Is there a a lure that...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Is there a lure that:
  • Is about 2.0 - 3.0 inches long

• Wiggles like a shallow crankbait

• Is predominatly yellow

• doesn't get hung on rocks at the bottom of the shallow river?

• and still hooks fish?

I have been losing shallow running cranks like crazy lately. Ordered a bundle of my favorite color from BYOB (site sponsor and awesome lures) and spent another $30 last night on 5 more for this weekend. Now I've figured out that the best bites (sometime only bites) are coming when the lure is 'diggin in' the bottom around the rocks in my local river. I think the fish find this irressisable. I can pull it accross the same area all day, but until I feel it hitting bottom, they mostly just leave it along. Is there a lure that can dig in and not get hung up much but still hook fish?

BTW, had 3 nice smallmouth while 'dragging bottom' during lunch today. What a great break in the day!

Thanks for any help,

Will

Loggerhead Mike said:
try taking the front treble off

That has crossed my mind... I guess it can't hurt anything if its one of the unlucky ones I will just lose anyway.

I might get some waders and go collect some of my lures back. I brought in two new-to-me lures in two days. Both spinnerbaits.

Will

Hi Will,

I've been in this same situation before, and I've found that small single point hooks, like the ones used for panfishing, get caught on the rocks less while still allowing for the hook ups. It looks kind of strange, having small panfish hooks on a crankbait, but it does help.

If you find a different type of crankbait that doesn't get hung up as much, I can paint it up to your specifications.

Thanks again for the mention in the OM!

Matt

So I took the front treble off, but the bait ran funny. It wouldn't sink or move right. So I pulled out a larger 'crimp weight' and crimped it on the hanging ring where the hook had been.

The bait runs better than before and I have only missed one fish that I know of. I tried pulling it right over rocks evem exposed ones and it came over them like a champ. I used the bait againt today since it was rigged. We were in the boat and a storm was coming so it was windy out. I missed a couple of casts and went over a wood dock,thru the crisscross metal of a another dock, and accross two plastic ones. It never got hung up. I only missed one really nice fish that just about jerked the rod out of my hands, but I caught three others before we got rained out. I was thinking of doing this with the rest of my crackbaits. It even shed the weeds pretty good. Kept me fishing instead of weeding the lake.

Matt, - I can't wait to start using those lures. Nothing I have bought has come close to catching them like that did. It was a killer on the lake perch and mid size (12-16) bass. You might want to make an extra for yourself and try it out :)

Will :D

Yes, that's a great idea. I ordered a few extra bodies of that style, and they just arrived yesterday. I think I will make an extra one. We've got a great little spot to try it out in, a small lake with quite a few bass and panfish.

Matt