Right Handed People and Spinning Reels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmytruck

Reaction score
Ok in short what hand to you use to crank the reel? I was at a local bait store the other day and my buddy was showing me his penn greenie and the handle was on the left side so I asked him your left handed? Nope right handed ( Note greenie handle can note be switched).. So he has a few Van Staals and all of the right handed models have the crank on the left side.. This so does not makes sense to me, If buy a right handed baitcaster the crank is on the right side and if I buy a right handed spinning reel the crank is on left :!: #-o .. That makes no sense to me why this is the way it is..

So what hand do you use to crank your spinning reel with???

thX
X

I want my strong hand hanging on to the rod! This is why I don't like bait casters.
Everyone in my family is right handed and cranks with their left hand, but I think we are in the minority.

Same here, everythying needs to be on the right. I have tried lefty many times, I just cant get used to it. I find myself moving the rod in a circular motion with my right hand to compensate. :LOL2:

I am right handed, and crank with the left. I do it this way because I cast with my right hand, so it doesn't make sense to me to switch the rod to my left and crank with my right, I'd rather just cast and start cranking with my left. Always done it this way.

I'm right handed... and I use right handed bait casters, and left cranking spinning reels. I have a lot better control with a left cranking spinning rod, but only because that's what I grew up on. I do have a few reels where I can change it from a left to right or vice versa crank

I'm a lefty.. I cast with my left and crank with my right. Spinning reel, baitcaster, spincast, anything. I can cast a baitcaster with my right hand and to the hand swap before lure smacks water trick as well.. I prefer to cast with my left though..

I am right-handed. I use my right hand to hold the rod and left hand to crank with. This applies to both spinning and bait-caster reels.

I'm righty and crank with my left but have been considering a right wind baitcaster for crankbaits so I could switch off and give the other side a rest.

I can reel a left-handed reel about as well as I can throw a baseball left-handed... not very well. For some reason the idea of casting a baitcaster with my right hand then switching it to my left hand so I can reel seems natural. Doing the same thing with a spinning rod feels weird. So I don't own any spinning equipment.

I'm right handed and crank with my left when using a spinning reels. I use both right and left hand retrieves when using bait casters.

It doesn't matter to me. If the handle is on the left I'll cast with the right. If it's on the right I'll cast with the left.

Using a spinning reel, whose handle is not reversable, to crank with your right hand is kinda like walking around all day like this.....

Attachments

• Upsidedown.jpg
    Upsidedown.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 810
An endless debate, but from Yahoo Answers.....

"Spinning Reels are made to be used with the reel down..... Most like to put 2 fingers on each side of the base for balance and ease of opening the bail and casting. Most of the time when you see someone using a spinning reel upside down they are in a commercial and probably down't even fish. The anti-reverse is not used for reeling when the reel is upside down it is used for fighting big fish."

russ010 said:
I'm right handed... and I use right handed bait casters, and left cranking spinning reels. I have a lot better control with a left cranking spinning rod, but only because that's what I grew up on. I do have a few reels where I can change it from a left to right or vice versa crank

Me 2. I have tried using left handed baitcasters so I wouldn't need to switch hands when casting. I didn't like it, felt weird.

DocWatson said:
Using a spinning reel, whose handle is not reversable, to crank with your right hand is kinda like walking around all day like this.....
Well I have been walking like that since I was six, my first reel was a zebco 33 and I cranked with my right. When I got older and moved to a spinning reel same deal crank on the right. Now that I am thirty three I don't think I am going to switch hands now.. I understand that the power hand makes the cast and then you just start reeling with your left. But I have always switched hands mid cast and started to reel with the right.. Not sure if this old dog is going to learn new tricks..

Jim said:
Same here, everythying needs to be on the right. I have tried lefty many times, I just cant get used to it. I find myself moving the rod in a circular motion with my right hand to compensate. :LOL2:

Thats right jim I think me and U learned how to fish together, I fished onced on the left down at key west and it felt werid every time I caught fish would reel instead of pulling back on anti-revrese.

thx
x

Latest posts