TN Aquarium?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
This Friday the wife and I are taking 3 of the grandkids (5, 4, & 2 yr olds) to the TN Aquarium in Chattanooga (about a 3 hr drive from here). Anyone ever been there? Looks like a neat place that the kids will enjoy.

My wife and I took our daughter and my mother there last year. It's the first large aquarium that I've ever been to and we all enjoyed it.

My little girl thought that she wanted to see the dinosaur movie at the Imax until we got in there, then it scared her.

There is a park directly across the river that has a large carousel and fountains for the kids to splash around in. She had a ball running through all of those things and rode that carousel 4 or 5 times. There is a pretty good ice cream parlor near the fountains as well.

Yes, it's a nice aquarium. Lots of interesting displays. The freshwater exhibits are really neat. They have some monster Bass, Crappie and Cats. You should have a good time. If you get a chance, eat at Sticky Fingers BBQ. Share some pics of your trip when you get back.

We have been to the one in Gatlinburg, TN several times. It was OK seemed kinda small though.. The kids enjoyed it, that's what really matters.

I agree with what the others have said about the Aquarium - it's a cool place and our kids still talk about it from time to time and it's been about 4 years since they've been there. Hmmm, maybe we don't get them out enough??? \:D/

And if you drive another hour and 1/2 south, you get to see the world's largest right here in Atlanta. Actually, I've been to both and they are both good. The last time I was at the TN aquarium, they were having a jellyfish exhibit with blacklights.....That was pretty cool. They also had a little round pool where you could pet the sturgeons that are native to the TN river. Chatanooga is a neat city. We did IMAX while we were there, but we also have that here in ATL. I've always wanted to do the trainride up the mountain. If you haven't done it, Rock City and Ruby Falls are close by and both worth saying "been there done that".

Have fun and take lots of pics!

Great info guys, and wish we could make it to Atlanta also. Traveling with the grandkids, especially the 2 yr old, our day trip to Chattanooga and back will be pretty tiring on them (and my wife and I, lol). Will take pics. 8)

Chattanooga in general is a fun town. There's the Aquarium, I-Max, Lookout Mountain, Ruby Falls and Rock City. A solid Saturday or Sunday of fun. We go up for the day once a year or so. Even though I can look out my office window and see the Atlanta Aquarium I've never been in it. I do like the one in Chattanooga though.

looks like a great place, their website says they have a blue cat that's 5 and 1/2 feet long, if that's right that is worth the trip right there. wonder if i could sneak in my rod and some cut blue gill. :twisted:

Well, made our trip with the 3 grandkids to the aqaurium yesterday and everyone had a great time. Roundtrip mileage was around 460 miles :shock: . The kids were in awe over the displays of the various water life there. Their favorite was probably the penguins and the gator displays. Outside temps were around 96-98 degrees, but outside there is a wading "creek" with flowing water (maybe 1' - 2' deep) where you can cool your feet, and it's situated in the shad under a large pedstrian bridge. A few people there had their small children in swimsuits and they were immersed in the water. We let the kids hit that before we got on the road. Well worth the visit and would do it again. I also discovered that gas was only $2.46 on the other side of Nashville, as compared to the $2.68 to $2.74 here.

Note: If you're active duty or retired military, purchase the aquarium tickets there (vice online) and save yourself a couple bucks or so.

Grandsons messing around at the wading "creek"
normal_Christopher___Jadon___wading_pool.JPG

Gator tank:
normal_Gator_tank.JPG

Granddaughter at one of the fish tanks:
normal_Kilee___fish.JPG

Waiting for Sturgeon to swim by in the tank where you can touch them:
Sturgeon_Tank1~0.JPG

jonboat in fish tank: (even had a rear trolling motor rigged)
normal_jonboat_bottom1.JPG

I saw the 5' catfish that was mentioned (there's two of 'em) and took a pic, but I wasn't quick enough to catch all of it as it swam by. (see bottom of the pic)