I need to buy a weed whacker.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody recommend one?
I really don't want to spend the coin on something that makes me do work, but I have to. I want a gas one, but there are so many brands and choices.......

There is only one brand you should look at when buying weed whackers and chain saws.

Stihl. Nuff said.

huskavarna (sp?)

we've always baught the cheap-o brands from lowes but the last go around we baught a used huskavarna from a landscaper and man its sweet. im sure theyre pricey new but the power is great since most our weedeatin is cutting down the thick foilage and sapplings that grow around our woods banks

Poulan, Weed Eater! I have beat the heck out of mine and other then wearing through a power head (easy fix) it start up and eat weeds

Also good for whacking!

I currently have a Poulan that has been decent for the last 5 years. The pull rope mechanism sucks. I've had to have it fixed once already and now it feels like it only catches about three teeth for every pull of the rope.

I have an expensive Echo sitting in the shed that was temperamental about starting from brand new. I need to carry it to a shop and have them get it running again. I got it when I traded my mom a Homelite Bandit that I loved. It was extremely light and powerful for it's size and she couldn't handle her Echo any longer. I think she let the carb get gunked in the Bandit from lack of use and has since gone to an electric. I need to go get my old trimmer back and get it running. I've liked it better than any that I have had before or since. When the Echo crapped out on me within a month of trading my good trimmer, I bought the Poulan just so I wouldn't have to mess with the thing any longer.

What do you need it for? For Joe Average to trim his 1/4 acre, Craftsman will work fine for years. If you have serious work then you should spend more & get something gooder.

When I was in high school I was doing a lot of yards, including 1 local cemetery that required almost all weed eating because it was OLD (and huge). Anyways, I saved up and bought a Stihl for $400. That was 1995, and it still looks and runs brand new today... which reminds me, I need to go and weed eat the fence before I leave for Alabama.

Buy something that is going to last... my dad just bought a new Echo. I don't think he likes it as much as my Stihl because he wants to trade with me.

Pay for something that will last, and another piece of advice - buy whatever you get from an actual dealer. Lowe's and Home Depot don't carry the same grade of equipment that the dealers sell... and it does make a difference

I have a troy built that I got at Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember). I also got the cultivator attachment for it and use that in my garden all the time. Under 200 for both and if the weed whacker goes bad in a few years I will just pick up a new one. I do not have a ton of weed eating to do so it does fine.

I also have a troy built, works alright for what I have, but if my yard was any bigger I would go with Stihl or Husqvarna.

I have had two weed eaters in my lifetime and both have been "weed eater" brand from Wal-mart. The only reason i bought a second one was the fuel lines dried up a little and started to crack and when i went to replace it it was a royal pain so i spent about 65 bucks or so and just bought another one! It's been goin now for probably 4 or 5 years w/ no trouble.
BTW........i'm not rich,i was just feelin lazy :mrgreen:

I had a Ryobi with all the attachments.Wish I hadn't sold it.I got a crappy 27cc Homelite piece with curved shaft.I am only 5'8" and I still have to bend over to use it.I'd stay away from Weedeater and Homelite for sure.

I would recommend buying Echo brand. I had my own lawncare business back in 98' and bought 2 and both are still running great. ( i gave one to my neighbor about 4yrs ago).They sell them at H.D. stick with straight shaft if left handed, head rotates away from your body. good luck with your purchase.

I bought a gas powered Weed Eater brand at walmart for 80 dollars back in 2000 and its still running good. I do take care of it and prepare it for winter etc... I only have about 200 ft of triming around my house.

pbw said:
I bought a gas powered Weed Eater brand at walmart for 80 dollars back in 2000 and its still running good. I do take care of it and prepare it for winter etc... I only have about 200 ft of triming around my house.

That's a good thing to bring up.the amount of trimming to be done.I have a 400 ft ditch to trim,200 ft of wood line to trim,4 out buildings,20x20 garage,3 houses,5 mail boxes,swing,3 heating oil drums,4 light poles,600 ft fence line,and 3 drive ways.I am sure that I am forgetting something but that is the major stuff.I have 2 acres and it takes me a full Saturday to do my lawn work.

Stihl FS85 is a good machine. I guess they still make them. I bought mine about '99 or so, still running good.

talltimber said:
Stihl FS85 is a good machine. I guess they still make them. I bought mine about '99 or so, still running good.
That is what we have. I guess we got ours in '97 or '98. Have you ever used the brush blade on it (not talking about the square one, but the full circular blade). It is amazing what you can clear with that machine. Back before we moved into this $*#^ city, and had some land out in the country, it regularly got used for clearing large brush and such. Easily cuts 2 inch trees, and we have cut a few 3" ones with it as well, giving it a couple passes.

Latest posts