12ft Valco (V-Hull) with 15hp Yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HennaOjisan

Reaction score
Here's the latest build of mine. I picked up a '73 Valco - 12 footer with a Yamaha 15HP - 2 stroke. Deal was great so I couldn't pass it up.

Figured I would remove the middle bench, create platforms both in the back and front and a flat bottom. Paint hull and interior and then carpet the inside. Turned out pretty good so far - still working on dialing it in...

Used 5/8" ply and doug fir 2x2's. Valspar'd everything with multiple coats after prime/paint. Disregard all the clutter in the garage...

Here's the pics:
DSC00611.jpg
DSC00614.jpgDSC00616.jpgDSC00624.jpgDSC00626.jpgDSC00628.jpgDSC00630.jpgDSC00632.jpg

Here's more...

Started sanding the hull to prep for paint..
DSC00634.jpgDSC00636.jpg

Self etching primer..DSC00637.jpg
Interlux Marine Paint..DSC00641.jpg
Look at that shine!DSC00643.jpg
First coat of Blue Interlux...DSC00650.jpgDSC00651.jpgDSC00654.jpg

Currently mounting a small platform at the front and I've built a bracket to move my transom trolling motor into a bow version. Had to swap the control handle by 180 deg and worked perfectly. Used a piece of heavy angle iron that was painted to mount the motor to. Waiting on the weather to improve to get this back in the water.

Rebuilt the motor as well recently - carb's cleaned/rebuilt, replaced fuel diaphrams, checked thermostat and compression as well as fluids. Empeller has been too and new plugs. Ready to rip!!

Thanks for the complements all!

Here are a couple of pics from last week - better view outside the garage...photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

I read this a few times - so sorry if I missed it.

Where did you get those seats and mounts?

The boat looks GREAT!!!!! =D>

Summers hit it on the nose... Tempress seats, picked them up from Cabelas as I had a gift cert there... The posts are just 3/4" pin style and they had a base, post, and seat base combo at Cabelas for $49 so I grabbed that too.

Comfort wise - worth every cent!!

Here's a couple more pics:
DSC00687.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

DSC00684.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

Need to replace the transom trolling motor for a bow mounted with foot pedal, but this works after rotating the handle 180 deg.
photo12.jpg

I have a 14 footer very similar to yours that I haven't modded yet. I keep going back and forth in my mind between a raised deck in the front (like yours) or to just deck the front even with the middle. What's the stability like on that front seat? Do you noticed any heavy rocking on a tough hook set or anything? Since I'm essentially pulling my boat out of 6 year storage I don't have the sea legs I used to and I'm probably overly concerned with stability, but your set up looks really similar to what I'd like to do so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance! And super sweet boat too!

I was thinking the same thing as you when I started. The front deck is at the same height as the front bench and I didn't go any higher to keep the CG a bit lower. If I had to do it again - I'd keep them at the same height, but maybe make them a bit longer. I fish from the front mostly and don't have any issues. The boat will dip about 4 inches when I stand near the outside but I'm pretty agile so I never really think about it. If I just sit in the chair, it's never an issue. Heavy hooksets will get some rocking, but I'll lean against the seat like a post so it's not as bad I guess. Before I did the mods - I took it out and stood on the benches to see how steady it was. I also grabbed a lawn chair and a piece of plywood to see what it would be like to sit and fish at that height - sure looked a little interesting at the launch...

Thanks for the update and info!

I thought your seat mounts went all te way down flush because of this picture.

file.php

I assume that they do not?

Latest posts