Bass Tracker TX17 Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotslippin

Reaction score
First I would like to say, I am glad I found this forum. Have been reading for about a month or so. I have always owned tin boats. Usually just 10-12ft jon boats. You know, "throw it on the roof and lets find a new lake."

I did own a 18ft Starcraft center console. But all I did was replace the rotten floor with starboard. But now I picked up this Bass Tracker. Rotten is not the word. I stepped in and right through the floor. Front deck came off in one piece. Pictures don't do it justice. I notice the carpet holds it together..lol.

So here are the couple pics of it when I got it home.

1021100846a_01.jpg

1021100846_01.jpg

That was a couple months ago. I have since removed and replaced the floor and decks. I used 3/4 for the floor. 1/2 inch for the decks. Made the mistake of not taking pictures of the front and rear removed. I reinforced the front deck with parts from the demo of the original decks. I removed the livewell and reconfigured it. I was able to save the lids and compartments. Just changed out the layout a bit.

2010-12-05_165736.jpg

2010-12-05165727.jpg

After removing the carpet from the hatches, I just hit them with the orbital. I was going to paint the interior. But decided the industrial look was not all bad. I picked up a sheet of 1/16th aluminum. I riveted the sides in and the facing of the front and rear deck.Here are the pics of where I am at today.

2010-12-11_163308.jpg

2010-12-11_172356.jpg

2010-12-11172410.jpg

I would also like to thank Rook for his mod post. I am going to try the toolbox center console. Although I am not using any wood. I am going all tin. Actually going to work on console today. I will update as soon as I can.

Sorry for the long opening post. Just wish I had taken more photos.

Thanks
Guy

Well worked on console. Got the idea I want. I am adding a section for the front of the console for a seat and storage. Decided it is probably easier to just have a welder put it together. I sat it in the boat just to get an idea of what it will look like. I will wait till it is done then decide if I will be using it. So I am on my way to drop it off now.

2010-12-12152943.jpg

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Well I picked up the console from the shop today. Still needs a few tweaks.
Here are the pictures.

2010-12-15180812.jpg

2010-12-15180733.jpg

2010-12-15180650.jpg

My buddy got bored so he made this up.

2010-12-15085616.jpg

Going to install the console this weekend. I will update when I can.

very nice work! I have a tracker exactly like yours and you have given me some more ideas! Lookin forward to seeing the rest of your project pictures!

have a feeling this boat is gonna turn out NICE when you get it done. that metal /lid seat on the tool box gonna be HOT in July & August tho.

@Nussy

I have about 125.00 in the console. The toolbox was free so that helped a lot. I will be installing it tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words Knot. Im glad you were able to pull some ideas off of my build and tweak them for your build. There were several things I would have done different if I had to do it over again, but it looks like you have done the tweaking it needed. I think the front storage is a great idea and will make the console stonger. Do you have any braces under the console itself. One thing to remember is you will be adding the weight of the steering, controls, switches and any electronics to the top of that console which all shake violently in any chop if the console doesnt have enough bracing. Trust me on that one. :? :?

@rook
Not any real extra support. I installed it and it doesn't shake a bit when i hit it. We will see when it's in the rough water. The difference might be because I had my console all welded together. No wood at all.

So I finally got to work on her today. Not really anything big, but I did install the console and mount the temp. motor.
Here are the pics of it mounted. I used 7/16 SS lag bolts to attach through the wood floor to the stringers. I also picked up some foam rubber material from Pep boys to put between the console and the floor. I had the front storage lid/seat reinforced with support. It was sagging a little when someone would sit on it. I also drilled out the hole in the base and floor to run my cables and wiring. Then I drilled and mounted the helm. Top mount controls don't come in till Wed/Thurs.

2010-12-26154604.jpg

2010-12-26160602.jpg

2010-12-26164437.jpg

2010-12-26164445.jpg

Got lucky (Maybe) I was able to pick up a Mercury 75hp motor for 100.00 Figured, "what the hell" well I now have no spark. More troubleshooting tomorrow. Just wanted to update in case anyone was considering similar mods and had any questions or suggestions.

2010-12-26164457.jpg