Any Mechanics out there?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Thought I would post this here just in case any of you guys know more about vehicles than I do. I'm a DIY kinda guy if I can at all(hate taking my vehicle to a shop if I can avoid it).

Anyways, I'm having a problem with my 00' GMC Sierra. When I go to start the truck, I get a grinding sound sometimes if I hold the key more than maybe 2-3seconds upon startup. It doesn't do it everytime, but its been doing it for awhile, and now seems to be slowly getting worse. Its never not started for me, and doesn't sound like anything bad. Pretty sure its got something to do with the starter...just not sure how to go about checking it. From what I understand, My starter is fairly easy to access(I think).

So for any of you guys that know anything about this, Where should I start?

It could be the teeth on the starter and ring gear are not meshing together as they are supposed to. You could take the starter off and check the teeth on it. You could also take the inspection plate off the bottom of the bell housing and check the teeth on the ring gear/flywheel to see if there are any ground down or worn teeth on it. You will have to turn the engine over by hand and inspect the whole circumference of the ring gear. If the teeth are not meshing it will continue to get worse until it will not start. If that happens you may be able to start it by turning the engine over by hand to a point where the teeth are in better shape on the ring gear. I have seen some vehicles that have a bad spot on the ring gear an inch or two long and cause this kind of problem.

we dont see many problems with gm starters. but it sounds like your starter is staying engaged to long, the grinding is the pinion and flywheel teath

heres the replace process straight from GM since im at work and its rite here

1 Disconnect the negative battery cable
2 Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
3 Remove the protective shields as necessary.
4 Remove the starter solenoid shield.
5 Remove the starter to transmission close out cover bolt.
6 Disconnect the engine oil level sensor connection.
7 Remove the front axle mounting bracket through bolt nut, if equipped with four wheel drive (4WD).
8 Reposition the front axle mounting bracket through bolt until the bolt tip is flush with the support bushing. Do not remove the bolt, if equipped with 4WD.

9 Remove the mounting bolts from the engine block.
10 Slide the starter forward until the starter clears the transmission.
11 Remove the starter transmission close out cover.

Disconnect the positive battery cable and wiring harness from the starter.
Remove the starter from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

i

Install the starter transmission close out cover.
Install the mounting bolts to the engine block.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Reposition the front axle mounting bracket through bolt until the bolt is fully seated. if equipped with 4WD.
Install the front axle mounting bracket through bolt nut, if equipped with 4WD.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 90 N·m (67 lb ft).

Disconnect the engine oil level sensor connection.
Install the starter to transmission close out cover bolt.
Install the starter solenoid shield.
Install the protective shields as necessary.
Remove the safety stands.
Lower the vehicle.
Connect the negative battery cable.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

So if it is staying engaged longer than it needs....Would it more likely be the starter itself? Would this be something that could be fixed? Or will I probably be looking at a new starter? :(

Is the starter staying engaged after you release the key? If so, I would guess just the starter needs to be replaced. The bendix(toothed gear) on the starter may not be retracting back away from the ring gear after the key is released. There is a spring that is supposed to push it away from the ring gear after electrical current is shut off to the starter. Shavings or metallic dust from the starter/ring gear teeth may have gotten into the starter and binding the shaft the bendix rides on. It is normal for small amounts of dust to accumulate there. Over time the shaft may become worn and pitted from the dust and hang in the engaged position.

Sounds like you need a new motherboard :mrgreen:

Nah, you have a bad starter - easy fix and very well described above

Well, Its not really after I release the key. Its kinda wierd......It actually seems like it does it while i'm holding the key forward. I have to basically "pop" the key forward to start it without it doing it.....when I do this, the motor kinda hesitates to get going sometimes because by just "popping" the starter I don't think the motor gets enough intial "crank" from the starter. If I hold the key forward more than maybe 1-2 seconds(to get a good crank on the motor), it grinds. When I release the key, it stops. And its wierd, like I said, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. :?

Could be worn bushings/bearings in the starter also. Myself, I would replace the starter as a first step. I would also inspect the ring gear while I had the starter out. Make sure your electrical connections are tight when you install the new starter. Loose electrical connections can cause weird symptoms also.

Replacing the bendix requires rebuilding the starter. You could have it rebuilt at a starter/alternator shop. I would shop around to find the price of a new or remanufactured one, and then get the price quote from the shop and compare the cost with what you are willing to spend.

Yeah, Thats the thing....I'm really limited to my spending right now, so if I can find someone to rebuild it...thats probably the route i'm gonna go. Cheapest (online) price i've been able to find so far is about $169.99. :|

Latest posts