Tracker Topper 1436 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddster88

Reaction score
Hey there. Ive been lurking for a long time on this site and finally decided to post my build. Just gotta say how much I love it on here and how many cool projects Ive seen. Ive got a lot of ideas from you guys out there!

So I recently acquired a new tracker topper 1436 about a month or so ago. There are a few reasons I chose a 1436. First of all, Ive been looking for a small tin boat for a while with no luck. Every time Id happen to stumble upon something on craigslist, Id end up gettin screwed over in some way or another. So I priced new ones and the 1436 was something I could afford and make some mods to it n such. Secondly, I usually just fish by myself or with another person. Ive been studying on here a lot about boat sizes and stability issues, and I think this will work for me great. I only weigh about 155 pounds and Ive been fishing for a long time in a kayak (and ive been in some pretty deep and rough water as well!), so Im really not worried about what others say about stability. Others on the site have done some pretty extravagant things to their 1436's, and they seem to have no problems at all.

Im looking forward to hearing anyones input, thoughts and hints. And Im sure Ill have many questions along the way. I know how much I love seeing everyones pictures and progress on here, so Ill be sure to post many of my build. So, here she is... (ps, dont mind all the junk in the background, Ill just say my brothers an idiot and leave it at that lol)
0303111643.jpg

1302038176.jpg

Overall im happy with the quality of the boat. I do have a couple of complaints though. I dont like the quality of the paint. I dont know if others trackers(or any other boats for that matter) paint rubs off so easily or what. And is anyone elses boat outa whack when they did their initial measurements for their build? I am building a small deck in the front, and Im a bit of a perfectionist so having the boat off a little drove me nuts lol. Heres some pictures of the front deck getting framed in.
1302038175.jpg

1302038103.jpg

1302038102.jpg

I got some 1/2 inch outdoor plywood for the deck and where the seats go. All the 2x2's and plywood are covered with fiberglass resin. I went with the brown outdoor carpet from lowes. I really like the way it looks in the boat, plus I planned on getting brown seats with camo cushions so it would match best.

1302038133.jpg

1302038132.jpg

1302038066.jpg

1302038065.jpg

1302037980.jpg

1302037979.jpg

1302038050.jpg

1302038049.jpg

What I did with the galvanized brackets that would be touching the boat was to coat them with a few coats of rustoleum and smother them in silicon too. They are fastened to the boat with a couple stainless screws. The 2x2 frame is also attached to the front seat with a couple brackets and some stainless screws and its rock solid.

I know the deck is a little small. I maybe shoulda brought it back a little further. But all in all im very pleased with how its coming. Im no sure how I want to utilize it yet though...for storage, for a casting platform, or maybe put a seat up there too? (I did end up buying 3 seats in case I did decide to do this) The seats were on sale on gander mountains site. The reason I ordered them instead of going to the store was because most of the time they only have that stuff in realtree camo in stores...but Im a mossy oak guy! I also got the pedestals and mounts from GM, they were on sale too so I couldnt pass them up. So heres some more progress of the seats and such.

1302037898.jpg

1302038006.jpg

1302038008.jpg

1302037988.jpg

1302037965.jpg

One problem...I dont know how I want to mount the platforms and pedestals to the boat? :? I hear about everyone using toggle bolts, which is what I used to mount my deck in the front,but I dont know how to go about this on the seats? And I dont want to use screws at all.

1302037896.jpg

1302037876.jpg

1302037875.jpg

Built my little door for the front deck. Really like how this came out. Now just have to make another trip to lowes and figure out what I want to do about a latch and a handle.

Mounted my all around white light on the back of the boat. Best part about it was that its free! Came with another boat I had and is like brand new.

1302037967.jpg

1302037987.jpg

Just picked up this bad boy the other day. It's a 1980 Evinrude 7.5 hp and it runs great! Hope it'll push the boat pretty good.

1302037921.jpg

1302037923.jpg

0403111732a.jpg

The paint on the lower unit is in great shape, I cleaned it up real good the other day. There was some heavy gunk and grease on it but some engine degreaser helped clear that right off. Washed it all off with some soap n water and she looks great. The engine cover needs some attention though. Im going to strip it down, paint it white again, and hopefully have my buddy who owns a decal shop make me some new decals for the motor as well as my registration numbers too.

