Jon Boat Downrigger Mounts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky508

Reaction score
Weather was to nasty today to get she who must be obeyed to give me a hand testing my new float pods, so I upgraded and rebuilt my downrigger mounts.

20191109_123145.jpg

20191109_123619.jpg

20191109_142026.jpg

Lost a total of 10 pounds by rebuilding the mounts with AL. I can move em up and down the boat if I have a partner fishing with me so they can run there own. Works alot better then a 2x6 strapped between the rails like of seen some guys do.
I suspect this would work for an old V- Hull too, where theres not enough material to bolt down a mount.

I have to admit I was kind of scratching my head until I saw that in addition to the clamps you have them strapped to the inside of the hull.

Out of curiosity, why did you include the piece of angle on the inboard side of the mounting plate?

It looks like you are using Chamberlain releases. I've sure heard good things about those. Been meaning to give them a try.

The angle on the inside was so I could connect the eye bolt of the turnbuckle to the plate.

The Chamberlain releases, I cant say enough about. They crank down on one side so you can load up the pole and set light enough on the other side so small fish will still release em. Or crank em up if you like!

Sent an email to the company one weekend, got a response from the owner that evening and I was sold. Wouldnt be without an extra pair in my boat now!

I would give em a dance and bet you wont be sorry!

Sparky508 said:
The angle on the inside was so I could connect the eye bolt of the turnbuckle to the plate.

The Chamberlain releases, I cant say enough about. They crank down on one side so you can load up the pole and set light enough on the other side so small fish will still release em. Or crank em up if you like!

Sent an email to the company one weekend, got a response from the owner that evening and I was sold. Wouldnt be without an extra pair in my boat now!

I would give em a dance and bet you wont be sorry!

Thanks Sparky. I currently use the Scotty clips. I think these will be a big upgrade. The clips I currently use are on a 18" or 24" leader while the Chamberlains are right on the DR line. So hooking the line to the release will be a little different but shouldn't be a big deal.

That's the only hang up I have with them, but the trade off is so much better in my opinion. I really like then as we fish alot for Kokannee and smaller fish. So nice not to drag around a fish all day.

Latest posts