I'm back

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Got home around noon yesterday from our annual leadership academy in TN yesterday. 6 days in the sun (normally it's 8 ), so I've got a pretty good farmers tan going, lol. Everything went well until Thursday afternoon. We had just eaten lunch and were sitting outside (in the shade), and one of the instructors told me the headlights on my truck were randomly going on and off. He thought I was messing around with the key fob buttons and didn't mention it sooner he said. Anyway, I went over to the the truck and the headlights would come on, then go off, and I could also hear a clicking sound from under the hood :shock: . Took it down the street about half a mile to a Ford dealership and had them put it on the diagnostic machine. Turns out it was the Gem Module, which supposedly controls a lot of electronics, including fuel injectors, windows, lights, etc. according to the service dept manager. They didn't have one in-stock and said they couldn't get one until Friday morning. I told them I was in town on business and was leaving Friday morning. They made a phone call and got a module from another dealership and installed it. At 4:15 that afternoon I went to get the truck, and $697.55 later I'm home. Taxes were about $60 on that install. They had told me the cost would be around $660 prior to me authorizing them to do the work, but I didn't have much choice in the matter, as I didn't want to be stranded on I-24 halfway home. I bought the truck new in June of 2001, and this is the first major electrical/mechanical thing that has ever happened to it, vice replacing a front passenger window, and a new battery, so I feel pretty lucky. [-o< . I've been thinking that I may just contact the Ford dealer here in town where I buy my vehicles, and ask them what a new Gem Module cost with labor included, just to satisfy my curiosity as to whether the out-of-town dealership jacked me knowing I was not from there and had to get home.

welcome back ww :D

sounds like a cool trip except the truck thingy and forken out $700 bigguns. Whats your oppinion on these new warranty's they advertise on a tv offer now? I haven't checked to see what they cost but, not eager to pay out on something that hardly breaks down either.

Glad things went well.I hate those GEM modules they are a pain in the *** to get to.Most fords are behind the dash close to the center.My Ranger has one.GEM=Generic Electronic Module It controls the body functions lights,air bags,security system,electric windows,etc....It doesn't control any engine functions such as fuel injectors or fuel/ignition management.That is left up to the OBDII PCM.Those GEM units are around $300 for Ford trucks,some are coded to the vehicles VIN number,so is the OBDII PCM.I wish I had never became a mechanic. ](*,) I should have went into a high paying career and just paid to have my vehicles repaired. 8-[

Thanks for the welcome back fellas :) . Yep, I wasn't a happy camper about the electronic failure (or the cost), but nothing I could do about it, and am thankful it didn't happen while we had the grandkids with us at the TN Aquarium a couple of weeks ago, 3 hours from home.

Latest posts