1996 Bass Tracker TX 17 Build- Updated Progress Pics

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
mmf

1996 Bass Tracker TX 17 Build

Post by mmf »

jigngrub wrote:Image

My boat doesn't have that problem... but I bought it new and no one else has ever laid a hand on it.
looks like you bought a good one, is it a tracker?
I LOVE old aluminum boats and old Mercury outboards!

My 17' Tracker project: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=16860
Lone Star project: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=16581

jigngrub

Post by jigngrub »

mmf wrote: looks like you bought a good one, is it a tracker?
Yeah Buddy! It's a '97 Pro Deep V 17. :D
Rum, wenches, and song... just another day on my boat.

BYOB Fishing

Post by BYOB Fishing »

cooter brown wrote:
jigngrub wrote:
cooter brown wrote:I'll bet I removed 150lbs of wet wood, carpet, and saturated foam. This has been discussed before, but Tracker used open cell foam throughout the boat. The foam under the front deck was an expandable foam. This stuff expanded under the drainage channels and blocked any flow to the back of the boat. Any water up front just sat there for years and saturated the open cell foam.

Above you can see the carnage from the sawzall and budweiser..... :lol:
That does not look like a factory installation on the foan @ the front deck, nor does it sound like something Traker would do by blocking the drainage channel. 10:1 the foam was ripped out and replaced by the PO when he lowered the front deck.

I think one of the biggest problems with foam is that some people can't tell the difference between closed and open cell.

Closed cell foam will waterlog, but it has to be submerged for a year or more.

Why aren't there any pics of the rest of the foam? Or a closeup of the front foam?

There has been at least 1/2 dozen builds on these exact boats on this forum with the same problem. I know for a fact the previous owner did not install that foam because he is a friend of mine and I saw it when he first cut the deck out about a month ago. It really doesn't matter if it's open cell or closed cell, it was completely saturated in areas around the blockage and had to go. I didn't take close up pics of the foam before I started ripping it out. Didn't really think there was a need. Under the deck area, every single drainage channel was block under the ribs where the foam expanded and hardened.

My 1983 tracker is the same way.
'83 Bass Tracker Tournament TX 16.5'
'09 60hp Mercury Four Stroke EFI
'87 15' LOWE Pro Jon
'87 9.9 Evinrude
'06 Jeep GC

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=14064

jigngrub

Post by jigngrub »

Dang! It must really suck to be Tracker owners like y'all eh?

I love my Tracker!!!

crkdltr

Post by crkdltr »

Good looking project. If you have any questions regarding that motor, let me know. I've got the same motor that I've been all over tuning and repairing. I have a fairly good understanding of it now through trial and error.

Good luck!

clarego

Post by clarego »

im may get a peek underneath the deck before she goes into storage but i hate to say it i may not go the foam route i have till the middle of october id rather fish for now then go into a project :mrgreen:
I used to be the One on the bank thinking to myself this sucks!
I love PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=21590 my 1988 tracker tx

Clarego

Ictalurus

Post by Ictalurus »

jigngrub

While I've never owned or remodeled a Tracker, I've heard of and seen many pictures on this site described the expanding foam problem in Trackers. In the picture of your boat, it looks like Tracker only cut out two drain holes down the centerline of your boat.
Attachments
DSC02206.jpg

cooter brown

Post by cooter brown »

jigngrub wrote:Dang! It must really suck to be Tracker owners like y'all eh?

I love my Tracker!!!

Not at all! I love this boat too! I was't complaining, just stating that this situation existed with my boat. No one here is slamming Tracker. If you look closely at the pics of the ribs in my boat, they are solid in the middle from the bracing. I have no holes cut in my center of the ribs like your boat does. The only path for water to run on my boat is in the v channels of the hull under the ribs. Those were the channels that were blocked in my boat and other TX 17 Trackers that I have seen on this forum. The TX 17's are modified V's, not V hull designs like yours. The angle of the hull is not as steep and all of the water has to run along those outer hull channels 'cause there is not center channel hole.

cooter brown

Carpet Glue Removal

Post by cooter brown »

Like many others I was not looking forward to removing the 15 year old carpet glue from all the aluminum panels, hatches and deck framing. I had decided that I would just use a cup brush and a big electric drill. I found some old varnish remover that I had around from a gun stock refinishing project. I brushed it on and let it sit for about 30 minutes. What do you know, it worked great. You may have to leave it on some stubborn stuff for longer, but does work and much easier and faster than the cup brush. Here is a panel i used it on and the can of the remover. It is called Bix and I bought it from Lowes, I believe:

mmf

Post by mmf »

Look like it works good, brother. Keep up the good work!

jigngrub

Post by jigngrub »

Ictalurus wrote:jigngrub

While I've never owned or remodeled a Tracker, I've heard of and seen many pictures on this site described the expanding foam problem in Trackers. In the picture of your boat, it looks like Tracker only cut out two drain holes down the centerline of your boat.
That's just camera angle.

