1973 SmokerCraft 16' V hull [Major tasks completed - 6/1/11]

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
bluegrasser

1973 SmokerCraft 16' V hull

Post by bluegrasser »

Took some doing, but I got the boat interior totally cleaned out (took two nights with a box of rags and heavy-duty cleaning solution). Got heaters in the garage and cranked up, because - of course - the outside temp has plummeted and even snowed last night. That would happen when I"m finally ready to paint.

Got a good primer coat on yesterday and a finish coat today. It's not perfect, but a lot of it will eventually be covered by marine carpet. Nonetheless, a huge difference from what it used to look like!

Had "fun" painting the transom area and the styrofoam interior of my cooler slot on the back bench. Those areas took almost as much time as the rest of the boat.

This angle makes the boat look crazy wide, but the paint looks nice.

Next step...
Later this week I should get a chance to take it to my wife's warehouse where I can finally paint the exterior/hull. Can't wait!!!

bluegrasser

Post by bluegrasser »

Well...

It's been a long couple of weeks. Again, weather turned cold and wet. I had the boat scheduled to be sprayed with an epoxy coating, but the day of that, temp plummeted into the mid 30s with freaking snow! The result was an awful paint job that I then spent quite a while sanding off.

So, the last week has been spent rolling on a new coat of epoxy (a two-part epoxy made by Porter Paints - it should function the same as the Steelflex that everybody likes so much on this site, but it was a local product. This has turned out to be fortuitous as I have needed more of it to correct issues).

Got the hull completely covered with the gray epoxy paint. It is sealed pretty good!

Today I finally put on my second color - a dark blue color for the sides and transom for areas above the water line. It's a two-part polyurethane. I brushed it on and it was looking nice and glossy. However, as I made my way to the other side, I went back to look at the first side and it had SAGGED considerably! It looked horrible. I did my best to quickly put on a foam roller and roll it out. The finish looks rough, but I hope at least I smoothed out some of the sags and runs. We'll see tomorrow in the daylight.

In the meantime, here is the concept at least:

I think I have some more sanding in my future. :evil:

But, I like the color scheme and am excited about getting closer to the finished product. =D>

ITGuy

Post by ITGuy »

Looking good. Looks nice and roomy. Need to get me a new boat to play with.

bluegrasser

Post by bluegrasser »

Sanded and repainted last night. There's still some sags that are visible in a certain light. But, I'm not a perfectionist.

Got the boat flipped back over, right side up.

Got some nice reflective numbers at Home Depot.

It's coming together!!

lbdsjp

Post by lbdsjp »

The color scheme looks good! I have a 14' 1973 Smokercraft that I bought new when I was 14 or 15 years old. My boat is identical without the steering wheel setup. Once in a while I think of selling it but seeing the nice job your doing motivates me to keep it. Thanks for sharing.

bluegrasser

Post by bluegrasser »

Thanks for the kind words about the color scheme. That was the result of a LOT of hard work painting. IT's still not perfect, but good enough that the casual observer, not looking for errors, would find it satisfactory.

Went turkey hunting last weekend and before I set off, I had my two hunting buddies help me hoist the boat up onto the trailer. First time back on the trailer in about 2 months!

I've got the seats set up temporarily, steering console and throttle controls installed, working on the supports to deck over this section:

Replaced both my deep cycle battery and starting battery for a Sears marine Platinum - it is an AGM, 31 Series. Has 1150 CCA and 205 reserve. Should crank my motor beautifully and still have a ton of reserve for trolling motor and electronics.
It's a beast at 75 pounds, but a good bit lighter than two batteries combined:

With battery on board, I was able to finally take it to the boat shop. Loaded my new motor into my YUkon (a feat in itself)

Dropped off the boat and motor and the local boat guys are supposed to mount the motor, and connect all the steering and throttle and battery cables, install lights and bilge and generally hook everything up.
Can't wait to get it back in about a week!!!!

libertyday

Post by libertyday »

looks great....
Things Ive learned from fishing:
1. There is no such thing as too much equipment.
2. When in doubt, exaggerate.
3. Even the best lines get weak after they have been used a few times.
4. Sometimes you really have to squirm to get off the hook.
5. The fishing is always better on the other side of the lake.

bluegrasser

Post by bluegrasser »

lots of updates...

Got boat back from the boat shop with motor installed and lots of wiring and accessories.

couple of views of the new look:

console with steering wheel, and switches for bow and stern light, bilge, and cigarette lighter/12V charger, and fish finder on top:

one of my last projects, still working on, is covering over this space with a deck. Got most of the supports in:

I also got my marine carpet a few days ago from Cabelas. It's very nice looking. It is the Premium Marine Carpet in Charcoal color:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

Finally got out to the lake for a sea trial!!!!

She floated, the motor worked, no leaks, and I made it home in one piece!!!

once I get that deck afixed I will finally be ready for carpeting. Once carpet in, seats go in, then I'm just about FINISHED. After four months, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope to have some more updates soon.

SlowRollin'

1973 SmokerCraft 16' V hull [some new updates! 5-10-11]

Post by SlowRollin' »

I think it turned out pretty good. Looks like a new boat.

What name brand paint did you use above the water line?
SlowRollin'

bluegrasser

Post by bluegrasser »

Got a chance to do some major work this weekend.

I held my breath, crossed my fingers and started measuring out the 3/4" piece of plywood I had purchased for my front deck section. Planning for the curvature of the boat's hull was complicated, but I was impressed with how well I did with my limited skills. I was also excited to see how well it attached to the supports I had installed underneath. It is rock solid, fairly level, and fits the space perfectly. My hatch cutout also worked well too.

Not trying to gloat but I was a little amazed that it all worked as planned. Things rarely do for me - especially the projects in this 4 month long boat project!!

Now all that's left is the carpeting. I'm a little nervous about that too, but I'll just take my time and follow the advice of everyone on this message board.

Couple of pictures of the deck.

Got the piece cut and rough fit

Another coat of primer, then glued down and screwed down. Fits awesome.

Got the hatch hinges today. Now I need to start measuring for carpet. Can't wait to get this thing finished!!!

bluegrasser

Post by bluegrasser »

SlowRollin' wrote:I think it turned out pretty good. Looks like a new boat.

What name brand paint did you use above the water line?
SlowRollin, It is a Porter Brand (PPG) two-part polyurethane. I will check the garage in the next day or so and see if I still have the can out there with a name on it. Will report back later.

lbdsjp

1973 SmokerCraft 16' V hull [some new updates! 5-16-11]

Post by lbdsjp »

The boat is looking great. I pulled out my '73 SmokerCraft out from under the deck that I'm sanding and staining. My trailer and boat needs about the same amount of work. After the deck is done I'm going to pull the cover off and take a look at it. I would need to do the trailer also. I have always like the raised floor to keep things dry. I rented a rowboat with an electric motor and fished on mothers day with my wife and things on the floor of the got wet. I don't have any plywood but seeing yours I might consider it. Thanks for sharing your project.

JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Very nice project ! You did a great job . Hows it run with the 40 hp on it ?

bluegrasser

Post by bluegrasser »

Whew! Finally am now "complete" with "major projects"!!! There will be plenty of minor things to fiddle with over time, but I'm done occupying the entire garage. (my wife is also happy with that). Got the carpet installed this weekend. It was hard to get perfect cuts and perfect fits because this boat is fairly lacking in exact angles and precision/perfection. Did my best though.

Front casting deck and hatch:

Boat seats finally installed!

Side boat view with seats:

interior view from stern to bow:

comparison views:
old:

new:

Got it finished just in time to take out on the Kentucky River for memorial day weekend.

Boat tied up to dock at river fish camp cabin:

Boat beached at my favorite fishing rapids:

Despite having several youngsters tag along on the boat ride, my brother and I even caught a few trout in the tailwaters where the boat is beached in the above photo.

Boat performed well with two exceptions - the transducer is about a 1/2 inch too low and was throwing up a crazy amount of spray at high speeds. Should be an easy fix.

on GPS, when I got up to about 28 mph, the boat began porpoising pretty bad. I will have to take it out again to experiment with different angles on the motor. I may not have had it down flush against the transom. not sure. Had a lot of family out there, though, and didn't have opportunity to try all kinds of different settings. That was a shame, though, because I really wanted to know how fast it would go. I hit 28 mph against a very stiff river current and I don't think I was quite wide open on the throttle.

We'll see.

Anyway, glad to reach this point and thanks to members of this board for input and inspiration.