Heat temps, Hydration, and general tips

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
I think we had a discussion concerning this awhile back, but thought it might be good to bring it up again. With the recent heat indexes going well over 100 degrees lately, everyone should keep in mind to stay well hydrated, whether you're out fishing or just outside doing whatever. What I normally do prior to taking the boat out is to freeze a large bottle of water. I use one of the "Smart Water" bottles as they're larger than other bottles and the plastic is a little sturdier than some. Fill it up, leaving room for expansion, and stick it in the freezer the night before. The next morning put it somewhere in the boat that is accessible, but not in the direct sunlight. The other morning when I was out on the water, I kept the bottle in the storage compt of the boat, and I had nice cool water for the entire morning I was out. If you drink a lot, take more than one bottle. In my opinion, sport drinks are okay, but should be supplemented with water. Of course, I had my morning cup of coffee with me when I launched, then drank the water afterwards. Also, don't forget to have some snacks handy, and also wear some type of hat (preferably something light in color to help reflect sunlight) to keep the sun off your noggin, and sunglasses. :)

Feel free to post the tips/methods you use while out in the heat. 8)

Waterwings said:
sport drinks are okay..

Not really... for every soda you drink, you'll have to drink about 3 bottles of water just to make up for the sugar content

I'm a big Mountain Dew fan, and it's basically all I drink. But when I'm out on the water all day, you can't get me to drink one hardly because of all the sugars in it.. I'm not saying you shouldn't drink soda's at all when it's like this, but you're hurting yourself more than helping..

russ010 said:
Waterwings said:
sport drinks are okay..

Not really... for every soda you drink, you'll have to drink about 3 bottles of water just to make up for the sugar content

I'm a big Mountain Dew fan, and it's basically all I drink. But when I'm out on the water all day, you can't get me to drink one hardly because of all the sugars in it.. I'm not saying you shouldn't drink soda's at all when it's like this, but you're hurting yourself more than helping..

I'm speaking more of the electrolyte replacement type drinks instead of the soda/soft drink type. You're correct, in that the sodas are not good for you, and I hardly drink them, but I do consume quite a bit of sweet tea (not while fishing), which contains too much sugar also. I know people who thrive on the sports drinks thinking that drinking them all day will help, but from what I understand, it will mess up your electrolytes. Water is the way to go. :)

I'm with Russ. I love caffeine, but being a diuretic I stay away from it in the heat. I'll generally have a coffee on the way to the lake to wake up. After that I'm water only.

Haven't done it with fishing, but when I used to race motorcycles, during the summer while wearing a leather suit I would occasionally take a Potassium table with the tons of water I was drinking to keep from getting leg cramps. Honestly though, if's that hot I'm not fishing.

poolie said:
I'm with Russ. I love caffeine, but being a diuretic I stay away from it in the heat. I'll generally have a coffee on the way to the lake to wake up. After that I'm water only.

Haven't done it with fishing, but when I used to race motorcycles, during the summer while wearing a leather suit I would occasionally take a Potassium table with the tons of water I was drinking to keep from getting leg cramps. Honestly though, if's that hot I'm not fishing.

Bananas are a good source of potassium also, and that's why you'll see runners eating one normally before or after a run.

sport drinks like gatorade and powerade are good for replenshing fluids and electrolytes at first... but for total hydration, you need good ole' H2O... The hydrogen and oxygen is really what keeps your body going.

russ010 said:
sport drinks like gatorade and powerade are good for replenshing fluids and electrolytes at first... but for total hydration, you need good ole' H2O... The hydrogen and oxygen is really what keeps your body going.

Absolutely!
thumb_thumbs_up_pic.jpg

Dont wait till you are thirsty to drink. Thirst is the bodys warning of not drinking enough. Stay hydrated.

Also take plenty of breaks out of the sun.