Dog ear issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My dog keeps on shaking his head and scratching at his ears. Does not seem to be mites. I do get in there as best I can with Qtips to clean out a bunch of earwax (no foul smell). Any ideas on what I should try/do? Home remedies?

I don't feel Like taking a $400 bath at the Vet......again.

I clean Kodiaks ears with this mixture - 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 white vinegar and 1/3 water. I took an old visine container and I'll drop 8-10 drops in each ear (with him laying down). I'll keep it in there for about a minute and try to keep him calm and massage his ears at the same time. After about a minute I let him get up and shake it out, then do the other ear. I'll then take a Kleenex and wipe out anything I can

He had an ear infection as a puppy and my vet said to do this to keep me from having to come in and pay his fees. I try to do it once a month, but he hasn't had any problems since then

What type of dog? One of my parents dog's has a chronic ear problem. They have to give it medicine in the ear and clean it out good once a week. I am pretty sure the meds were pretty inexpensive.

of course, if it doesn't fix him it sounds like he might have some kind of bacterial infection that it couldn't take care of

Try what Russ mentioned. Have had to do that with one of our greyhounds a couple times and whatever it was went away. For best results warm it up a little so it's easier on their ear.

Jim said:
He is a Boxer!

I did 50/50 alcohol and White vinegar, but he runs when he smells it. I will dilute it and see if I can get him to stay.

that's a pretty strong mixture... put another 50 of water in it. You're going to have him whimpering and trying to get away and everything else, but it should work. Don't let him smell it... be a ninja and sneak up on him :lol:

From here.....

"Sounds like your dog might need an ear flush from the vet. It is done with a mild sedative and all told is about $160. Then, once a week (if your dog has floppy ears) you can use a product called Veterinarian's Best. It is an all natural ear relief wash and drying solution. They contain tee tree and other soothing things, you can buy both at the regular pet store"

My yellow lab has to have his ears cleaned once a week. Always has. I use a cleaner that I get on-line from www.drsfostersmith.com
It's called Ear-Clens & comes in a liquid and pre-moistened pads. Pretty inexpensive.

I have two basset hounds so I KNOW EARS I use a 50/50 water vinegar fix the ear canal squeeze the ear to wash it around.. then take cotton balls and get what i can out the dog shaking will get most of the junk out just be sure to fill the canal to help loosen it up

I would definitely pay close attention to it and have it looked at professionally. My Sheltie/Aussie had those symptoms and he eventually went deaf.

Latest posts