I have an annoying problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
FLIES on my porch. It seems constantly. Not just a few, I'm talken like they are there for food or something of intrest. I have tried sprays and fly strips, it don't work cause its a 10 minute treatment, they come back.

I keep it clean for the most part-you know no food left onit, spills sprayed off, but they seem to love it on my porch. Of course the Dang things get in the house when ya open the door. I'm making sure I'm not attracting them with stuff they love.

Right now all there is on the porch is an old bottle of water from last night, firework wrapping a 5 gallon bucket of wood sealent and chairs. Anyone know of what really works to keep those suckers off my porch?? :x

They are attracted to blue colors,why,I don't quite understand why.They also love the smell of meat and dead meat.Could there be a dead rodent around or under the porch?Sounds like they have eaten a dead animal and are swarming looking for their next meal. https://doyourownpestcontrol.com/flies.htm

Sounds like the perfect testing ground for an argument around here. I sometimes work at a wild game processing facility, and one day when i walked up, I saw several clear plastic bags full of water; a couple hanging from hooks, and another couple setting on tables. I didn't see any minnows in them, so I asked what the deal was, and I was told that they keep flies away. Nobody there could explain how, just that someone had told them to try it and it seemed to be working. I never tried it myself, but it sounds like you have a perfect testing ground, and what could it hurt?

Henry Hefner said:
Sounds like the perfect testing ground for an argument around here. I sometimes work at a wild game processing facility, and one day when i walked up, I saw several clear plastic bags full of water; a couple hanging from hooks, and another couple setting on tables. I didn't see any minnows in them, so I asked what the deal was, and I was told that they keep flies away. Nobody there could explain how, just that someone had told them to try it and it seemed to be working. I never tried it myself, but it sounds like you have a perfect testing ground, and what could it hurt?

Now that you mention it, I recall someone awhile back at work talking about the water in a bag method, and they said it worked fairly well.

Jim said:
Come again? I am lost....

Hanging bags of water keeps flys away?

That was my reaction, but these guys swore it was helping a lot. Supposedly the view through the clear bags of water disoriented the flies or something. No one really knew why, but they swore that it helped, and you can imagine that flies could be a problem at a meat processing facility.

It's worked for us! We placed them at the front and back doors, just a sandwich baggie with water in them, and we haven't really had a problem with flies. Someone also told us to put a penny in them which we did. I don't understand how it works but it sure seems to keep them away. This is our 3rd year of doing it.

I wish I would have had one yesterday out fishing with bassboy1... I had 1 fly hit me 3 or 4 times right on the soft spot infront of my ankle... I swatted at him with my hat and realized I was wearing my visor - #-o

But - my Dad hangs these bags around the barn and in the garden.. I think it's something with light refraction.. put some 3D glasses on (like you get at the movie theater) and look at the bag. It will literally drive you nuts. I don't think he puts flakes or pennies in them, but it's just adding another color to the spectrum

The water in a bag thing is a very strange tactic, hope it works for you though.

I grew up on a dairy farm (lots of flies). My grandma used to always put a big jar on the steps with half vinegar and half water filling about half of the jar. She would put a lid on it with holes about the size of a fly. Not sure why, but the flies would get in, but not back out. She would have a jar full of flies a day to dump out.

Good luck, very annoying problem indeed.

Thanks guys, will try it. Figured I'd ask here, I know WW asked about the ant issue that time and got help. So its being done as I type :D

With all these bags of water hanging around (lots of pun intended) , wouldn't that cause a mosquito infestation?A little puddle of water left sitting around here and it's hard to go outside without bug repelent on.

It seems that Natetrack's remedy reniggs the old saying "you catch more flies with honey instead of vinegar!"
My father in law has used the water bag trick for 10 years and hasn't had any problems. They are surrounding his hunting dogs pens.

ben2go said:
With all these bags of water hanging around (lots of pun intended) , wouldn't that cause a mosquito infestation?A little puddle of water left sitting around here and it's hard to go outside without bug repelent on.
the bags are sealed, so there is no standing water to attract mosquitos. when i was younger a restaurant i worked at used that method, i guess it worked, flies weren't a problem. hard to know without some kind of control group setup to compare.

Well, well.

I've been to 3 World's Fairs and a billy goat breeding but I've never heard of hanging bags of water for flies.

Please report back to us on it's effectiveness. I can see that simple trick coming in real handy at times.

:roll: they just sit there now, actually get between the screen door and regular door more it seems, they haven't run off yet :|

Latest posts