Handheld GPS units

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ010

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a handheld GPS so that I can mark spots on lakes that I fish. The only thing I'm scared of is that the lakes won't be loaded into the software.. I know the places I fish don't show depth contours or anything, but I just want to be able to get out and mark the spots where I want to set the boat.

I've used GPS in the military quite a bit, but the units we used were really not useful for what I'm trying to do.

Does anybody use them, or have any recommendations on what to look for?

I don't want to break the bank... but I don't want to get a POS either.. I think Brine has an eTrex, but I can't remember. I don't remember what he told me about it chartplotting either, but I remember it showed speed.

I have a Garmin e-trex. Very simple device, no bells & whistles. NO maps, not in color. Useful for me when I'm hunting new areas or fishing new lakes. It has a compass, speed indicator, back tracker, trail marking, etc. you can input a point to store or input lat. & long. points. Like I said, simple device, fits in a tackle bag or pocket and it's under $100.

i bought the etrek legend a couple years ago, and it shows speed and you are able to set about 500 locations. it works well but i seldom use it. i'm just not a big technology guy. for me it takes too long to mess with it, i'd rather just get my line in the water. i originally got it to take my daughter geocaching. that is kinda fun if you have a young kid, kinda like a treasure hunt for them. most people set geocaches near something interesting to see, so it gets you out to places you may not have known about. anyway, that model seems like a good all around model for fishing as long as you don't mind taking the time to set your locations. it has a fairly good base map in it for streets, but nothing for lake contours, or land contours, but there is software you can buy for it. it is usually accurate to 5 or 6 feet, according to the display. cost was about 150

yea, those are basically what I'm looking for - I just wasn't sure if I could input coordinates or not - but with google earth, that's basically what I'm looking to do (input lats/longs into the device with coordinates from google earth)

Thanks guys - I did a search for handhelds on here after I posted this and found about the same info... should have done that to start off with, but I like getting more opinions later after people have used them for a while

Brine said:
Russ, mine has more features than I know what to do with.

I really only use mine for speed and marking spots on the lake. Lemme know before you buy, and I may sell you mine.

This is what I have https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-Color-Handheld/dp/B0002MQ744

My new Humminbird has speed and GPS built in. Don't know if I'd ever use the handheld again.

that's basically what I'm looking for. I didn't buy the fishfinder with GPS because I didn't think any of the lakes I fished would be on there... but either way, let me know when you're ready to let it go. I'm in no hurry

russ010 said:
that's basically what I'm looking for. I didn't buy the fishfinder with GPS because I didn't think any of the lakes I fished would be on there... but either way, let me know when you're ready to let it go. I'm in no hurry

July 3rd.

Haha... ok I'm all set and ready to fish Varner.

Am I bringing my boat or are we using yours? Makes no difference to me

russ010 said:
Haha... ok I'm all set and ready to fish Varner.

Am I bringing my boat or are we using yours? Makes no difference to me

Yours if you don't mind. If you wan't to see what another 55# TM would do, lemme know and I'll bring it and a battery. We could use the GPS and see what if any difference it makes.

You mean add 3 trolling motors on the rear?

We can try, but I move pretty good now that I've got them set at the right heights and angles.

I was looking at getting an 82 or larger for the rear, but I've changed my mind and I'm just going to keep the 71 on the front and the 2 55's for now... money is tight!

Everybody up north uses the Lowrance H20C handhelds. That is what I have and I love it. It comes with a base map with minimal detail, but you can buy additional map cards depending on where you are at. The ones for Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin have some lakes mapped to 1 foot increments. It has a color screen that is easy to see in the bright sun, plus you can put the cursor on a lat and long and have it navigate you to your cursor. Plus it is waterproof and floats.

I use it to mark structure, I can also retrace my route if it was a good one, I use it for hunting to mark my deer stands and good places to hunt pheasant. All around it is a very useful tool and I wouldn't be without it on unfamiliar lakes and hunting lands.

russ010 said:
You mean add 3 trolling motors on the rear?

We can try, but I move pretty good now that I've got them set at the right heights and angles.

I was looking at getting an 82 or larger for the rear, but I've changed my mind and I'm just going to keep the 71 on the front and the 2 55's for now... money is tight!

Just a thought. It would let you know the value of adding a third, and I only suggested it since I will have the gps. Once I get mine ready for the water, I would like the opportunity to experiment with different motors. For example, what if any impact does having 110 vs 165# of thrust at the transom have considering the extra weight of the battery on top speed? Pretty sure max hull speed for your boat is around 5.5-6 mph. I'm guessing you're around 5 with that setup. You then have to determine if the .2 - .5mph increase is worth it or not. I also want to see how the speed varies with both of us up front vs back etc.....So consider it an opportunity for me to do some R&D for mine... :wink:

Personally, if the funds allowed I think I would run just one of the 101's on the back and be done with it.

I have the Garmin Etrex as well. Every time I go to use it the batteries are dead. It's laying around my house somewhere collecting dust.

Latest posts