What a pisser.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
We went this morning to go pick up the "Carolina Skiff," that we had left the security deposit on. Well, we get there, and the guy is a total @$$hole.

The boat is not a Carolina Skiff, but he claims that he knows nothing about boats, and that is what the title from the person he bought it from said, which he showed us, and it did. But, the transom is shot, and has a piece of unpainted 5 inch angle iron bolted to it. The deck is soft, and has holes, and the tops of the gunwales are separating from the sides. We politely point out that it wasn't a Carolina Skiff, and that the boat is completely trash, and asked if he would be interested in selling just the outboard, as it is in reasonable condition. He said he has 500 in the boat, and that is what it would take to get any part of it off his property. So we politely told him that we weren't interested, and started to leave.

He seemed frustrated that we didn't help him put it back in the corner of the yard, where it had been plucked from to look at it. So, we are backing out, and accidentally run over his mailbox. This guy is enraged now. He obviously thought we had done it on purpose, as we were now forfeiting the $100 security deposit, for him to hold it for us. But, we had in no way asked to get that back, and never asked to drop his price, other than asking to buy the motor separate. We apologize, and hand him his mail off the ground, and start to drive off (this guy is a jerk, and already has an extra $100, so we aren't going to pay a penny more) and he blows up. He starts screaming at us, for not paying for his mailbox. Now, The piece that is broken is a 15 dollar piece from Lowes, and if someone had any ingenuity, could me made for less than 5, with 10 minutes of work. Without changing the tone of our voice, we tell him that he has 100 dollars he could put toward fixing his mailbox. He says that is not for his mailbox, that it was to make up for the 5 people who called, who he had to blow off, because we were coming. Yeah right. If that is the case, he coulda told them he would call them back, if the first buyer didn't come through. And, once they realized it was not a Carolina Skiff, they wouldn't have bought it, at that price. Also, he claims he is just trying to get back the 500 he had in it, but I can guarantee that he will still try to get 500 more, and not just break even.

Because it was an accident, we feel no qualms about knocking his mailbox down, and because he is an @$$hole, and has our 100 bucks, we feel no qualms about not giving him fifteen.

I am not too overly upset about the 100, as I knew from the outset that it was non refundable, but it is still rather frustrating.

I would insist on my deposit refunded as he mislead you and then I would offer to repair (or pay to repair) his mail box. That's just me cause I can flip that same attitude right back at someone without any problems. As a matter of fact I could have been driven to ask for the police to be called so an accident report could be made. Prolly could have gotten the deposit back as well as gotten out of paying for the mailbox. Hope you didn't scratch your truck.

I guess I'm the only one who feels this way BUT
buyer beware if you gave the non refundable deposit that is separate issue from damaging his mail box.
A Carolina skiff for $500 would have been a steal unless it was a piece of junk as you found out.
just my opinion but the mailbox should be replaced.

just my .02 worth sorry

Wayne

I will start out by saying, if he didn't have our 100 dollar deposit, AND wasn't such a jerk, he would have the cash for a new mailbox bracket. But, as I said, we never got mad, and never even asked for the 100 dollars back. We realized we made a mistake, and learned from it. When dad and I were looking at it, we were making comments to ourselves, about what was wrong with it. Everytime we said something, he kept defending himself, saying it was like that when he bought it. I don't care who broke the boat, but if it is in that condition, I don't want it. He seemed to think that we should buy his boat for his asking price, because he wasn't the one who damaged it.
We aren't going to pursue our 100 dollars, as Craigslist is buyer beware. We made a mistake here, and are willing to learn from it, not make our money back from someone else, as he is.
A Carolina skiff for $500 would have been a steal unless it was a piece of junk as you found out.
Right, but that is how almost all of our boats are bought. That is how we make profits selling some of them, but we got a little lax on this one. We didn't ask for more pictures, and the ones he had, were of parts of the hull that did look like a Carolina Skiff.
I wonder what he spent the $500 on for the boat?
He bought it planning to restore it, but when pulling nasty carpet out, he decided it wasn't worth it. He said nothing about the major damage, and when we pointed it out, after he insisted that he didn't do that damage, he told us how easy it would be to repair it. I will tell you now, that this boat is totaled. That boat is too rotten, and the whole hull has been majorly weakened.
Hope you didn't scratch your truck.
That is the least of our worries. That has been the family work truck, since dad bought it new, in '89, and shows a lot more battle scars, than a scratch on the bumper.

just my .02 worth sorry
Don't apologize for your opinion. You have a right to yours, as I do to mine. I may disagree with yours, but that matters not. If you met the feller, you may have a different opinion, but you weren't there, so yours is based on my post. Nothing wrong with that.

This just makes me love Aluminum boats more. We buy almost all of ours at below scrap value, so even if it is totalled, it still has some value. And because aluminum doesn't rot, there is still a lot of life in a dead boat, a new deck, and interior, and mechanics, and it is still a good boat. At this point, the only glass boat from this age range I would buy, would be a Whaler/Carolina skiff, and in the future, if something like this comes up, we will be a LOT more careful, than we would with aluminum rigs, because of the limited possibilities, and if something isn't as advertised, there is little possibility of making it work.

Latest posts