New here with 1961 14’ Alumacraft V Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillagent

Reaction score
I originally posted this under Boat House, but I figured I’d better move it here. I’m new to the forum so I thought I’d introduce myself and my boat, and also ask a few questions. I’ve inherited my Grandfather’s 1961 14’ Alumacraft V Mod boat that he used to take me fishing in when I was a kid. So, I’m emotionally attached to it and I want to make modifications that I think he would be proud of. It’s very basic with three wooden benches and nothing else. The boat is in great shape with no leaks, except for the hole someone drilled in the bottom at the stern to get rid of the rainwater. Don’t ask.
I don’t have any measurements right now because I’m currently deployed and the boat is being stored upside down. So HH6 isn’t too keen on flipping it over and running a tape measure for me. My next duty station is about 45 miles away from a great Crappie and Walleye lake. For reasons I’m sure you’ll understand, I won’t go into where and when I’m going. But I want to get started now developing a plan so my son and I can work on it as a winter project. Right now the basic mods I want to make are a floor, casting deck at the bow and a short deck/storage at the stern. I’ve seen plenty of work going on here on the forum and I’ve got some great ideas, but two things keep nagging at me. So here it goes.
The boat rides high at the bow. So I’m trying to figure out if I should build the front casting deck level with the top edge of the boat or should I angle it down to make up for the ride? I’m thinking of redistributing weight by placing the two batteries and homemade live well under the deck with my 13 yo son sitting at the front. Will that even it out enough to compensate for the motor, fuel, and my 230lbs at the rear? Just a couple of things to get me going. I look forward to reading more and hopefully I’ll be able to contribute my construction photos this winter. Thanks.

Attachments

• Drillagent Boat Design.jpg
    Drillagent Boat Design.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,612
  • 100_0846.JPG
    100_0846.JPG
    886.5 KB · Views: 1,612
:WELCOME: :USA1:

IMO I wouln't make the deck to high or even with the top of the boat. I would make it about even with your seat height. The best way I've seen to judge stability is to put the boat in the water and simulate the weight. Move the weights around till you find the sweet spot. Then mod accordingly.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

sweet boat mines similar. I have a battery, small platform, trolling motor, and a 215lb brother that keep my bow down, he moves back to the middle when we go places. My boat likes to plow water with to much up front.

My Uncle has the same boat, although I'm not sure of the model year of his boat.
I would concur with keeping the decks at seat height, I think those alumacraft 14 footers are a bit more narrow than most.(@50"-54" beam) My Uncle has a seat height casting deck up front that works fine, the boat is a bit more tippy than my 14 footer that is 60" across but at seat height I've never felt uncomfortable standing up front in his boat.

Thanks for the info guys. After doing some research here, I figured it was best to put the casting deck and stern deck no higher than seat level. And I'm thinking of putting the floor as low as I can and filling underneath it with 4# 2 part poly foam. That way I can use 1/2" plywood for the floor and stern deck and make the casting deck out of 3/4" plywood to add some weight to the front. I've included a couple concept drawings. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Attachments

• Bow Design.jpg
    Bow Design.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,509
  • Stern Design.jpg
    Stern Design.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,509

Latest posts