IP42's 1652 PolarKraft Duck Boat Mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishpride42

Reaction score
Figured I would go ahead and start this thread so I can keep up with what I have done :mrgreen:
I bought the boat, a 1974 Polarkraft, a year ago and it looked like this...

Boat-1.jpg

DSC02536.jpg

Boat_2.jpg

Boat_1.jpg

Before duck season started, we put in some LED's, re-wired everything, and I painted over the blue inside. I also redneck mounted a trolling motor, removed a few things, moved the gas tank to behind the rear seat, and try to get the motor running back right.

Once duck season was over it was time for an over haul, I ripped out the floor, sold the motor & controls (going to a tiller steer), cut out the flotation boxes and front bench but decided to just remove them complete rivets and all.

Motor_Console.jpg

Motor_2.jpg

After the floor was removed

IMG00029-20110212-1708.jpg

Front Bench gone

IMG00038-20110217-1738.jpg

One box gone

IMG00040-20110217-1812.jpg

The LED's

IMG00039-20110217-1812.jpg

Where I am at now

IMG00060-20110306-1600.jpg

IMG00061-20110306-1600.jpg

Now I am going to re-wire everything to under the floor, put 2" foam under the floor (already got the foam and for a pretty good price 2 full sheets for $40), put on a new motor, add a switch panel, put down a new floor (hopefully aluminum), possibly rebuild the deck, replace the headlights, add storage in the rear bench, build a blind, hatch off the back by the motor,add 3 seats to the center and replace the 40 rivets from the seat and boxes. Stay tuned could get fun.

I do have a question and need HELP! I had planned on filling in the holes with closed end blind rivets and put 3M 5200 over them but cannot find the size I need anywhere! I would use solid rivets but then have to get an air chisel, I could also weld but that takes out of the set boat budget. My wife and I set aside a certain amount and that is all that can be spent so that makes this even more fun, interesting at times, but fun! Anyhow, the size rivets I cannot find are 1/4" diameter, with a grip range of 1/8"-1/4", and a body length of 1/2". You can find this size all day long with a steel mandrel but cannot find them that have aluminum body and an aluminum mandrel, ANYWHERE! Any suggestions?

Can't really add anything to this thread as of yet but I do want to say that I'm really looking forward to this mod happening! I'm a duck hunter myself who's trying to move out of the swamps and timber to the sounds and rivers to be a more well rounded duck hunter ;) Good luck with the mod!

Boat is headed to get patched up tomorrow, picked up a new motor yesterday for $200 a 1978 25 HP Johnson Seahorse! It will fire up but not spitting so gotta replace the water pump. I will try to get some new pictures with the motor on it but it might be after it gets pack from being patched up

Back from the welder and front deck removed and foam dry fitted, still can't decide if I want to do wood or aluminum because I am not having much luck find scrap and dag on new is pushing $200/4x8 sheet.

boat_foam3.jpg

boat_foam.jpg

boat_foam2.jpg

It's coming along slowly but surely!

Next is finish wiring, add switch panel, put in the floor, front deck, put back the seat bases (front and back), add a bilge pump, back deck, paint, and get the motor about 100% (it is probably 90%) now.

Made A LOT of progress this past weekend! Got the floor down, the side panels, all wiring is complete, and started spraying with bedliner. Just need to finish spraying the floor, build the deck, paint, mount the headlights & trolling motor, and get the motor 100% and she will be ready to rock!

Floor.jpg

Floor_2.jpg

Almost finished, everything now is just minor with the exception of re-painting!

Building the deck:
IMG00250-20110729-2016.jpg

IMG00252-20110730-1654.jpg

IMG00253-20110730-1654.jpg

We got the trolling motor and front seat mounted as well but I dont have pictures yet

Latest posts