Driving Long Distances? Need suggestions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Ok guys, My trip up to Canada is coming up in August. From my house to where i'm gonna be staying is gonna be a 16-17+ hr drive. I've never made a trip like this by myself(or drove this far period), so i'm kinda nervous. What would you guys suggest on making the trip? I don't know how well i'm gonna be able to take that 16+hr drive, so i'm not sure how to plan my trip up. Keep in mind, I will be towing my boat, so that is something to consider too.

I originally thought about stopping somewhere and staying in a hotel for the night, but kinda concerned about leaving my boat and everything parked somewhere. :|

So just looking for possible suggestions or opinions.

dunk50 said:
When in August are you heading to Canada

2nd Week(8th-15th) I'll actually probably be leaving out on the 7th and driving through the night more than likely.

1. Eat healthy - really makes a difference in comfort. Do not down lots of fast food and salty snacks no matter how tempting. Pack lots of cold drinks (I use a small cooler on the seat next to me), Bottled water, iced coffee 9home made), some gator aid type stuff, etc.

2. Take pre-determined breaks. Say every 4-5 hours of driving, get out and force yourself to walk around for 10 minutes.

3. If you are not going to get a room then be ready to sleep in teh truck. Pillows, blamket, etc. And at least take a nap.

Good luck!

I make a lot of 5-6 hour drives back from SC to GA when I have military... I usually wake up at 430am, work til 4:30pm, drive an hour to my parents, eat and then get on the road... generally around 8pm. I will take one of those 5 Hour Energy Drinks (try one before you get on the road... never know how you will react). I only drank half of one and it woke me up big time - my first time drinking it. I also carry a cold, wet wash cloth in a zip lock back to rub my face and neck with when I start feeling the tiredness come on. If I were you, I would really try to get atleast 5-6 hours of good sleep before hitting the road. If you would wait and leave that morning around 3-4am, you'll be able to last through the day a lot better.

If you do get tired while driving, pull over on the side of the road right then... don't wait until it's too late thinking you can make it. I've drifted off a time or two and woke up going 60mph down the center median, so don't put your life or anyone else's life in danger... the fish will still be there no matter when you get there!

russ010 said:
If you do get tired while driving, pull over on the side of the road right then... don't wait until it's too late thinking you can make it. I've drifted off a time or two and woke up going 60mph down the center median, so don't put your life or anyone else's life in danger... the fish will still be there no matter when you get there!

Agree one million percent, Done it myself. You would be surprised what a 10-15 minute cat nap can do.....seriously.

Jim said:
russ010 said:

Agree one million percent, Done it myself. You would be surprised what a 10-15 minute cat nap can do.....seriously.

I'm definetly not going to push myself on the trip. Like has been mentioned, I will be stopping every so often to get out, walk around, etc. If I get heavy eyed, I will definetly be pulling over.

There should be no problem driving 16-17 hours. I drove trucks for twenty years and many times I have driven that long although it was illegal for truck drivers to do that. Just make sure you get plenty of rest before the trip and you should be fine. Keep an eye on your trailer axles and wheels. Make sure your axles do not get too hot. You should be able to touch the hub without getting burned. Take a grease gun and add grease to the axles if you have to. If they do get hot let them cool before driving off again. A spare hub would be a little insurance if have one. Take a spare tire also for the trailer. You do not want to leave your boat beside the road to go find tires or bearings. Good Luck.

KMixson said:
A spare hub would be a little insurance if have one. Take a spare tire also for the trailer. You do not want to leave your boat beside the road to go find tires or bearings. Good Luck.

I plan on taking a couple spare wheel bearings, a grease gun, and will have a spare tire as well. So i'll have those just in case.

SiriusXM radio, Energy drink, and 20 min. cat naps every 4 hours will do the trick! Can you take a portable CB radio with you? Might give you some entertainment or at least someone to talk to..

I plan on having lots o' music definetly. I'm also planning on looking into a Energy Drink that will be safe for me(I am a diabetic). I have been reading about one imparticular called "Pit Bull Energy Drink". Anyone ever try these?

I have found that when I drive long distance like you are going to be doing, planning the route ahead of time to include stops at points of interest, scenic views, and stuff like that helps time go by faster, and will also keep you awake. Plan your route and then schedule a stop every 4-5 hours or so at someplace cool. Take some pictures, check out the vehicle/trailer, walk around and see the sites and then hit the road again. It works great and you get to see some of the local attractions wherever you stop.

Good Luck and be safe.

Make sure you have something to snack on (healthy or non), it keeps me going. Good tunes are a must, cruise control is your friend...

eat some pasta's and fruits the nite before you leave (they store carbs)

make sure everything on your truck is ready for that many miles

and have all your dope smoked before you hit the boarder :mrgreen: lol j/k

Great info in the above posts, but I highly recommend not using cruise control while driving at night, espacially if you've been on the road for awhile. Although I use the heck out of the cruise control during open-road daylight hours, it can tend to lull you to sleep because you're basically just sitting there steering. Being comfortable on long trips is great, but being too comfortable can cause problems.

Waterwings said:
Great info in the above posts, but I highly recommend not using cruise control while driving at night, espacially if you've been on the road for awhile. Although I use the heck out of the cruise control during open-road daylight hours, it can tend to lull you to sleep because you're basically just sitting there steering. Being comfortable on long trips is great, but being too comfortable can cause problems.

I highly agree... I hardly ever use cruise control because it takes your mind off it and let's your mind wander about the fishing experience you're about to encounter!

Ever drove a few miles and not even remember going through lights or making turns because you were thinking of something else? Scary stuff - and I do it all the time

Waterwings said:

I agree!.. plus isnt cruise control a bad thing when pulling a boat sort of like pulling it with the vehicle in overdrive? just something that i had heard..

cyberflexx said:
Waterwings said:

I agree!.. plus isnt cruise control a bad thing when pulling a boat sort of like pulling it with the vehicle in overdrive? just something that i had heard..

Good point also! Whenever I two the boat I turn the overdrive off.

If you're pulling less than a 1000lbs with a V8 you can run in over drive.V6s are iffy and I wouldn't do it with a 4 cylinder.

Loggerhead Mike said:
eat some pasta's and fruits the nite before you leave (they store carbs)

make sure everything on your truck is ready for that many miles

and have all your dope smoked before you hit the boarder :mrgreen: lol j/k

:LMFAO: :LMFAO: :LMFAO:

Latest posts