12' Sears V-Hull modification Pics added

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyp

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This past Sunday I just picked up a 12' Sears v-hull with a Evinrude 9.5HP for a grand total of 50.00. Guy just wanted it out of his yard. Im planning on modifying the boat and Im looking for potential pitfalls I should be looking out for. Im going to sell the outboard, I have no need for it, I wont take this in the river and 95% of the lakes around here are limited to electric only trolling motors. Anyway, I would like to do the following:

Add a bow mount trolling motor (any idea on how much thrust)
Add a front casting deck maybe or will this make the boat too unstable?
Add rod storage
Add seats front and back.
Also would like to add a fish finder and battery storage in the middle seat.

Other questions, will foam sheets such as the ones you purchase at home depot or lowes increase my weight rating? Its currently rated for 488lbs which includes everything. Would like to beef that up if the foam will do so.

Will post pics when I get home later.

Thanks,

CYPboat2.jpg

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,400
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,400
  • engine1.JPG
    engine1.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,400
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,400
Decided to keep the motor. Popped the top off today, everything from what I can tell looks good. Plugs looked brand new. Drained the lower unit oil, that looked good. Going to clean the carb and replace the plugs and fire it up.

I cannot seem to click on your pics to make them bigger :|

Anyways... If that's a 9.5 Twinsport, I have that same motor, I also have the manual and parts catalog for it, so if you need any of that info I can probably help you out

Looks like a cool boat... is that carpeting on the seats? (again, can't enlarge pics, so not sure)

Good luck!

z0mbie f1sherman said:

Anyways... If that's a 9.5 Twinsport, I have that same motor, I also have the manual and parts catalog for it, so if you need any of that info I can probably help you out

Looks like a cool boat... is that carpeting on the seats? (again, can't enlarge pics, so not sure)

Good luck!

Sorry stupid cell phone pics. My daughter has a great camera, not here this week though. Yes, that is a 1966 Twinsport. I may take you up on your offer, I appreciate it greatly.

z0mbie f1sherman said:

Good luck!

Oh and not carpeting on the seats, they actually feel like fiberglass even though the boat is aluminum

I have pretty much the same boat and the exact same motor. I also wanted to add a bow mount trolling motor and casting decks front and rear. My boat has a 560 lb weight limit and I'm 225 so after the mods I realized I would be pushing very close to the weight limit with just me in the boat. I'll be interested to see what you decide to do.

Shake n Bake said:
I have pretty much the same boat and the exact same motor. I also wanted to add a bow mount trolling motor and casting decks front and rear. My boat has a 560 lb weight limit and I'm 225 so after the mods I realized I would be pushing very close to the weight limit with just me in the boat. I'll be interested to see what you decide to do.

Im probably going to use the pourable floatation foam in open cavitites to create a greater weight limit. I think one gallon is about 80.00 and it adds 400 to 800lbs I believe

After working way too much lately with elections, stripping of paint should commence within the next couple of days.