NewB here to the site from IL and starting a build.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITGuy

Reaction score
Just joined the site yesterday and just purchased a Tin Boat today. :D :D :D :D :D

Just picked up a 1974 16 ft V-bottom Mirrocraft with a 1974 trailer and 1974 20 horse long shaft Mercury Motor. It's also around 5 1/2 ft wide. The boat is in good shape overall. There is some old rotted flooring that needs to go. The motor has been rebuilt except for the the lower seal which is bad :cry: . Also the wood bench seats are deteriorated and need replaced, but that's not a biggie since I want to build some decking. The trailer is a bit rusty and need repainted to look good, also needs a trailer jack, one tail light is broken, but it has good tires and good bearings. Transom wood is still solid but could be replaced. Also came with a battery that was only used for running lights.

I will get pics up soon. Open to suggestions on the build.

Plans will be:
1) Remove all rotted flooring.
2) Clean up to paint. (Planing on Burgundy above waterline and black at waterline and below.)
3) Replace current wooden bench seating. Then I will be at least fishing ready.
4) Slowly start working on build.

Hey we're practically neighbors, I live just south of St. Louis. I just started a project as well, see '57 Richline thread.
Do any fishing in Baldwin or around there?

Here are some pics of my 16ft Mirrocraft I just picked up. Got it for a great deal on craigslist.

When I picked it up the old floor was totally shot as you can see. All I have done so far is just pulled out most of the old wood and carpet and did a quick sweep out.

Attachments

• SANY0001.jpg
    SANY0001.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0002.jpg
    SANY0002.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0003.jpg
    SANY0003.jpg
  • SANY0004.jpg
    SANY0004.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0005.jpg
    SANY0005.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0006.jpg
    SANY0006.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0007.jpg
    SANY0007.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0008.jpg
    SANY0008.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0009.jpg
    SANY0009.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0010.jpg
    SANY0010.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0011.jpg
    SANY0011.jpg
  • SANY0012.jpg
    SANY0012.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,573
  • SANY0013.jpg
    SANY0013.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,573
C.U. Fishin,

I have fished Baldwin Lake years ago and plan to once I am up and running. I am only about 30 minutes from Baldwin. The only bad part is that it is so open and it can get pretty rough. I have a few friends that fish there and have caught largemouth bass over 5 punds and some good 3 pound smallmouths, as well as catfish in the 50 pound plus range.

Here is a layout that I would like to do by next spring on the 16ft Mirrocraft. Let me know any thoughts or recommendations.

Attachments

• Boat Layout 2 SMALL JPG.jpg
    Boat Layout 2 SMALL JPG.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,553
The forward bow area with the trolling motor will be flush with the top sides of the boat. The battery will be accessed from either the top hatch or there will be a door panel that opens in front of the forward bench seat.

From the bow are where the existing front two seats are back to the steering console will be a platform deck at bench seat height.
(I will probably make one of the front four storage hatches may be a removable cooler for cold drinks and snacks.) :beer: :popcorn:

Where the steering console will sit will be a low floor.

The fold flat bench seat will be flush with the back platform deck.

The back platform will be at the bench seat height extending back to the stern of the boat.

:idea: Please let me know of any thoughts you might have. I am trying to think of best placement as well as weight distribution. :idea:

Watch that front storage hatch when you have the troller stored. if you want to open it. I'd put the troller on the other side so you can get to the hatch easily from street level (ie, run back from the car).

Also, be sure to leave room for your troller foot control (if that is what you are planning. I forgot on mine (doh!) and just have it mounted to a hatch lid.

On my build, instead of a bench seat (I was going to do that too) I used removable seats, so they serve dual purpose, you just move them when you want to move the boat.
Take a look at the link to my build in the signature. I have some videos of the boat that show the near final product.

Good boat to build on!
Will

wasilvers,

Good point on the bow area. I have looked at your boat multiple times and actually yours was what I was kind of modeling mine off of. I really like your removable seat idea. The removable seats are more handy and cheaper as well. How stable are you on your decks? front and back? I'm a short but heavy guy (5ft 8in / 225lbs.). Plus a lot of friends I may be fishing with would be similar weight. Also how is the stability with two people sitting in the ridding seats?

The layout is just a first guess. I kind of copied a bass tracker style. I do really want to put a console in like yours, it a nice clean look. I plan on picking up a new motor 9.9hp with controls next spring to use the console.

I do really like your set up. I am sure I will reference your build link many times. Could you take a few close pics of your console and if its homemade maybe some measurements for a guide to start. Also, could you measure how far from the stern your riding seats are. As well as the distance your console is from the stern. This will help me with keep with ideas that work.

Thanks for the input!!! :fishing2:

I'll try to get some measurements tonight.

But honestly, I was this close to posting on craigslist to try to trade my console and motor for a tiller steer motor. It would have greatly increased my front deck-fishing capacity-storage room- etc. The only reason I didn't pursue it was because I was pressed for time and I wasn't sure what engine problems I might inherit.
I figure I could fit another fisherman in the middle when we bring the whole family. Then I'd have a place to sit while baiting hooks, dodging lines, and easy getting up to release fish etc.

I only spend about 2-5% of my time in the boat driving to fishing spots. I don't like that it takes up 25% of my boat space. It is comfortable driving there though :)

Yeah, I under stand where your coming from. Most fishing I will do will be alone or with one person, maybe two tops people once in awhile. I have also used both tiller and steering and really prefer the steering. I hate to waste space but, more of a preference.

Thanks
Wade

ITGuy said:
C.U. Fishin,

I have fished Baldwin Lake years ago and plan to once I am up and running. I am only about 30 minutes from Baldwin. The only bad part is that it is so open and it can get pretty rough. I have a few friends that fish there and have caught largemouth bass over 5 punds and some good 3 pound smallmouths, as well as catfish in the 50 pound plus range.

Your right about it getting rough on that lake, thats one of the big reasons I just went from my 14x32 flat bottom to a 14' Richline, a lot more beam and taller sides. should make Baldwin less scary on an average day.
Nice looking Mirrorcraft you got there, should turn out good.

Thanks, C.U. Fishin. It will be a slow build over fall and early spring. I just plan on doing a few things this summer so I can get it in the water and do a bit of fishing.

Just picked up a older 10 hp Johnson for the boat to use at places with limit restrictions.

Attachments

• motor 1.jpg
    motor 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • motor 2.jpg
    motor 2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,284
Kool outboard.

Might be the angle of the photo, but it looks like the motor is a bit low for your transom. Ideally, you want the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the transom.

Brine,

Yeah it's the angle of the photo. The cavitation plate is actually about 1" above the bottom of the transom. I posted a link concerning this. I read multiple things on length of shaft and transom length. This motor seems to fit in between the 15" and 20" at around 18".

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14099

Latest posts