Boating report... What a jerk.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Last night I was fishing with my 2 kids. It was 45 minutes to sunset and we were 10-15 yards off the shoreline (lily pads) fishing a point when a ski boat came roaring up. Now picture this, the opening to this bay is not wide, maybe 65 yards across. I am fishing outside the mouth, not even near the middle, about even with the shoreline on one side of the bay working my way to the mouth of the bay. As I said, we were not far from the shore and anyone can see us there and where we were fishing. This jerk slows down while passing us (a blessing I guess), but passes on the nearshore side running his boat right outside the lily pads, right where we were fishing. My daughter (using a 1/32 jig and 10 lb line - no weight - if that shows you how close we were to shore) cast out in front of his boat and had to reel in to avoid him running over her line! He slowly ran thru the area we were fishing and when he got to the mouth of the bay (where I usually catch a couple of bass) gunned his engine. Not to get on plane, but just to gun his engine. He then proceeded at no wake to his house on the lake and parked his boat.

I wish this site wasn't PG becacuse you can imagine what I was thinking. I was a great time to give the kids a lesson on how to respect other people's fishing and be aware what is going on around you.

Now if I had been catching fish there, and I had a nice weight on the line, I might have left a ding in his pretty clearcoat. But then I had the kids with me...

All I can hope is he gets his...

It happens all the time on my local lake those dang ski boats are annoying . I was about swamped by one a few months ago some jack*ss drove by me in his ski boat and turned hard leaving 3 1/2' of waves crashing into my 14' boat I wasn't a very happy, just gald I didnt go over. These ski boat drivers have no respect/common sense to stay away from people fishing or small boats. Heck even the big bass boats on the lake hate the ski boats they rock the bass boats too. Anyhow we would all be better with out ski boats lol. -Justin

I feel your pain man... that's why I usually fish electric only lakes, but they have their times too.

Poolie and I were fishing a while back and this guy in a kayak comes directly between us and the shore like we weren't even there. I thought long and hard about not pegging him with my jig, but I just said "thanks a lot buddy" in a very disgruntled voice. His only reply was "sorry guys" to which I said "it's too late for that" and I'm pretty sure he could see the red in my face because it was the same color as his kayak... I wanted to run him down with my trolling motors and say sorry as I hit him, but I didn't do it.

way to keep your cool and teach your kids the "right" thing to do even though we know what would have happened had we been by ourselves.

Yep... happens all the time. I was bass fishing on Cherokee Lake here in TN a few weeks ago with a buddy of mine. We were fishing a long point that is typically very productive and were sitting about 25 yards off the bank when a teenager on seadoo, run between us and the bank... not once, but twice within a 10 minute period. At that point, I decided it was time to go before I lost my temper.

Just this past weekend, another buddy and I were fishing on Douglas Lake. We were fishing a bluff when a couple in a pontoon boat comes around and pulls in front of us about 40-50 yards down the bank. The guy practically anchors the boat and starts fishing like nothings wrong. My buddy and I catch 3 bass on our way up to him. We pass him, speak and then catch 2 more bass in front him as he watched and wondered. We laughed all evening over that one.

Unfortunately with so many "newbies" to the water, I'm afraid this problem will get worse before it get's better.

Those things got propellers? If so next time dont have your daughter reel up the line instead tell her to open up the bail, assuming it was a spinning rod. :twisted:

The only attempt to fix it is mandatory boat schooling/and license to back it up. There has to be some training for God sakes, theres every kind of situation on the water thats 10 times more dangerous than on a road IMHO

I really think it should be this way on all boats, but you know the States would make it a money maker for them so it would cost us too much but, still save a life no matter from drowning or shooten someone [-X

We bowfish a river that has a lot of barge traffic, and between the dams on this particular stretch, you can get yourself into trouble fast if you run even 10 yards inside the channel markers. We have seen a lot of big cruising boats end up inside them at night, and they were getting into some skinny water with their props at a decent pace.

It's amazing seeing people on the river that don't know it during the day, running around at night.

