Just got on the list for a 50 caliber airgun!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
That's right - a .50 caliber airgun! A Quackenbush airgun is one of the premier airguns to own-so I read. He only makes 50 at time, so production is limted. Every so often (3 or 4 months) he opens up the waiting list to another 50 names. The list stays open for about 2 hours and then you have to watch for it again. I just lucked out and got on the list!!!!! :D :D :D :D Cost is really reasonable for what you get compared to other options. I've been wanting one for several years now. :D :D

So I'm getting one of these - https://www.quackenbushairguns.com/bandit_1.html

Yes it will shoot just about anything I have a mind to... and more if I modify it some - but I don't plan on that. There are pictures on this site of a buffalo falling to one of his airguns!

Just another hobby demanding coin...

Will :D

I have a member on a state hunting site that exclusively uses air guns. He has taken several deer with his.

Congrats for making the list.

When I was a kid I had (and still have!!) a Benjamin 310 - it's a .22 caliber air rifle. We used it all the time for hunting squirrels and rabbits. I passed it on to my son a few years ago. It's still fun to shoot, but these boys don't want to waste time pumping it up each time they shoot it - they'd rather play with their airsoft guns.

A modified Crossman 2240 with extended barrel, custom breech, custom grips, self modified air chamber. It really pushes a 22 pellet fast. With this, I can shoot dime sized groups at 12 yards - which is all it takes to reach the bird feeder and keep these guys out of the basement.

groundsquirrel.JPG

:D

Actually I might be getting rid of mine to make room for the big guy... But if you look at these sites...

All airguns
https://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/

Crosman specific
https://www.network54.com/Index/12861

If you don't mind noise, a Crosman/Benjamin discovery is a nice rifle to have. Full packages of nice tuned (cleaned and polished) rifle and airpump on sale for under $300. Can shoot quarter sized groups at 50 yards - so some say. Benjamin came out with a 'Marauder" which is a repeater with a shroud (think silencer - it takes the 'bang' out but still makes noise). Much more pricey but sounds like an excellent gun.

Mine pistol cost me about $200 as I paid retail for everything but the new barrel, but you can buy them for half that used and they work very good.

About airguns... most are single shot (which is good because you can use different ammo types). 800 - 900 fps is the max you can really go and maintain accuracy. The 1000-1200 fps airguns advertised are low weight bullets that can't hit squat. Once you get over the speed of sound, it breaks the sound barrier and sounds like a rifle. Each airgun prefers a different pellet. Try a lot of them but most like Crossman Premiers (and their cheap)

There are 3 types of airguns
[*]CO2, fun to shoot but limited speed and can't shoot well less than 50 degrees. The gun above is a CO2 model
[*]Spriger (one cock) rifles, remember to hold loosly (artilery hold) so they can recoil... hard on scopes, but pretty cheap and easy to use. A cleaning and trigger tune (adjustment) shoud really increase accuracy.
[*]PCP - pump up with air, requires a hand pump ($200 ish) and can shoot till air runs low - 2 to 60 shots depending on type. My new rifle should get 4 shots per air fill.

If you buy a gun at Wallyworld, get a BIG phone book as backstop and run about 500 pellets thru it to break in the barrel. After a tune and break in, my last springer went from 5 inch groups at 10 yards to one holers (5 in one hole). I started drawing things on the target during breakin just to have fun.

It's easy to go overboard and it's addicting as well.

As I said before, another hobby demanding coin.

I have a Winchester 800X that has the most horrible trigger that I have ever seen. I need to do some research on how to remedy that.

Latest posts