Derek's Tracker TX-17 rebuild

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Derek

Post by Derek »

My boat is stored inside during the winter so I do not have to worry about snow/ice. It does sit outside from April-November.
Cover has been great. It is a trailerable cover but I have only towed with it a couple times.
I park the boat in a dirt lot that creates a lot of dust. The cover is filthy and could use a wash. But it keeps the inside of the boat mostly dust free.
I don't keep a front fishing seat in the boat so I use fiberglass bows for pontoon boat covers. I think it is better for the cover, less edges to wear on. I still use a rear seat to hold the cover up but may replace that this year as it rarely gets used while fishing.

Derek

Post by Derek »

So I took the boat out yesterday to do some testing with/without the hydrofoil.
For reference 77 Johnson 70hp with 13.5x18 stainless Raker prop. It should have 5500 rpm @ WOT

- with hydrofoil: 32mph at 4700 rpm
- without hydrofoil: 35mph at 5100 rpm

Problem is the boat is still porpoises somewhat while I am by myself without the hydrofoil. That is with the (2) group 31 batteries moved forward. I can move my rear cranking battery (group 29) about a foot forward, but I'm not sure that will help much.

Duckmagnet

Post by Duckmagnet »

I have the same boat with the same stress cracks around the rivets. I was wondering if you ended up getting them welded? or if you just used the steel flex. And if so how is the steel flex holding up?
Thanks

Derek

Post by Derek »

I had them all welded up. I had a welding shop do it as I have no experience welding aluminum. They just tig'd around and over the rivets and along the cracks. The welding was nicely done. The steel flex is holding up well on the bottom of the boat. I do still get some leaking, but not enough to worry about. I think it is coming from the keel riveted down the middle

Duckmagnet

Post by Duckmagnet »

Thanks, I have been trying to figure out what I was gonna do with the cracks. I have been told several different things so I wanted to know what someone with the same issue did.

userspam

Post by userspam »

What did you do with your bilge? I am unable to find anything that will fit in the stock casing.

Derek

Post by Derek »

Replaced it completely. Mine now has a 1000 gph The Rule pump. I have it wired on an automatic float switch and also an override switch on the dash.

userspam

Post by userspam »

Did you just weld a new one? Or did you make your own thing?

Derek

Post by Derek »

Do you mean the outlet on the back? If so mine was 2 piece plastic so I just replaced it with one that fit my bilge hose

userspam

Post by userspam »

I meant did you completely remove the stock bilge and put the new one on that old base or did you put it on the side and make your own base for it?

Derek

Post by Derek »

Mine had no mount when I got it.
New one came with a new mount that I epoxied to the bottom

userspam

Post by userspam »

That was my question. Thanks man!!

JMill

Post by JMill »

Derek, bud do you have any close up pictures of how you carpeted your deck lids? I'm wondering what to do with the piano hinges. The carpet I'm tearing out is completely deteriorated and I can't make out how they had it in there. Did you wrap the hinge and lid with one piece so that it bunches up when you open it or is there a better way? Thanks

Derek

Post by Derek »

I took all my lids off and carpeted them separately. Drill out the boat side rivets on the hinge, so the hinge is still attached to the lid .
Cover the lid with a little flap covering the hinge. When you rivet it back on that flap is now held down with the rivet, between the hinge and deck.

Important tip, make sure the grain of your carpet is all going the same way. On the deck and lids. Otherwise the color/grain will look off, see below.

Lids backwards

Correct with the grain

JMill

Post by JMill »

That's kind of how I thought it was on there. My carpet had been worn so much on top of the hinges that it was separated into two pieces, so I really couldn't tell. What kind of carpet did you use? I just got mine in from basscat and it's the 24oz, I believe I'm going to fight it being that thick. But it'll sure be nice on the bare feet! Haha!