Some pictures of us on the new, non tinboat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
Well, we have had the boat out a couple times. Its really good for us. Its a 77 Tuffy Tri-Hull with a 1986 35hp Mercury with console and power tilt trim. I had to put an impeller in, but figuring the boat, motor, trailer only cost me 280 dollars it was no biggy. Here are a few pictures from the other day.

1411sw5.jpg

6xtesm.jpg

2cr6h01.jpg

x243ko.jpg

30x7ic9.jpg

I'll get some pictures of the actual boat itself up soon. We are going to get the lights and stereo wired up early next week and we will be set for some night time bowfishing.

By the way, Those Zebco 808's we are using are loaded with about 75 yards of 100lb Power Pro :p

It is a longnose or spotted gar, fairly small. Longnoses and spotted's look similar sometimes, but both are legal. Sometimes spotted gar don't have a lot of spots, and sometimes long nose gar have spots.

You need to come down here to my home lake and "fish" for some of these gars. I could go for a few less of them. :)

Captain Ahab said:
Why are you shooting those gar?
Gar are good to eat. They have two completely boneless backstraps like a deer, and have the texture of lobster or shrimp.

Also, gar are nearly impossible to get on a rod and reel, even by snagging, so their population goes pretty much uncontrolled as there aren't really any predators above them in our waters here. You literally have to use tin snips to clean them because their scales are so hard. Their mouths are also extremely hard and you can't get a hook to set in them.

You can catch a gar on a rod and real. Use a sturdy cork, heavy line, and a 6ft steel leader. Two trebble hooks set about 2 ft apart. Use a small piece of fraywed out white nylon rope about 4-6 inches long on each hook. They tend to roll like alligators. WHen they do it rolls up and tanlges into the line and the trebble hooks will set. We cath them all the time. Bow fishing for they is more fun. You have to be carefull fishing with a rod cause the strike fast and you will loosed you pole quick if you aint paying attention. It can be fun.

Nevillizer said:
You can catch a gar on a rod and real. Use a sturdy cork, heavy line, and a 6ft steel leader. Two trebble hooks set about 2 ft apart. Use a small piece of fraywed out white nylon rope about 4-6 inches long on each hook. They tend to roll like alligators. WHen they do it rolls up and tanlges into the line and the trebble hooks will set. We cath them all the time. Bow fishing for they is more fun. You have to be carefull fishing with a rod cause the strike fast and you will loosed you pole quick if you aint paying attention. It can be fun.

I know of a couple ways to catch them, but a lot of people don't, or they don't know how tasty gar is.

One night on the piers I caught 3 over 5 feet long. They came down the river into the bay with all the rain the week before. The fight was INCREDIBLE. Didn't know what to do with them, or how to get them landed, so I let pressure off the hook till they threw it. It was a great night fishing. They were caught on finger mullet with circle hooks. It's one of my favorite fish stories to this day.