New Floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytebyte

Reaction score
Replacing the floor in a old Alumacraft. It had marine plywood in it but I will be going with bcx this time. I plan on just sealing the wood with a paint and primer in one. I have used old timers formula on other projects but thinking that sealing the wood with paint on both sides and edges should be good for this as I will be glueing carpet on it with outdoor adhesive and that should help seal it. Anyone see a problem going this route?

I've done paint and carpet before.. lasted only 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Not what I was hoping to hear, LOL. I had a portable ice house that had a painted floor and it lasted about 15 years and it was always wet. This boat will be covered when not in use.

There's paint and then there's paint. If it was me, I'd try an oil based porch floor paint. Keeping the boat in a garage should make a big difference too.

Mine is X ply & painted but I used up some old auto paint on it. That soaked in good. 6 years old now but it doesn't get wet much.

After thinking on it I am going to try a surface membrane that I use on floors and walls to waterproof them before the installation of ceramic tiles. Works great for going over cracks in concrete as it flexes and wood to seal it. Its a must use for showers. Called Redguard. I had done ceramic for 40 years and now retired. Heres hoping it works LOL!!

nytebyte said:
After thinking on it I am going to try a surface membrane that I use on floors and walls to waterproof them before the installation of ceramic tiles. Works great for going over cracks in concrete as it flexes and wood to seal it. Its a must use for showers. Called Redguard. I had done ceramic for 40 years and now retired. Heres hoping it works LOL!!
Sounds like a plan.. keep in mind.. water WILL get in, so give it a path to get out.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

nytebyte said:

Sounds like a terrific idea. Do you think it will be friendly with carpet or vinyl glue?

I will do a test on a scrap before I do the whole boat but the oudoor adhesive I have used in the past seemed to bond to everything. Will just have to make sure the Redguard is fully cured.

I put 4 coats top and bottom of the exterior 5/8" with a water sealer and 3 heavy coats with an oil based enamel topside only. That 8 years ago. Still looks good.
The floor would rattle in a chop so I trifolded some 1" by 6" strips of tire tube and stapled them where the floor rests on the lateral strakes. Aahhh silence.

Just an idea... My last boat revamp I used PVC sheeting. Stuff is amazing and so versatile. Cuts like butter and holds up well. Floors, seats, transom etc. it’s a little spendy but will last along time and so easy to work with. Can easily stick hydro turf type decking ontop as well.

Attachments

• 199D019F-4F1A-4018-A1BC-27D5E2DFEF01.jpeg
    199D019F-4F1A-4018-A1BC-27D5E2DFEF01.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 342
  • 88CE6FB0-0D30-4520-ADF2-045AEA24070A.jpeg
    88CE6FB0-0D30-4520-ADF2-045AEA24070A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 342

Latest posts