Fishing camp begins! (fishing day update - pic heavy)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alumacraftjoe

Reaction score
Will update as the week goes along w/ pics and such. I teach a fishing camp each summer. 10 kids this year and I actually have some that have been fishing before which is good. We spend three days on campus learning and then fish the fourth day at a local private pond. Teaching a ton of basics and it sure is fun to see their eyes light up. The fishing day will be hard to top last year (had a big cicada hatch last year) We caught a bunch of cicada's and the fish tore em' up! Last year a girl in camp caught a 4lb bass on the the first cast of her life.

That's awesome man!

If I'm not tourney fishing, I'll pick up some june bugs (the bigguns) and put it on a hook with my texas rigged worms. Each time I've done that (only twice) I pulled out 1 bass at 5.3 and another at 5.0... it's a great bass catcher!

its good to see folks like you take the time. When I was at home with my son, I was his troops scout leader, I had a lot of fun with it, the frustrating part was the parents used this as a baby sitting thing mostly, drive by the meeting place and drop the kids off, The sad part is they didnt want to be active in their sons activities. I even had a parent tell me once, "Thats your job!" I had a lot of fun going out with the boys camping and teaching them. and I tried to be very active with my son when it came to this, I just didnt understand why the other dad's didnt want to take part with the camping trips.

Jim said:
Good job man!

Give me some warning next time and I can donate a few things if needed.

Ditto that

Let us know - I always have extra stuff (not as much as Jim because he just buys tackle and rarely fishes0 but still a good bit

Thanks for the offers of stuff! Will definitely give you all more warning next year :lol: Tuesday Update. Great camp today.. everyone learned to tie a Palomar knot! We did a lot of casting practice, learned about lakes/reservoirs, learned about large mouth bass. (Each day they learn about a different fish that will be in the pond we are fishing - yesterday was bluegill, today bass, tom. will be catfish) Here are some pics:

the crew:
Jul062009013.jpg

The day two casting contest winner:
Jul062009014.jpg

Day two casting contest second place:
Jul062009015.jpg

Snack time thanks to my wife who made the cupcakes:
Jul062009002.jpg

Jul062009001.jpg

Captain Ahab said:
Jim said:
Good job man!

Give me some warning next time and I can donate a few things if needed.

Ditto that

Let us know - I always have extra stuff (not as much as Jim because he just buys tackle and rarely fishes0 but still a good bit

Same here, that is awesome! I might be able to donate as well.. Just give me the heads up...

How did you get this group together and where are you doing it?

I'd be interested in doing something like that here - I wouldn't charge them anything, just think it's great to get kids involved in something different than video games at a young age... I've got the private lakes to do it at also

russ010 said:

I'd be interested in doing something like that here - I wouldn't charge them anything, just think it's great to get kids involved in something different than video games at a young age... I've got the private lakes to do it at also

make sure you have insurance to cover anything that could possibly happen.. you know how people are these days, sue happy...

russ010 said:

I teach and our school does an extensive summer camp. I do charge, but keep the cost low... low ... low! I cover the cost of the fishing poles which each kid keeps and I pay my nephew to work the week. Keeps him out of trouble and he can use some spending money as most of you know the story about his deadbeat dad. Anyway I do not keep any of the money. I also have a person who pays for anybody who wants to be a part of the camp and can not afford it (3 kids are scholarship kids this year). When I first started doing this I did it outside of school and did not charge, but I can't not charge as a part of the school program and the liability coverage I get from school I needed to join the rest of the summer camps. Back to your question... before the school camp I still did fishing week and I got kids from my school and from church. If anybody decides to do something like this I have tons of tips and pointers that I have learned from working with the kids over the past several years. Especially organizationally and safety and preventing injuries.

Wed. update. A lot of casting practice today. Same boy won the casting contest for wed., but we had another kid come in second and it made his day! Taught the kids about catfish and river systems. Taught the cinch knot today.... much harder for kids than the palomar, but had six of the ten able to tie it! Here are a couple of pics .... many more after our fishing outing tomorrow.

Jul072009001.jpg

Jul072009002.jpg

Jul072009003.jpg

Jul072009004.jpg

Well we hit the pond today for the final day and it was awesome. Nobody got hooked and everyone caught fish. 3 kids hooked huge catfish... however it was catfish 3 - fishing camp kids 0 as all 3 fish straightened out the small hooks. Total haul for the day - 57 bluegill caught and one bass. The kids did a great job casting and putting to use what we learned as we had very few tangles so I couldn't be happier. I even got to teach a dad who came along how to put a cricket on the hook. Well here are some pics...

My kids Taylor and Nicholas came along - Nicholas fished a bit and caught one towards the end and Taylor fished her favorite cricket jig long enough to catch one - first fish of the day! They both spent most of the time helping others by baiting hooks and helping the other kids w/casting:

May152010001.jpg

May152010013.jpg

Here are several of the camp kids:
May152010002.jpg

May152010003.jpg

May152010004.jpg

May152010005.jpg

May152010006.jpg

May152010007.jpg

May152010008.jpg

May152010009.jpg

May152010010.jpg

May152010011.jpg

May152010012.jpg

May152010014.jpg

Hey Joe,

Just want to say that it's a good thing you're doing here. Keep up the great work and God Speed man.

Take care and stay safe.

Wolf

Latest posts