Cops & Lawyers... whatda ya think ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocWatson

Reaction score
What To Do If You Get A Traffic Ticket

This system has been tried and it works in every state including West Virginia.

If you get a speeding ticket or went through a red light or whatever the case may be, and you're going to get points on your license.
Below is a method to ensure that you DO NOT get the points.

When you get your fine, send in a check to pay for it. If the fine is $79.00 make the check out for $82.00 or some small amount over the fine. The system will then have to send you a check for the difference, however here is the trick.

DO NOT CASH THE REFUND CHECK! Throw it away!

Points are not assessed to your license until all financial transactions are complete. If you do not cash the check, then the transactions are NOTcomplete. The system has received its money and is satisfied and will no longer bother you.

Very interesting Doc. In 30 years on the job, I never heard of that - but then, as a police administrator (retired almost a year now:), I don't really know (nor did I care) how our Secretary of State (Illinois) maintains it's pojnt assessment files, etc. We get conviction information (and of course, revoked, suspensions, etc.) on every stop our officers make but no info on points.

Certainly your method would be worth a try :)

Who on earth comes up with this stuff. I just have to wonder who tried it first and found out that it works.

That will not work - by sending in payment without a plea (guilty or not guilty) you will be assessed a conviction which may (depending on the offense, whether the State or Commonwealth is involved in a compact, and other factors) result in 'points" in your state of residence

All that will happen is the uncashed check will make its way into a general "unclaimed property" fund

Ask for deferred plea. It is basically "probation" on a traffic offense. The jugde will usualy grant it as long as your drivining record is ok. You still have to pay the fine. They will set a time frame like 90 or 180 days. As long as you don't receive another ticket it is treated as a dismissal and does not go onto your record. This applies in most states. TX, LA, OK, MS, AL, AR, NM. & CO for sure.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's something from an old email that I found last night. Didn't really think it would work and seem to recall visiting Snopes as BA did. I just wanted some practical first-hand thoughts on it from those who dealt with this sort of stuff in their careers.

Latest posts