Baja 16 truck topper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baja.bound

Reaction score
Im considering buying a used Valco 16 Bayrunner Baja style of boat. I would like to make an awesome truck topper taylored to fish Baja. I would like to gut the boat and install new floors and make it an open floor plan with a tiller steer. As I was looking at boats, I noticed that the bow always rides high with a single person on the tiller. Most of the boats Ive seen has the battery and the gas near the transom. Is it a huge no-no to have the batteries and gas on the bow of the boat? Also, has anyone used a 16 footer or larger as a truck topper? If so, do you have any photos? Also, if I gut the boat and install new floors, am I going to have issues with the floors coming out while the boat is upside down on a 800 mile road trip? Thank you amigos!

I had a 12/36 alimacraft, a friend of mine is a fabricator. He made a fuel tank that went into the front seat, it held 7 gallon full. It made all the difference in the world on how the boat rode, and got on plane. Never did move the battery.

Valco Bayrunners are great boats. I'm just wondering. Even with removing the center console it would weight more than I would be able manhandle. And it does not seem to be size you would toss a 9.9 HP on. I don't mean to be a downer, but would it really be a candidate for a roof top boat?

gillhunter said:
Why not trailer the boat?

1 less thing to have to worry about. Possibly drive 70 mph without having to worry about a small trailer behind me. Plus, a small trailer on mexican dirt roads could potentially beat the crap out of the boat and trailer. Also, if I’m on some backroads I don’t want to have to worry about sharp turns or ruts.

LDUBS said:
Valco Bayrunners are great boats. I'm just wondering. Even with removing the center console it would weight more than I would be able manhandle. And it does not seem to be size you would toss a 9.9 HP on. I don't mean to be a downer, but would it really be a candidate for a roof top boat?

That’s the thing. I don’t think too many people have done it. I know the Gregor Baja Special was 15.5 feet and people have used those for truck toppers. Plus the weight of the new 4 strokes is pretty light. I think I can throw a 20 or 25 on it without help.

I hope it works out. If you decide to go forward, circle back and let us know how it goes. I want to hear about a fishing trip to Baja!

By the way, it is very common to locate batteries up front. And, I would say it would not be considered unusual to do that with the gaso tank too. While I don't think highly of their products, Moeller even makes a portable tank that is shaped to fit up in the bow.

Latest posts