Lunchtime fishing, police, hobos, and kids....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Yeah, lunch was interesting today. Most times, I like to fish a bit during the lunch break. Here is the spot...

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&so...458,-88.229109&spn=0.001255,0.002095&t=h&z=19

Today I arrived at the common spot and saw two bike police in the area, one was visible, one was low key - like on a mini stakeout. One very visibly crossed the bridge over the river and talked for a bit then went on. The other kept a watch out. There were only 3 other people fishing compared to 8-15 normally, so it was a bit unusualy anyway. Then I saw the 'disturbance'. A homeless guy had just bathed himself in the fountain by the dam and was drying off (mostly clothed). 'Whatever' I thought, he's gotta wash somewhere and the fountain does look nice. I continued fishing. When he dressed, the other officer left.

Another homeless guy showed up, then moved on. Myself, I have never seen so many homeless guys outside of downtown Milwaukee. The whole time I was doing my darndest to catch a fish. The guy eyed me for a while (20 minutes) until I picked up my bag and kept it on me. Then he was looking around for something else. He found it in 2 kids (11ish boy and 8ish girl). They rode their bikes up, parked them up high, unloaded about 25 lbs of gear and bags and started fishing. The homeless guy packed up his stuff and moved off. I kept track of him (self preservation) for awhile, then lost him. About 5 minutes later, the kids moved away from their bags and amazinging the homeless guy showed up. He spent a minute eyeing up their belongings.

Once I saw him, I moseyed on over and put myself between 'the goods' and the guy, all the while fishing. I guess people say I make a presence, 6'1'' 225lbs, but I don't feel that way. Anyway, the kids came back and we chatted for awhile and the guy must have thought it wasn't worth it and left. I waited there for 20-30 more minutes, but had to get back to work. I told the kid to move his bag to a less-accesible area and lock up the nice bikes they had parked behind them. You should have seen his eyes get big as 50 cent pieces when I told him someone was eyeying his backpack !

Anyway, lunch took a bit longer so I get to work late tonight - and I was going to go fishing tonight too :(

Yeah there are some pretty shady characters in that area. A bath in the fountain hey. Why didn't he just walk through the car wash down the street? :mrgreen:

angry Bob said:
Yeah there are some pretty shady characters in that area. A bath in the fountain hey. Why didn't he just walk through the car wash down the street? :mrgreen:

because he's afraid they might offer him a job...

Wasilvers,
thank you for using the word "hobo", it's definitely making a comeback and I'm behind it 100%. I'm going to be in your area tomorrow, Brookfield and plan to fish lower Nehmabin(sp?) with some buddies in kayaks. The weather is supposed to clear up by mid-day, if you see a guy in a yellow sit-on-top kayak it might be me, and I might have a flyline for you :lol:

I don't know if you guys listen to much hard rock music.. but Theory of A Deadman has a new song out that is awesome.. The name of the song is Hate My Life, but it's still good...

First verse goes like this....

So sick of the hobos always begging for change
I don't like how I gotta work and
They just sit around and get paid

I'm not posting the rest of the song, but if you want to get a kick out of it you really need to listen to it instead of read it. Here is the link to the words (https://www.elyrics.net/read/t/theory-of-a-deadman-lyrics/hate-my-life-lyrics.html) - some of it's not G-Rated... probably not even PG-13, but it's all in good fun

That's funny, I was going to fish lower Nebabin(sp) too - what a coincidence. If it isn't raining/thundering, I'll be the guy in 1970's alumium boat with a evinrude on the back. Probably watching the depthfinder more than fishing as I've never been there before. A buddy told me yesterday that he was catching limits there. I just need a couple of fish for a fish fry. 8) Don't know if I'll have a kid with me, or friend, or anyone yet.

Will

Nickk - went out today - didn't see a yellow kayak though. Don't suppose the thunderstorms scared you guys off! :shock:

Didn't catch many fish though. Just a few northern, a few bass, a few perch... all just under legal size.