Same thing here in Michigan- the boy and I were out when some guy in what I can only describe as a racing boat comes out full throttle all i saw was an yellow flash and a gigantic engine - yell this as loud as possible... WAAAAAAAAAA! that's what it sounds like. I was so irritated. I have to admit I was warned buy a collection of bass fishermen on my way out. I feel bad because not only am I beginning hate young people but now Boaters too. Am I getting crotchety? :x

You did say that you watched him motor back to his dock at his house on the lake, so you know where he lives. And I'll bet that even ski boats have drain plugs in their bilge.

I think I might pay him a little night visit. I understand that a little water on the wrong side of the hull can slow those things down dramatically. :wink:

sounds like your turning into a grumpy old man... lol j/k

you did the rite thing keeping your cool w/ your chitlins with you and thats the best way for them to learn a valuable lesson, being on the bad side of somebodys mistake

a few very loud cusswords and the middle finger always gets the jetski's away from me

a fellow mechanic at my work ( a wild man ) was nite fishing last year on his bassboat and told us how a guy with no lights came screaming up to them and started circling around them. he said after 3 circles he gto out his .357 and started shooting at the boat. he said the boat took off full throttle and ran straight into an island beaching it. i agree shooting at somebodys boat is the stupidest thing you can do but picturing that in my mind his hilarious. it'll make some drunk rednecks learn there lesson

DocWatson said:
You did say that you watched him motor back to his dock at his house on the lake, so you know where he lives. And I'll bet that even ski boats have drain plugs in their bilge.

I think I might pay him a little night visit. I understand that a little water on the wrong side of the hull can slow those things down dramatically. :wink:

My thoughts exactly - although I would just pee in his gas tank - that tends to slow the boat down very nicely

I thought about the same afternoon when I read the post. People have gotten to where they only care about themselves.

russ010 said:
Poolie and I were fishing a while back and this guy in a kayak comes directly between us and the shore like we weren't even there. I thought long and hard about not pegging him with my jig, but I just said "thanks a lot buddy" in a very disgruntled voice. His only reply was "sorry guys" to which I said "it's too late for that" and I'm pretty sure he could see the red in my face because it was the same color as his kayak... I wanted to run him down with my trolling motors and say sorry as I hit him, but I didn't do it.

talk with your fly fishin buddies. Grab up some old floating fly line. Put it on a special spinning rod and keep it ready. go to the same spot until he does it again and he will. He lives there and does not want you catching HIS fish. put the least amount of weight on it you can get away with. Fly line is much worse on a lower unit than mono. It does not melt into a nice little gasket. It will lock a motor up!! :wink:

Revenge is a dish best served cold...

I'd like nothing more than to add a little water to his bilge and the flyline sounds like an awesome idea - gonna research that a bit for future jerks. I thought the lake rules said something about not passing within 100 feet of another boat anyway, so ignorance would be a great defense against any legal issues. I may wait till I get my 50 cal airgun though, in case he want's to remedy the issue without consulting the authorities. Wisconsin is kind of picky on guns, but that's 'just a bb gun' - legal anywhere :---)

Will

I think I got an old fly line I could spare, in fact I know I have one that's clear that I don't need..... :lol:

That sort of thing happens all the time on KY Lake as well.

Truth be told, I had just as soon that happen as have had them pull right in front of me and start fishing. That happens all the time here as well.

If someone ever came by me like you guys are talking about, they could end up with a nice hole in the boat courtesy of Muzzy fish points. They'd have to be able to tolerate or ridiculously loud generator and the High Pressure Sodium lights on the bow first though :p

A friend invited me to go to Pickwick Lake (borders on MS, TN, AL)last Saturday and I couldn't believe how crowded it was! And some of these weren't small boats either. It's been years since I'd been over there but it was insane how close some of these people came past us. We were Carolina rigging lizards on steep drop offs about 30 yards from the bank so we weren't hugging it. The boat was constantly rocking back and forth and you had to really watch to make sure you weren't flipped overboard on some of the wakes that hit us. The jet skiers were the worst. I don't know if they don't have any concept of how close they came or not but it was tough to remain silent. We had his 11 year old daughter with us so we didn't say anything although a number of those clowns deserved a hunk of lead embedded into their head!

Latest posts