new to forum and to boating...got a project boat here

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo_86_05

Reaction score
Hey all! Little bit bout myself, i live in northeast arkansas and have fished from the bank all my life. Im 24 years old, so thought it was time for a boat. Now, i know not one thing about boats, but google is my friend so i found this site. I've been looking around at some projects, and with a little help and input, i think i can turn this boat around. Not sure of the year model, but its a sears roebuck. I dont have major plans for it, i just want a floor deck with carpet, and maybe add a livewell in somewhere if possible. Wanted to cut out the middle seat, but not sure if it will hurt the boat or not. Also, i will be painting the boat. I will be picking it up this weekend, so i'll start the sanding process and preping for paint. Anyone wanna tell me about how much they think the boat and half decent trailor are worth? The trailor just needs axle work. Alright guys, start commenting away!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 1,447
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 1,447
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    894.5 KB · Views: 1,447
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,447
I have a 12' Valco similar to the boat in your photo. My boat is a 1974 model and my parents paid about $500.00 for it and a sweetheart of a Johnson 6hp of about the same vintage, back in 1996. They paid another $200.00 for a trailer intended for a 16' Tahiti low profile bubbledeck speed boat. My late uncle was a welder by trade and he modded the trailer to fit the Valco. Here locally (northeastern Oklahoma), I see boats like mine for sale for $250.00 or less and they simply don't "move." It seems that folks around here would rather go into debt at Bass Pro for a Tracker with carpet, bling-bling graphics, trolling motor, fish finder, bigger motor, etc. than "settle" for a basic little aluminum skiff. Those that might settle for something basic are also inclined to spend their cash at Bass Pro where they can catch a sale on a 12' riveted jon that they'd deem to be the functional equivalent of my boat.

I've had a few boats over the years but my favorite was a 13' Boston Whaler Super Sport. It had two wooden thwart seats, a small bow platform with storage locker to forward, a wooden seatback / storage locker behind the rear thwart seat, and a small wooden steering console. I liked that boat because it was basic and simple, yet versitile. I could fish two people comfortably with it, or cruise with four adults comfortably. It fit in a standard two-car garage, but I took it across 26 miles of open ocean to Catalina Island regularly. I want to set my Valco up as the "tin can" version of the Whaler I had, duplicating the interior layout as much as possible. I need to re-do my wooden seat tops, anyhow, so adding in the rest of the mods won't be that huge a deal.

I wouldn't cut the middle thwart out of my boat because it is obviously a sturctural member and I think it is the same with yours. It isn't that big a deal to step over the thing if I need to, and keeping it gives me a place to seat people when out cruising around. I think it adds to the utility of what is suppsoed to be a utility vessel, so I'd want to keep it even if I could ditch it.

Yours looks like a cool ittle boat. I hope you enjoy it, and enjoy setting it up exactly how you want it.

T-C

Thanks for the input! Ok, i guess i'll leave the middle bench in for now and replace the old rotten wood. I dont know much about what all needs to be in the boat though. I knowmost on here are adding fish finders. What are some good prices on them? I mean, im going to stick to small lakes and a small river that runs around my house, so im sure i wouldnt need anything expensive. I just dont want to get ripped off since i have no clue about them. Are there any requirements that have to be on all boats? Like lights, or anything else. Getting really excited about this. Going to pick up the boat early in the morning. Im planning on sanding the boat. Any ideas or tips to make the process go a lot faster?

Don't waste your time sanding it. Get a wire wheel for your drill and you will be done in no time.

Same goes for the trailer. looks like a wire wheel, a couple cans of rustoleum, two tires and wheels, and maybe some new bearings an you will be back in business.

I would leave the center seat as well. It doesn't look like the supports go up the sides. So that means that the seat IS the support. maybe you could install a little live well in the center seat. Or just use a cooler as a live well.

Unless your tournament fishing I never understood the need for a livewell. A cooler with Ice or just lake water in a bucket always worked fine for me. Just ad a little water every now and then to keep the Oxygen level up enough so they don't die. Catfish live for hours out of water, I've never used one for catfish.

That boat can come out really nice with a little TLC. As far as the middle seat, I removed mine and haven't run into any problems yet. But each boat is different so it depends on how much support its giving. A nice flat decking sitting low with some carpet and that thing will be pretty nice. If your wanting to strip off the paint the best way ive found is to use a stripping wheel on a grinder. 3M makes them they are called "Sandblaster" disks. Good luck, cant wait to see the mod in action =D>

Im getting a trolling motor with this boat...how do i need to go about mounting it? I dont have an outboard motor yet, so i can hook it on the back if need be, but i plan on a small outboard soon. Also, is there a way to add a steering column in this boat? Is there enough room? is it feasiable?

You can build a small deck on the front of the boat with wood and mount the motor to that. Take a look at my build to see how we did it. As for the steering column I wouldn't bother, with a boat that size it will take up too much room and isn't worth the hassle IMO.

ok, i went and got the boat this weekend. Havent been able to do a single thing to it due the consistent rain fall...anyhow, suppose to have a break a few days this week so maybe i can work then. Anyhow, the trailor is down for now, but havent got to look to see what needs to be done to it. Tires are in good shape i do know. Got the trailor, boat, 36 lb thurst trolling motor and a new wench for...get this....$50!!!!!!!!! The guy just wanted the items out of his yard, so i was more than happy to take it off his hand.