Ground up bowfishing boat build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimLowRobin

Reaction score
New to this site, found it while searching for some info related to my bowfishing boat build. I thought I would start a thread on my project. It is not a modification project, it is a custom build based on my design...literally from from the ground (sheet aluminum) up. If this doesn't fit in this section, mods please just let me know. If it fits and has the interest, I will keep it updated as the project progresses over the next few weeks.

A little background: I am not new to bowfishing and this is not my first boat. I have been bowfishing for over 20 years and currently co-own a bowfishing related business (outdoor video). My most recent boat was a 19x60 mod v jon with a 90 hp prop motor, raised front deck and raised video tower. That boat is now sold and so here we go...

Up front details:
- The new boat will be a custom built flatbottom jon, 20x72 with 36" sides built by Redneck Airboats in Oklahoma. I choose them based on many reasons, but quality of boats going out the door and good people were biggest factors. If you dream up the idea, they can make it happen if it is aluminum.
- Raised center console
- Raised shooting deck floor 14 inches above sides, with enclosed light rail underneath
- 12 inch walkarounds with storage
- video tower will be 3' above shooting deck, and will fold down during road transport
- 200 hp outboard purchased and on its way to the builder
- kicker motor push/pull steered from front deck (approx 9.9 hp, still looking for motor)
- trolling motor up front (not purchased yet)
- tandem aluminum trailer

I have attached a sketch with notes that shows the plan view of the layout for those interested

Attachments

• aim low boat layout.pdf
    164.3 KB · Views: 358
Decisions still to be made:
- kicker motor? Just looking for the right deal, but it will be around the 8 or 9.9 hp range, hopefully 4 stroke.
- type of lights. Due to our video needs, MH and HPS are ruled out. May use the old standby halogens, but looking real hard at LED technology.
- paint vs vinyl wrap.
- interior paint or coating? Most surfaces will be a five bar diamond plate. Many would just leave it silver but we fish a lot in the daytime so do not want all that reflected sunlight. My last boat was lined with a bedliner type material...we may go that route again.
- exact seat arrangement behind center console. Looking at the builder fabbing up a "leaning post" type bench, or perhaps using a marine cooler for the seat portion. We will definitely have dual 2000 watt inverter generators underneath this seat though. Out of the way, in a permanent place, and noise sheilded from the front of the boat somewhat.

huntinfool said:

LOL...there will be lots and lots of them, trust me. They are just getting started this week, so none yet.

A new update is that I found a new 15 hp kicker that I will be ordering tomorrow to be shipped to the builder. Only $200 to move up from 9.8 to 15, so I figured it would be worth it.

Here we go...aluminum cutting and welding officially started yesterday.
77aba37d.jpg

e6c98e83.jpg

Robin,

I seem to run into you on multiple sites. First on bowsite and now here on tinboats. Sounds like things are going well for you with the videos. We haven't seen each other since back in the Gateway Bowhunter days but keep bumping into one another in cyberspace. I hope all is well with you and your family. Good luck and if you see any of the old Gateway crowd tell them I said hello.

Matt

MOBowhunter said:
Robin,

I seem to run into you on multiple sites. First on bowsite and now here on tinboats. Sounds like things are going well for you with the videos. We haven't seen each other since back in the Gateway Bowhunter days but keep bumping into one another in cyberspace. I hope all is well with you and your family. Good luck and if you see any of the old Gateway crowd tell them I said hello.

Matt

Hey there Matt! Family is great and yes, our little production company is doing pretty good too. Shoot some water body, state, and world record fish on video and that tends to push things for you, lol.

fender66 said:
Still sitting patiently waiting for more updates. Amazing build. Wish I had the skills to do this.

If I had the skills to do it myself, I wouldn't be stuck waiting for updates with you! :D

I was told work picked up this morning on the boat, so some updated pix should show up tonight or tomorrow.

AimLowRobin said:
fender66 said:
Still sitting patiently waiting for more updates. Amazing build. Wish I had the skills to do this.

If I had the skills to do it myself, I wouldn't be stuck waiting for updates with you! :D

I was told work picked up this morning on the boat, so some updated pix should show up tonight or tomorrow.

AWESOME! :LOL2:

thought I'd check in and update. The manufacturer took a 2 week break from my boat but started back up yesterday full force. Should have some new pix coming and coming fast. Boat could be ready by next Tuesday barring any problems with the motors, etc.

Some decision updates:

- Going with a 12V lighting system, all LED lights. This means no generator noise. This type of lighting is pretty experimental and unproven among bowfishers, but we'll see how they work out. I will have 2 extra deep cell batts in the boat, but not a big deal for this boat, and comparable to the weight of a genny anyways, not to mention saving me the cash I planned on spending for two Honda gennies. I will be running a charge to these batteries from my kicker motor's alternator. We won't always be running the kicker motor, but will be a good portion of the time.

- Lining the interior with Mostaliner (www.monstaliner.com). Tried out some samples this past weekend and very much liked the product. Easy to apply and very nice results.

Pix coming soon...

Latest posts