If anyone has any questions about prices of anything, if you wana see close up pics of something, or have any other input dont be afraid to chime in

Thanks a lot rmzachar, I appreciate it! Ive got a lot of other things I wana do with it and some ideas Ive been throwing around, so Ill be sure to post it all

Are you considering adding a seat to the front deck? If it were me, I would put some more support up there before adding a seat.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, I plan on putting a seat up there. The pics I have posted are just an outline of the frame. I didn't get around to taking a final picture of the frame in the front before I put the carpeted deck on, but there is more support under there than the pics I posted show. Sorry my fault for that, I'll try n get a pic of that up soon

In my last post, I forgot to say "JEALOUS" Mine is a 14' Lowe that is too skinny and shallow to deck. I am on the hunt for a new one though! Great looking work so far!

Thanks guys! Ive still got some work I wana do to it. I want to add a hinged part in the stern of the boat to hide the gas can n such. I need to get a new pedestal and seat mount for the front if I decide to go that route (I want to take her out on the water and test her first though!). I also was thinking of making a piece to extend from the middle seat to the rear seat (out of plywood and carpet like the rest of the boat) that runs along the side that I could mount some cup holders or rod holders n stuff on, I think that would look neat. I dunno if I explined it enough so you get a mental picture or not, but Ive been throwing that idea around, just dont know how Id mount it. Ive got some other odds and ends Ill post too. I also need to work on that darn trailer!

Wld Fowl said:
Nice!! I like the deck. You are right about the paint it just flakes off real easy.

Yea Im not too crazy about the paint. In the process of fitting the front deck and frame, a lot of paint got scratched and flaked off, so I ended up painting some of those pieces with some rustoleum (dont know if you can see from the picture of the hatch I made). But Ill probably end up putting floors in it so itll hide that.

RamHemiTX said:
In my last post, I forgot to say "JEALOUS" Mine is a 14' Lowe that is too skinny and shallow to deck. I am on the hunt for a new one though! Great looking work so far!

Haha thanks RamHemiTX, Im guessing yours is only 32 in wide? Mine measures about 16 in high on the sides, which I think is pretty high for the size of the boat. Just keep searching and Im sure you'll come across something good! Just think, they should only get bigger and better from here on right

Heres some pics of the piece I was talking about in an earlier post that I was thinking of making for cup holders, rod holders, etc. I just dont know how to go about mounting it...or if I should just make a piece for the side too to make an enclosed space? Just something Ive been throwing around. In the pic the piece is 8 in wide, but I was thinking maybe 6 in wouldnt take up as much room...or am I just adding more unnecessary weight the boat lol?

0406111548a.jpg

0406111548.jpg

0406111547.jpg

Ok, so I got around to mounting my pedestal bases and carpeted pieces. I used 1/4 in toggle bolts and they turned out great and sturdy as can be! I also put some loctite on the bases to make a good tight seal, probably overkill but oh well. For the bases, I bought some 1/4 in stainless bolts that are tapered instead of the bolts that came with the toggle bolt kit.

0407111102a.jpg

0407111102.jpg

0407111030.jpg

0407111039.jpg

0407111046a.jpg

0407111205.jpg

0407111053.jpg

0407111055.jpg

toddster88 said:
RamHemiTX said:

Haha thanks RamHemiTX, Im guessing yours is only 32 in wide? Mine measures about 16 in high on the sides, which I think is pretty high for the size of the boat. Just keep searching and Im sure you'll come across something good! Just think, they should only get bigger and better from here on right

You guessed it... 32" floor and 13" sides. I am reviving my outboard and am going to keep it wet this year. I am really thinking about an Alumnacraft 1648 MV NCS. I have not seen one used around here. And I hate to pay $1800+ for a riveted Jon... I have my eye on a boat that may work, but the price is a little high. Your build is looking really nice!

RamHemiTX said:
You guessed it... 32" floor and 13" sides. I am reviving my outboard and am going to keep it wet this year. I am really thinking about an Alumnacraft 1648 MV NCS. I have not seen one used around here. And I hate to pay $1800+ for a riveted Jon... I have my eye on a boat that may work, but the price is a little high. Your build is looking really nice!

Thanks a lot I apprecite it! Ive been putting a lot of time and thought into this. What size motor do you have on your 14 footer? I havent had a chance to get mine in the water yet because of this crappy PA weather, but Im anxious and curious to see how my 7.5 pushes the 1436. And hey, atleast you still got somethin to fish from. Grind it out for another year or so in the little jon to save up for the big one lol! Cause yea, that is a little pricey for the 1648, but thats a sweet boat, so many things you can do to that one with all that room. I wish I couldve afforded that one. Thats the one without the center bench right?

Latest posts