A rough Lowe but it's mine updated 9-7-10 new pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckr74

Reaction score
I got a 16' Lowe with a 25 hp motor last week. I did some engine work on a Ford Ranger for it. Looks to be a 80's model but I don't know. I've got pics but can't get them on here for some reason. This website has given me the bug to restore it. Can someone give me help on the pics? Thanks!

th_Picture004.jpg

th_Picture002.jpg

th_Picture001.jpg

I think these will work.

ckr,

Attempting to get your pics fixed. How many did you post? 3?

Confused with what seemed to be extra url/img brackets in there. When you post pics from Photobuckete here, all you need to do is paste the code from Photobucket. No need to put it in extra

Waterwings said:
ckr,

Attempting to get your pics fixed. How many did you post? 3?

Confused with what seemed to be extra url/img brackets in there. When you post pics from Photobuckete here, all you need to do is paste the code from Photobucket. No need to put it in extra brackets.[/quote]
Yes, there is three. Thanks for helping me out. I'm eager to learn about boats and show off pics of my free boat. This pic thing is kind of standing in my way. Seems every forum is different. I'll figure it out. Thanks again.

Last try for now. Now question- with around 300# of wood and two average sized people will I have enough motor to plane? I also have a model #LWN 21243F687. Just curious what it means. Thanks!

I've got another question on grounding the boat. The guy before me just used the boat as ground. Meaning he only ran one wire from the battery and just used the boat as ground. I have already ripped out all the wiring. Is this acceptable or should I run ground from the battery for acc.? Thanks!

Oh, by the way I didn't really introduce myself. Things were kind of fuzzy because of the meds I'm taking for my teeth. I live less than 5 minutes for Hilssdale lake about 20 miles South of K.C. I've been wanting to get on the lake in my own boat for many years. My fishing friend (cousin) died years ago so I kind of lost interest. We fished together about 30 years. I think I'm ready to go again. Anyway I'm a permanent lurker.

ckr74 said:
I've got another question on grounding the boat. The guy before me just used the boat as ground. Meaning he only ran one wire from the battery and just used the boat as ground. I have already ripped out all the wiring. Is this acceptable or should I run ground from the battery for acc.? Thanks!

Oh, by the way I didn't really introduce myself. Things were kind of fuzzy because of the meds I'm taking for my teeth. I live less than 5 minutes for Hilssdale lake about 20 miles South of K.C. I've been wanting to get on the lake in my own boat for many years. My fishing friend (cousin) died years ago so I kind of lost interest. We fished together about 30 years. I think I'm ready to go again. Anyway I'm a permanent lurker.

I would run a ground to be safe if you can, but thats me.

DO NOT use the hull as a ground; run a separate wire for Neg and tap/branch it to each accessory. You only have Pos and Neg, no ground. Running the Neg to the hull will cause electrolysis in the Aluminum alloy and will pit, score and eventually cause leaks.

First and foremost...Welcome to the site.
I too have a 16' Lowe and I have a 40hp and it scoots pretty good. As for planing with a 25hp I can't say for sure, but I can get mine to plane with less than half throttle. Maybe mine does because of the prop and wouldn't with the smaller prop of a 25hp.
Next using the boat as a ground is generally a no no. Using the boat as a ground will cause electralisys (sp). This eill eat the metal of the boat and make it weak. I have had boats all my life and I can honestly say that I have had more fun modding my boat and doing it my way. Plus when I fish it, it is exactly how I want it. I can not wait to get back in it and go fishing again.
I'll try and get some more pics of my boat as it is almost done.

looks like a good project. i lived in desoto, ks as a kid and fished hillsdale lake many times with my grandfather. it has been years since i have been in that part of the country but i remember a gas station/bait shop not far from the ramp i think it was called the dam store or something like that, but a guy gave me a tadpole and said i had to name it after him "charlie"

This is moving along at a snails pace but I guess it's going.
I'm going to carpet up the sides on the lower part. My son rewired it totally in about 3 hours. Really cleaned it up.

Just an update for week 3. It's coming along nicely but slow. I didn't have the back pieces in because the urethane was still wet. You can see the side parts on the floor of boat. Hopefully will be done with carpet next week. Looks like I will be cutting seat pedistals down about 4 inches. Sure is nice to have an air conditioned garage. The weather has been nasty all week.

Coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it finished. What ever time you had in your head for finishing this project....double it! Even that will not be enough time.

Rat said:
DO NOT use the hull as a ground; run a separate wire for Neg and tap/branch it to each accessory. You only have Pos and Neg, no ground. Running the Neg to the hull will cause electrolysis in the Aluminum alloy and will pit, score and eventually cause leaks.

+1

Just an update. Got the carpet Friday and started that evening. That console was fun but it turned out better than I expected. I'm waiting for the clearcoat to dry so the switchpanel can be installed. Might take it out for a test run later. Maybe!