To Be Named Lowe Sprite 1540

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyScott

Reaction score
Okay where to start!

So found this gem on craigslist about 2 years ago, we had just completed the first mod which was the exact same boat just a different year. So... as a total that make 3 Lowe Sprites. Yes we do like this style of boat. They are fast when tied to a 9.9, but yet are big enough to handle two guys.

At the moment we are in the middle of 2 mods, my brother's 1997 and my 1980s model sprite so pics may be a little slow we are just able to work on them on the weekends, all work no play really sucks!

Okay so like I said that I found this boat on craigslist, no trailer just the boat. I found out that the boat had been sitting in a lake for about 3 years, you can see the scum line in the boat... BLACK with scum. We went though a lot of different chemicals to try and remove the scum... I went to the local auto parts store and asked for Alumibrite, they were out, of course, so I got the next best thing, Wire Wheel Cleaner. That just chewed the scum right off, I highly recommend it.

Attachments

• Pic #1.JPG
    Pic #1.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pic #2.JPG
    Pic #2.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pic #4.JPG
    Pic #4.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 2,492
All of the carpet was ruined, and the foam a whole nother story!!!

After sitting in the lake for 3 years everything was completly water logged. We had to remove all of the flooring and of course all of the foam, so as you can see we are removing everything. Digging out old factory foam is not as easy as it sounds especially when its about 100 degrees with that lovely 95% humidty.

Attachments

• Pic #5.JPG
    Pic #5.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pic #13.JPG
    Pic #13.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 2,492
here are the pics of the scum on the side of the boat before and after!

Attachments

• Pic #6.JPG
    Pic #6.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pic #7.JPG
    Pic #7.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pic #8.JPG
    Pic #8.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pic #9.JPG
    Pic #9.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pic #10.JPG
    Pic #10.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pic #12.JPG
    Pic #12.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 2,492
Once we started to use the wire wheel cleaner it only took about 30-45 mins to clean the entire boat. That stuff is amazing! Just literaly added the chemical and the scum ran off.

So the new winter project starts here.

We are now about 2 weekends in to the project and making good progress so far. Not as fast as I want the project to be coming but the weather is not even close to be fishing time, so I am okay with the project.

If you have kept up with my "Old Man's Rig" you will see that the floatation pods in the rear of the boat have been shortened by about 1 foot just to give the guy in the back of the boat a little more room to move around.

We are raising the front deck a little higher on this one just suits my style of fishing a little more. Also raising the front deck allows me to add a rod box to keep the boat a little more organized during travel and while fishing. Also traveling down those dusty gravel roads it just keeps the grim out of my reels.

So the floor was out and had to add the foam under it for floatation and to help quite noise.

The flotation pods also had to have foam added, we just used spray in foam.

Attachments

• Pic #14.JPG
    Pic #14.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 2,489
  • Pic #15.JPG
    Pic #15.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 2,488
  • Pic #16.JPG
    Pic #16.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 2,488
  • Pic #17.JPG
    Pic #17.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,490
  • Pic #18.JPG
    Pic #18.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 2,488
Now for the part that I enjoy.

WIRING

Ran the trolling motor wire 6 ga AGW.

Also ran all of the acc wire. 16 ga. AGW.

Wire ran so far...
- Bow Light
- Stern Light
- Bildge Pump
- Areoator
- Main power wire for the Switch Panel (still to be purchased)
Need to run
- wire for all the accent lights that I will be adding for show

Hopefully I wont have to run anymore since the floor is in.

Attachments

• Pic #19.JPG
    Pic #19.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,489
  • Pic #20.JPG
    Pic #20.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 2,489
  • Pic #21.JPG
    Pic #21.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 2,489
  • Pic #22.JPG
    Pic #22.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 2,489
Here is the creation of the front deck frame.

Its made out of a ripped 2x6 and angled 2x4's, Kinda heavy be we did do a test to see if the deck height would work at the lake last winter and I was acctually concerned that there would not be enough weight in the front, so I am ok with a little extra weight.

