SunRay 14’ conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtc1930

Reaction score
Picked up a trailer for my 12’ Mirrocraft from my neighbor and found out he had a 14’ aluminum v-hull boat he was looking to get rid of as well. He gave me the title to the boat before I had a chance to see it but the DMV code led me too believe it was a smokercraft.

After a week of baited anticipation I finally pulled the boat from behind his shed yesterday and saw it was SunRay and not a Smokercraft as I had hoped but at least it’s still 2 more feet of boat then I had before.

I do wish I could find more info on it but haven’t been able to find any info on SunRay as an aluminum boat company. Primarily just curious if the company disappeared because of poor workmanship or was bought out. Also curious what the boat specs were originally since the capacity tag does not have a weight limit (only HP limit).

Thinking I’m going to finally do a “bass boat” conversion on this one as the 12 footer was a little tight and limited in capacity. Hoping the 54” width will be enough stability. Needs the the usual transom wood and a good cleaning but had no leaks when I dropped it in the lake yesterday. There is some damage from water freezing in the channel near the beam where the aluminum folds over. Hoping that won’t be an issue long term but it’s like that in three spots. It also doesn’t have any type of eye hook on the front so looking to add one to make trailer loading easier. Hoping there is an easy way buried in these forums.

Worst case this will be my “practice build” for a 16 footer if it keeps my interest. Pic is of the 14 vs 12 foot which looks deceivingly the same.

d2d8b511e41842cdce3b16f793c454f5.jpg

e817e520e0041c8d4e6b7935837c17ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts