1960 crestliner "falcon" rebuild thread!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyitsmike

Reaction score
I already posted some pics in the introduction thread, but I thought I'd make a thread here for the rebuild progression here's some pictures!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446756904.092599.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446756921.303472.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446756937.935053.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446756951.665782.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446756966.155990.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446756976.403319.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446756986.508704.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446757009.276424.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446757022.444027.jpg

Here's the plan for the boat so far
- reinforce the transom
- buff the everliving snot out of the aluminum to make it shiny
-build some nice wooden benches
- I have half a mind to make some sort of wooden "scallop shelf" but we'll see when we get there
-I even have a period correct "merc 400" 45 hp outboard that will go great on it! (Though it will need some tinkering and maybe some touch up, I know it runs and good enough for me)
It's also the max hp that boat was rated for, so that should make it fast enough to be fun!

I also have the wrap around windshield and a couple of other little accessories.

Classy lil boat you have there. Even with all the little accessory items like the windshield! That alone will save you a ton of money. That old Mercury will really make it stand out from the crowd!

How about just rebuilding the transom? That would be the correct way and it's really not that difficult.

bonz_d said:
Classy lil boat you have there. Even with all the little accessory items like the windshield! That alone will save you a ton of money. That old Mercury will really make it stand out from the crowd!

How about just rebuilding the transom? That would be the correct way and it's really not that difficult.
Well that's the plan, but I may beef it up a bit in the process just because I'm neurotic about over-engineering hahaha

nice find Mike !! - where you from ?

everyone has their favorite boats - Crestliner just happens to be mine.
Take care of that windshield !! one awkward snap and it is in two pieces.
It may seem sound and firm but can actually have a spot or two that is
weaker than the rest - - - one minute you are smiling at such a find, then,
the next minute you are holding two pieces and crying like a little school girl
that someone stole her Barbie Doll.
When you get ready to make the wood seats, come back and ask some questions.

Thanks for the Photos !!!

Johnny said:
nice find Mike !! - where you from ?

everyone has their favorite boats - Crestliner just happens to be mine.
Take care of that windshield !! one awkward snap and it is in two pieces.
It may seem sound and firm but can actually have a spot or two that is
weaker than the rest - - - one minute you are smiling at such a find, then,
the next minute you are holding two pieces and crying like a little school girl
that someone stole her Barbie Doll.
When you get ready to make the wood seats, come back and ask some questions.

Thanks for the Photos !!!

Thanks! I'm up near Boston lol

The plexi on the windshield is pretty beat anyway, so I'm gonna just cut and bend a new piece and be done with it. The rest of the boat, rest assured, I will be going through with a fine tooth comb. Checking for stress, cracks, missing rivets etc. I have an idea to give it the similar aesthetics of something like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446846569.115357.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446846582.379246.jpg

that is a lot of buffing and polishing . . . .
#1 - stay away from those little "hobby" buffers.
Get a good quality 9" buffer and the assorted pads.
get the one pound rouge sticks and have at it.
Tons of good videos on YouTube on how to buff and maintain
aluminum surfaces. In particular: Airstream Trailers and Pontoon Boats.

but remember, that shiny showroom look only lasts for so long,
depending on your elements, then it is time to buff it all over again.

LOL that is why there are a lot of threads here that start with - HOW DO I PAINT MY BOAT.

Looking forward to seeing your project progress through the stages.

Lol, don't you worry, I have the right tools for the job.

After its stripped and buffed the first time, I figure it will be easier to do at the beginning of the season as "upkeep"

Sheens don't seem to last too long up here on the Taunton River... Brackish water and unseen obsticals tend to do a number on things.

I guess it was a thing. Basically it had one solid piece of aluminum above the water line with no rivets. Basically the big blue stripe along the side of the one in my pics. Gave it a sleek appearance

As spring is starting, I'm getting antsy.... I want to get this thing in the water! Unfortunately I've been dealing with a few other projects that have been taking precedence.... How's this for a tow rig!
a55649d25396182ba75377ba20093bda.jpg

Thanks haha. It's a 1975 Land Rover 101. Designed a an "air portable" artillery hauler. Stripped down, they are a 1 ton payload truck that weighs under 3,000 lbs

A bit of a bump in sure, was finally able to go and pick up my old boat from my dad's house. This aught to be a nice off season project!

fb894430d3fc984c3db2130472f6074e.jpg
8ad33612ffecbb55c5a019d64a256636.jpg
d8edf1ba801ba0cc98dcb54d5ce7d0b1.jpg
ec6107de6f16ab3e39ede0e2a010a495.jpg
ac2a2cf5a92295a1aebfa2b6c9841722.jpg

Going slowly.
There has been a lot going on in the past few years and sadly the boats been pushed to the back burner.

In The process, I've moved, and have been renovating a house along with god knows how many other projects[emoji1787]

In the meantime, I finally dug the boat out of my dad's back yard where I was "storing" it. Needed a pitchfork to scoop out 5 years of leaves and literal mud from the inside of the hull, and spent a good couple hours hosing it out.

The boat is really in pretty good physical shape, and really wouldn't take too much to get it on the water, though there are a lot of cosmetic things I want to do still to make it nice.

Now at least it's home, and nestled under cover
PXL_20201127_170404048.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201127_195031480.PORTRAIT.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk