1648 build - update 3/21

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterguy86

Reaction score
Well I'm new here. Been lurking for a bit while I shopped for a boat. Finally found one!

I picked up a 1648 jon boat. Not sure of the brand. If anybody has any ideas on that I am all ears.

Mods include a center console and installing my 50 hp johnson. The motor is what I believe is a 1974 model. No pics of that, it's an hour and a half away from me at the moment. I'm also going to install my trolling motor on the bow. I'm picking all of that up at the end of the week.

It's going to get front and rear decks and some storage. Ideas are in my head, just gotta get em on paper and then built, lol.

On to the pics.

d576825b.jpg

2dfd8de3.jpg

More pics to follow later on in the week.

Thanks for the compliments.

Question on wiring.

I plan on running Nav lights, anchor light, maybe some deck lighting, stereo, bilge pump, horn and a 12v trolling motor.

Would it be best to run two batteries, with the accessories on one battery and use the other for cranking, or would it be best to run everything off one and then switch to the other one the first one goes dead?

Oh and would a 800 gph bilge pump be about right, to big, to small?

Nice find. If it were me I would probably run one deep cycle battery just for the TM and then run the rest off the cranking battery. I have done it that way in the past without issue. Good luck with it.

Howdy Yall! Like you Hunterguy, I've been lurkin' in the shadows for a couple weeks. Im IMPRESSED with some of the builds here!! Some are very 'professional' looking mods. I'll be looking at getting a boat....either one 'turn-key', or one to modify 'my way'. There's a little oxbow off the Trinity River that's full of stumps, ect. I took my Blazer Pro-V 20 in it a few years back....it's FULL of bass. I'd really like to find a project boat just for this, and a few other places like it.

Anyway, didnt mean to hijack your thread. Im going to keep up with your thread....looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Good Luck!!!

Nice big empty space! Deciding what you want when there are do many great designs on here is hard. Every time I think I've decided, I see a new one that I like even better.

Well I haven't had a chance to do anything at all due to poor weather here in Texas. I volunteer at a fire dept, as well as work full time at one. We've had our hands full with all the ice.

The ideas are rolling through my head. The current plan is to use the consol out of my dads boat for this project. He want's to make a smaller one so he has more room in the boat (Xpress 1450 w/ floundering rig).

Pretty much I am in parts gathering mode for now. The big item is the transom extender. The transom on this boat is 16" but my motor is a standard shaft (20")

So, parts list as it stands.

transom extender, bilge pump, wiring, switches, fuses and holders, batteries, anchor light and water pump/lower unit oil for the outboard.

Hopefully more progress soon, so this can actually turn into a viable build thread.

I would like to thank all of yall for your kind words and suggestions thus far. I am all ears for any ideas yall may have.

On the bilge pump.....BIGGER IS BETTER. Especially if you ever have a catastrophe. It may my save the boat, but it might buy you time.

Update.

I went down to my parents house and installed the console and motor. I ended up using a 30 hp evinrude. I ran it yesterday and it flys, even with three people in the boat.

I will add pictures later on today.

Looks like we lost the pics at the beginning of your thread. The perils of photobucket.

Here's some shots of the boat with the motor and console installed.

164de329.jpg

76415863.jpg

6b8ff61e.jpg

2ae04e35.jpg

I originally wanted to run the console in the center, but it wouldn't have left much room to move around in the boat so I had to shift it to the side. I built a rear casting deck. I have installed the fishing seat mount and drivers seat mount. I still need to add the passenger seat mount. I will pull the deck back out and seal it up and carpet it. The second photo shows roughly how the seats will sit.

019.jpg

016.jpg

I also built an extension to the front deck but I'm not sure if I like it yet or not. I may end up taking it back out and make it level with the rest of the front deck. I want to fish off of it tomorrow and see how it does before I make a decision. The trolling motor is a 78 model evinrude scout 24. It worked well on my old boat. I'm excited to see how well it will run on this boat.

018.jpg

As far as the wiring goes, I have installed the running lights but need to get a taller navigation light. I installed the bilge pump my dad gave me, which is a 360 GPH. I want to run a bigger pump but this will do for now.

I still need to install my fish finder and stereo.

I ran the boat two days ago with the decks in it. The GPS on my iphone said I was doing 26 MPH. I compaired the GPS with the speedo on my truck and was actually running a bit slow. I was probably going closer to 28 MPH, which is plenty fast for me.

In looking at the motor, I'm thinking I can raise it up another inch or so. I have also noticed, that the whale tail runs about an inch below the surface of the water when the boat is on plane. That's probably not helping performance.

I've also considered running either trim tabs or sponsons to help running in shallow water. I really like the thought of the tabs because of the ability to level the boat out with changes to weight distribution.

Thoughts, ideas? Lay em on me.

hunterguy86 said:
Update.

I went down to my parents house and installed the console and motor. I ended up using a 30 hp evinrude. I ran it yesterday and it flys, even with three people in the boat.

I will add pictures later on today.

I have a 30 as well, a '87 evinrude 30hp. Can't wait for spring. Enjoy!

I like your setup. The console with the cooler looks and functions fine as a side mount. I wanted to do a center C. too but just like your boat I wouldn't have had much room to get around it on either side.

Im also glad to hear you are running close to 30mph. I'm getting my 25hp Merc. put on my 1542 tomoro. longshaft, jackplate just like yours. I Cant wait to see how fast it goes. Im jealous you got yours on the water....

I cant wait to see how it looks when you get it all painted. Nice rig.

Update to the build.

I have finished out the back deck with carpet. I still need to add one more hatch to the starboard side if the boat. That one will need to be dry storage. My GF has claimed it as her purse compartment, which is fine with me. She loves to fish just as much as I do.

I have also built a mount for my Trolling Motor. I picked up a 55 lb thrust minn kota endura C2 from cabelas. I wanted to run my evinrude but it has bad windings in the motor. That will be fixed at a later date.

Next step is to finalize the wiring for the big foot switch and trolling motor. I am trying to decide if I want to run the trolling battery up front or out back. That is going to dictate how the front deck build plays out.

On to the pics.

01724c2c.jpg

f57fb6b9.jpg

306cfb70.jpg

3b1e4922.jpg

d5deea1d.jpg

11c316c7.jpg

6bd22a12.jpg

ecd1a9cc.jpg

Latest posts