All drain holes are clean, present, and accounted for.

cooter brown

Post by cooter brown »

Got a little time to work on the boat this morning. My boat is actually located about 35 miles from where I live. I live in a town house and don't have room for a boat. I keep it at my buddy's house and it's not easy to find time to get down there.

Today, we added some additional bracing to the deck structure. It went surprising quick since we had everything all leveled up and actually had a game plan before we started. Below are some pics of the progress....

I'm going to have to add some more bracing depending on what gauge deck sheet I go with. Structurally speaking this thing is very strong.

I have a little situation going on the port side. The factory "L" bracket has been hacked up. I can't get a rivet gun in there because it has been cut off so close to the port gunnel. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to tie it all together on the sides.

I hope to get down there tomorrow AM and will update soon.

Eric

butchertony

Post by butchertony »

cooter brown wrote:A few weeks back, I got a good deal on a 1996 Tracker TX 17 Tournament. The boat had some issues but the motor had good compression and ran well. The front deck structure and rod locker had been removed by the previous owner. He was going make a raised deck for bow fishing but realized it wasn't stable enough to build on.

Here are some pics of how it looked when I picked it up:

Nice stainless prop

Here's where things get a little more interesting. In the pic below, you can see how the deck structure was cut out:

On to the teardown.....
shoot yea thats what I need

mmf

Post by mmf »

cooter brown wrote:Got a little time to work on the boat this morning. My boat is actually located about 35 miles from where I live. I live in a town house and don't have room for a boat. I keep it at my buddy's house and it's not easy to find time to get down there.

Today, we added some additional bracing to the deck structure. It went surprising quick since we had everything all leveled up and actually had a game plan before we started. Below are some pics of the progress....

I'm going to have to add some more bracing depending on what gauge deck sheet I go with. Structurally speaking this thing is very strong.

I have a little situation going on the port side. The factory "L" bracket has been hacked up. I can't get a rivet gun in there because it has been cut off so close to the port gunnel. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to tie it all together on the sides.

I hope to get down there tomorrow AM and will update soon.

Eric
Looks good cooter, Is it possible you could SS bolt a new plate in thru the gunnel.?
Sometimes I use SS cap bolts with an allen head, they look like a big RIVET when installed.
You can get them from McMaster-Carr in Atlanta much cheaper than the hardware! :wink:

cooter brown

Post by cooter brown »

Well, it's been a while since I updated this build. I've been really busy at work and haven't had too much time to get to the boat.

Here we added some additional bracing.

Here you can see the test fit of the main deck sheeting. The front area will be a separate panel held down by button head SS screws. This way, I will always be able to get to the trolling motor/ light harness. It also maximized the 1/8" 4x8 sheet of aluminum. The seat post base will be up here.

I had some old signs that I was planning to use for the floors. I was going to put foam board under the floor but the more I thought about it the more I didn't like the idea of saltwater being trapped under that the foam. The signs were just too thin to use without the foam board. The only way that they would have worked would have been to add additional braces to the factory ribs. I bit the bullet and purchased another 4x8 sheet of 1/8" aluminum. It hurt my wallet but I'm happy I waited and got the right stuff.

Shiny new floor! You can also see the additional bracing for the front section in this pic.

Got the vertical bulkhead panels cut and installed. I used a piece of the angle at the base for a trim piece to give it a finished look. The side panel on the right is not installed. It's just kinda leaning over there.

The front section is still not installed. It's just up there to get an idea of how it will look. I still have to figure out exactly where I want my seat base.

Next, I will start to work on the side panels. They will have to be extended a little. The starboard panel is not cut straight at all. I plan to use the foam board behind the side panels.

It's getting closer and closer..... more to come.

-Eric