Shark Attack exactly where we fish.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specknreds

Reaction score
:shock: :shock: :shock:

NOLA.com Coast Guard medevacs man bitten by shark in Breton Sound
by The Times-Picayune
Sunday August 02, 2009, 9:00 AM
A 56-year-old Mississippi man was bitten by a shark this morning while fishing in Breton Sound and had to be airlifted 65 miles to New Orleans, according to Coast Guard officials.

Coast Guard rescuers stationed in Venice received a radio transmission from the motor vessel Predator at about 10 a.m. that a passenger aboard the vessel had been bitten by a shark.

Dispatchers notified Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans, which launched an MH-65C dolphin rescue helicopter and crew. The Coast Guard caught footage of a rescue swimmer being lowered down to the boat and later bringing the man up in a basket.

The helicopter arrived in New Orleans at about 11:40 a.m., and EMS transported the man, who is from Jackson, to a local hospital.

His condition is unknown.

WOW :shock: This is exactly where half the pictures and fishing reports I post come from. :shock:
I've had several stringers of fish taken from me over the years by sharks while wade fishing, but never felt threatened. I had a trolling motor attacked by a 8 footer about 6 years ago. It ripped the TM anchors out of the fiberglass on a bayboat I had.

Hope the guy is all right. I'm trying to get more info.

Sounds like maybe he was bitten on the boat?

The couple that I have been onboard with, they made us clear the decks when it was brought onboard until it was dead because they go after the first thing they see.

Quackrstackr said:
Sounds like maybe he was bitten on the boat?

The couple that I have been onboard with, they made us clear the decks when it was brought onboard until it was dead because they go after the first thing they see.

May Have. They are showing the rescue footage on tv, but aren't giving any details.

Sharks have been making the local news a lot lately. They have caught quite a few big bull sharks miles up a couple rivers in MS and LA. Everyone knows that they will travel miles up freshwater rivers, but it seems like it is happening at a greater frequency.

there here in NJ :shock:
By ERIC SCOTT CAMPBELL Staff Writer, 609-272-7227 | Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 | 7 comments

Font Size:Default font sizeLarger font size.
Howard Sefton, of Captain Howard’s Bait and Tackle in Egg Harbor City, uses a blackboard to inform his customers about reported bull shark landings in the Mullica River.

Photo by: Anthony Smedile
. Reports of bull sharks in the Mullica River have prompted the owner of an Egg Harbor City fishing shop to warn customers who would consider swimming or rowing there.

These reports do not come from the state Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife, which has confirmed no bull sharks this year, according to its records. But Howard Sefton, of Captain Howard's Bait and Tackle, trusts the folks who tell him their friends or neighbors have hauled in a 4-footer, a 6-footer and a 7-footer in the past several weeks.

"I've had a couple people call me about it and tell me there were sharks in the Mullica. They're not going to swim there anymore," Sefton said. Asked whether he feared being pegged as an alarmist without proof, Sefton replied, "Better to err on the side of caution."

Bull sharks have never been seen so far up the river, Sefton said. The animals are known for entering fresh water and have attacked humans in a few infamous instances of U.S. history, including a series of attacks in 1916 off New Jersey.

Other veterans of Mullica fishing are staying skeptical.

"I haven't seen anything like that, and I do watch for things like that," said Barry Douglas, who mans the Lower Bank bridge across the river every weekend afternoon and night. "First I've heard of it, but I wouldn't be a bit suprirsed to see one. ... I've heard bull sharks come up (other rivers) that far."

News of the shark discussion frustrated Bill DiFilippo, owner of Nacote Creek Marina in Port Republic, just off the Mullica for recreational boaters.

"I think it's ridiculous," said DiFilippo, a 20-year area resident. "Bull sharks live in very, very warm water, and I can't see the water being that warm to support them."

Bruce Gehringer spent Thursday afternoon hanging a fishing line off the Lower Bank bridge, trying to catch a perch big enough to eat.

"I'd like to talk to somebody who's actually seen it. Usually the information you get is pretty good, especially from the people at Captain Howard's," Gehringer said.

Gehringer sometimes fishes the Mullica in a kayak, and he said he would not be scared to do so again.

"No, I'm curious. I'd love to see a shark," he said. "From what I understand, (bull sharks) are not aggressive. The stories you see on TV, seems like that's one in a million."

Sefton said he caught bull sharks off the beach in Brigantine four years ago. The following summer, reports of bull sharks in the back bay behind Atlantic City created a buzz.

Said Sefton: "I guarantee you if the water's warm, they're there. ... They're opportunistic. They'll take a meal if it's thrown in their face."

E-mail Eric Scott Campbell:

[email protected]

.Posted in Atlantic on Sunday, August 2, 2009 10:35 pm

njtom, my dad and I caught one on a trotline years ago on the Pearl River in MS about 10 miles upstream from where it dumps into the Gulf of Mexico.

I got the rest of the story. The guy was wade fishing at Breton Island (where most of my reports are from). He said they saw the shark cruising around. It all of a sudden ran into him, not biting him. Then disappeared. A few minutes past and he came out of no where and grabbed his ankle. The guy is in stable condition.

This will make me think twice about wade fishing there. I have wade fished there for the last 25+ years. I have had several stringers taken from me but never felt threatened. The guy DID NOT have any fish when he was bit. I also had a trolling motor ripped off the front of my boat by a several hundred pounder not 10 yards from the bank about 7 years ago.

Latest posts