Jimmyzshack Alumacraft 1540 build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyzshack

Reaction score
I'm new here i found this site search for info on the 1542

Pretty sure i'm going to pick up a new Tracker 1542 tomorrow. Boat only. I'm going to take everything (fish finder, trolling motor controls)off my old boat and put it on the 1542. Problems i'm going to have is my merc 25 is controls only and is a long shaft and redoing the trailer in order for the boat to go on it. Oh and getting rid of the old boat lol.
old boat:
IMG_0079.jpg

Welcome to the site. There are a bunch of 1542's out there to get some great ideas off. Good luck and keep us updated

I really like the 1542, seems to be the perfect size. Not to big and not to small. On a strange note, where the top of your fence is broken, just above it in the tree looks like a outline of someones face. Can you see it? Hope I'm not loosing it :)

Howard said:
I really like the 1542, seems to be the perfect size. Not to big and not to small. On a strange note, where the top of your fence is broken, just above it in the tree looks like a outline of someones face. Can you see it? Hope I'm not loosing it :)

It might have been a person. I took this pic at the original owners house when i bought it. I'm going to go pick the boat up today.

I have have an AlumaCraft 1542 (pretty similar) that I rigged with a 25hp merc longshaft on a minijackplate with controls and a side console. I love it! 30mph in about 15 inches of water, easy to tow and big enough to take 3 people fishing or 4 people just riding.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299

Before you pull the trigger on the Tracker check out the AlumaCraft (in person if possible cause their website sucks). I got mine from Academy Sports for $997.00 brand new.

The tracker is a fine boat but the ribs only support the floor and on the AlumaCraft they go up the sides as well. The AlumaCrafts are about $1,400.00 at a boat dealer or retail. But like I said I got mine from Academy for a lot less.

Academy's website lists it as a 1440 and shows a pic of the older 2009 1540. You can tell the difference becuase not only is it 2 inches wider on the floor but it also has the extra material on the rear deck/back bench seat that helps to support the transom. I made sure to have them take me in the back to see what it really was because when I was looking at Alumacrafts website there is no mention of a 1540 only the 1542. As I suspected it was the 1542 that I ended up buying.

Lots of guys have the Tracker 1542 and are very happy with it. I just wanna help you get the best deal for your money.

Funny you just wrote that. They just built a academy here and i was looking and saw the 1540 and couldn't find one on the alumacraft website so now i was guessing it is a miss print.

reedjj said:
I have have an AlumaCraft 1542 (pretty similar) that I rigged with a 25hp merc longshaft on a minijackplate with controls and a side console. I love it! 30mph in about 15 inches of water, easy to tow and big enough to take 3 people fishing or 4 people just riding.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299

You have modded your boat the way i want mine to be, great thread.

Well ended up getting an Alumacraft 1540. tried all 3 stores around here and none had the 1542. I even tried to go back and get the tracker 1542 and both of them where sold today. Now i need to get all my stuff off the old boat and do something with the old hull where i can mod it to work with the new boat.

ddf89fba.jpg

76d52412.jpg

Gave the old boat away. put the new one on had to move the crank thing (forgot the name) forward. i now need to take the boat back off and paint the trailer. I also need to put the new bunks and carpet on.
6db01ef4.jpg

Thats a good lookin boat!

Since you are going to do yours similar to mine. I have a few tips and things I would have done differently.

1. Use the pink closed cell foam instead of the regular styrofoam. I use the regualar styrofoam boards and havn't had any trouble so far, I check mine all the time and it is still not holding water or anything, but the guys on here scared me with so many horror stories of foam getting water logged that I will be replacing it this winter with the good stuff.

2. If you are going to make the bench that you mount the seats to out of wood. Use 3/4 ply wood or maybe even 15/32 ply. I made mine out of 2x6 with a 11/32 for the top part that is hinged and 2x6's are definately over kill and very heavy. You can save some weight by using the plywood and putting an extra piece in the center for a divider/support. Plus since I used the 2x6 and its only about 8 inches with the seat and base on top my knees are a little high when I am sitting in the seat. The plywood top, seatbase, and seat added a little height but when I re-do it this winter out of plywood I am going to make it 8" high. I think the extra 2 inches will really help the comfort. Go to a dealership and sit in a couple boats. When you find one you like measure it out and build yours to match.

I really like the extra bench idea over mounting the seats directly to the existing bench. it gets your weight more in the center of the boat, and helps to balance it out a lot better Just like a bass boat/ factory Side console design like tracker, G3, Lowe, AlumaCraft, etc use.

3. If possible build it all out of aluminum. Wood is cheaper and easy to work with but if you have the skills, money, and tools I recommend you use Aluminum.

4. Dont build a deck on top of the existing back deck. Simply install some aluminum angle 3/4 of an inch below the lip of the deck along both sides and along the rear of the rear bench creating a little ledge. You then can drop in a painted or carpeted piece of 3/4 ply cut to fit and it will support your weight, hide your tank, and whatever else you put back there. I have my tie down strap, 2 stroke oil, and oil measuring jug, along with my fuel treatment stored there.

Thanks for the hints. tomorrow i plan to go park the trailer in the middle of a field and spray paint it and redo the bunks. it's very windy here and it will be like this all week but i need to get it done. I'm starting a new job and this will be my last week off for a year.

https://www.akmccallum.com/console-steering.htm

Check out the 1542 package deal they have on here! It comes with a only a 20hp motor and they want $6,100.00 for it. I have been going on that website since I started on my boat and never saw that package deal. I didn't even spend half that on my build. I know the engine and trailer are new in the deal but STILL!

You are definatley doing the right thing by building your own! Lookin good! I like that Merc 25. It will be interesting to see how fast yours runs when you get her together. I have mine in for maint right now, It was missing pretty bad and bogging down. My engine guy says it was the carb needed cleaned. Maybe we will have to get together and have a race! LOL

Just took her for her maiden voyage for the amount of time my wife would let me do it, it ran 32mph gps with 2 adults and 2 battery's and gas.
9624f434.jpg

04382b75.jpg

45dd960d.jpg

Time for floors and seats.

Latest posts