Attachments

• Pic #23.JPG
    Pic #23.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 2,488
  • Pic #24.JPG
    Pic #24.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 2,488
  • Pic #25.JPG
    Pic #25.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 2,488
So this past weekend I had to go pick out a wedding band for myself with my fiance in the city, so I didn't get much done. On the bright side I did make the trip worth while and stopped at Bass Pro to play with all the Humminbirds! I think I have decided on the 898 HD SI. Main reason is the transducer size and the price.

I did add the foam to the front deck.

We also got the slots cut for the rod boxes. (pics to come)

We are using 1 1/4" 160psi PVC pipe for the Rod boxes. 6 on each side.

Lets hear the comments so far!

Let me know what you think, GOOD or BAD!

Looks great man! And congrats on getting hitched. What kind of rod holder configuration do you plan on? I am still trying to figure out how to get mine off the floor during transport and movement.

This is a crude drawing from paint, but this is the idea that I have in my head for a rod holder for my rod boxes. I would strat them down with a small bungie to keep them from bouncing out. Obviously invert them for each side of the box. Always keep in mind K.I.S.S. that way if I want to use the box for storage I can take them out.

The other idea that I have is to use eva foam "Rod Saver" rod holders.
https://www.basspro.com/Rod-Saver-Side-Mount-Rod-Holder/product/74379/
Similar to these, two in each box.

Attachments

• Rod holder.png
    Rod holder.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,365
Here is a general layout of the boat

The front deck back will all be level back to the livewell. Makes it easier to walk back and forth from front to back than the current design.

Attachments

• Boat Layout.png
    Boat Layout.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 2,362
Let me know if you have any different ideas for the rod storage.

Thanks Ictalurus!!

Another long weekend working on the new boat. New seat and carpet came in on Friday which made the weekend start off great! Always love seeing shipments arrive on time! Also got some accessory lights in this past week to light up the rod lockers, tackle storage, front and rear deck. (pics will come when those get installed!)

Attachments

• Pic #30.JPG
    Pic #30.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,100
The rod tubes finally started to come together, got them cut off flush with the deck. This was a bit of a challenge it was a tough angle to get the saw in but with a little persuasion and some sanding I got them to look clean! For the rod tubes we used 1 1/4" PVC 200 psi pipe, really thin wall to keep the weight and cost down. Unfortunatly Lowes only keeps about 3 straight 10 footers in stock so after two trips in two weeks we finally got 6 decent pieces.

Attachments

• Pic #28.JPG
    Pic #28.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #31.JPG
    Pic #31.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,101
We used the original deck and split it down the middle to keep the right angle on the side and to save on the cost of aluminum. We used expanding foam under the deck to firm up and to help with support. The deck, as you can see, is three different pieces.

Attachments

• Pic #32.JPG
    Pic #32.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #33.JPG
    Pic #33.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #34.JPG
    Pic #34.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,101
Now comes one of my other favorite parts of the builds. Installing carpet! I know a lot of guys dread this part but just taking your time and a sharp utility knife will go a long way.

Thanks again for the posts on where to get boat mod materials

got the carpet from boatcarpetbuys.com

got the carpet and a seat for $150. 6'x25'.

order carpet and a seat and get 30% off I really recommend this site fast shipping and great Customer Service!!!

Attachments

• Pic #35.JPG
    Pic #35.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #36.JPG
    Pic #36.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #37.JPG
    Pic #37.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #38.JPG
    Pic #38.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #39.JPG
    Pic #39.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #40.JPG
    Pic #40.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,101
Sunday I got to build the frame to the rod box and the tackle storage. Also got to cut the lids out. Pics of the lids to come soon, once they are installed.

If yall have any questions let me know

Again I'm intrested in hearing any suggestions that you guys may have. This site has given me a ton of ideas for all of our builds and I just wanted to give back to you guys!

Attachments

• Pic #41.JPG
    Pic #41.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #42.JPG
    Pic #42.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #43.JPG
    Pic #43.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pic #44.JPG
    Pic #44.JPG