Puppy Discipline

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassAddict

Reaction score
Just wanted to get your thoughts on this, what do you guys think about using a spray bottle to discipline a puppy? We started by praising good behavior and giving a firm NO with a tap on the bottom for bad behavior, but when we do this the puppy we adopted (Lollipop) just seams to get more aggressive. Today we changed our tactics to praise when good and a firm but calm NO followed by a squirt of water if she did not respond for bad behavior. Is this a good discipline routine or are we setting ourselves up for failure?

Have had a lot of success training over the years w/ water bottle spray technique. Mostly w/ golden's and now a lab. Works really well for me especially on nuisance barking and staying off of furniture and counters. I spray and use command at the same time. Spray/No for barking.... spray/down to stay off. When it comes to jumping on people best way I have found is to just lift your knee.. the dog hits your knee with its chest (only takes a few times with the off command to stop the jumping behavior... at least for the large breeds I am used to training). Good Luck! Mine just turned one... and is a lab so we still have a ways to go.

I have used that on cats, but not dogs. My dog wears a shock collar when outside. Spray bottle would be same type of strategy though.

I give a calm NO for bad behavior. If it continues I give another calm NO and then low shock. If it continues it is sharp NO and high shock. Same could be used with the spray bottle. calm NO, calm NO spray, sharp NO spray. They learn to listen on the first command that way and after the first few days I haven't had to even shock her.

Good luck. it is just trial and error to find out what works for you pup.

something i used with great success is a rattle can. i took a small metal can and put a dozen metal ball bearings inside. when they do something wrong shake it twice, fast and hard, and give the appropriate command. my pup was a howler when put in his kennel, 3 times with the can in maybe 2 minutes followed by 'quiet', and he was cured. then when we started leaving him out in the house while we were gone, he'd bark when we got home. we put the can by the door and used it when we walked in. it took him one lesson to learn that one. most dogs can't stand that noise, so hope it works for you if you try it.

our lab is alittle over one now and smart as a whistle.

never try'd any method but a good hard bust on the *** for bad behavoir wile saying NOOOO. works like a charm on any animal we've had, but we've only had labs, chows, and a stray kerr dog. my brother had a little'r dog that if you busted its *** for bad behavior it would get pissed. i recon there just different personalitys in dogs

Loggerhead Mike said:
our lab is alittle over one now and smart as a whistle.

never try'd any method but a good hard bust on the *** for bad behavoir wile saying NOOOO. works like a charm on any animal we've had, but we've only had labs, chows, and a stray kerr dog. my brother had a little'r dog that if you busted its *** for bad behavior it would get pissed. i recon there just different personalitys in dogs
so do you beat kids for doing things they don't understand are wrong?
the water bottle is a humane way to train your dog

"so do you beat kids for doing things they don't understand are wrong?"

I think you're making quite a leap from swatting a dog to beating kids.

I have never squirted a dog with water, sounds like a mess. "No" usually gets it done. "No", show them what you want them to do. And repeat, seemingly forever on some dogs. I use no more pressure than I have to. I think "too much" pressure negatively affects the trainer-animal(dogs, horses) relationship, particularly when there is an inexperienced "trainer" in over his head, and doesn't know when to release the pressure. This situation usually ends with a frustrated "trainer" and a confused animal, no fun for either. Timing is everything.

My chessie loved to be sprayed in the face with the water hose. I don't think a water bottle would have quite cut it on him. :lol:

I'm still using the water bottle method on my wife's chiwahwahs and our cat, works like a charm. It's almost to the point that I don't have to actually spray now, just show it with command.

Thanks for the responses all, the squirt bottle has worked like a champ!! The morning of this post I came down stairs to a puppy that was growling/snarling and fiercely attacking my heels as I walked to get a cup of coffee. Then after about lunch time (and a few good squirts) she started to fall inline but would act up if she did not see the squirt bottle. So I ran to wal-mart and got a few mini squirt guns, (8 for 3 bucks) These have worked out great since she dont know if i have one or not, but most of the time it just takes a firm no anymore. Today during lunch if she got too close to my food shed get a few squirts and shed back off, there was no yelling/correcting, it was great!!! Just a firm BACK and if she did not back up a squirt until she did!!

glad its working for ya im gonna have to get my gf a squirt bottle. she got a new puppy (cant recall the breed off hand) but its off the walls. if you spank it
so do you beat kids for doing things they don't understand are wrong?
just to clear things up i dont beat the dog, i meant a good spank. and yes i will turn my kids buttcheaks red if they misbehave

Loggerhead Mike said:
glad its working for ya im gonna have to get my gf a squirt bottle. she got a new puppy (cant recall the breed off hand) but its off the walls. if you spank it

That was this dog the more you yelled or tried to correct it, the more it came back at ya! Also let us know how ya make out, Im feeling like that dog whisperer guy with this water gun trick!!!!

Latest posts