Duracraft 2060 Remodel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrax

Reaction score
Hi all, I've owned my boat for a couple of years and it's gotten a little crusty so I finally took the plunge and started tearing her down. Shes a 1985 Duracraft 2060CC fishing, duck hunting, tube pulling machine. uploadfromtaptalk1359828908897.jpg

I suffer from a terrible affliction called work :eek: so my free time is limited. It's a tuff thing to deal with. My progress is going to be slow.:|

All I have done so far is tear out the carpet on the sides(old capet glue sucks), and drill out rivets and take off trim pieces. I need to pull off the inside of the gunwales so I can get the floor plates off on the inside front deck. The previous owner had the bright idea to install a pedestal seat mount in front of the center console incorrectly. It got all corroded and fell apart ruining the deck plates. All the rivets came loose around it, I guess from the extra weight and loosened up the plates. plus there's a big hole so it's getting new pieces of the aluminum on the floor in the front.

So, I will be, in the near future, drilling out about 400 rivets, reattaching the CC, livewell seat, re-doing the floor in front of the cc, and transom. I'm also going to repaint the entire hull, applying grizzly grip on the decks and I'm sure I'll think of more stuff. If I'm screwing something up tell me please. Any tips would be appreciated.
Andrew

Looks like a great project! I can't wait to really get rollin on mine, good to see another duck hunting build.

Well, I got a little more stripped off the boat. My time is limited, so this is taking forever.

Did I mention I hate carpet glue!

I have drilled out a bazillion rivets and there's more to go. Every time I think I'm done, I have to scrape glue or crud to find a hidden rivet.

I got one of the deck plates off, and I'm not sure about the foam that's in there. I took a small piece home with me and left it soaking in a bowl of water to see if it will get water logged. It seems like closed cell, and It seems to repel water, but its old and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to remove it. I would rather not if I can get by.
I can't get the other plate off till i drill out about 30 non stainless screws that some genius decided to use to screw down the center console

The rub rail is dented in a couple of spots uploadfromtaptalk1360806944999.jpg
Anybody have any ideas on how to straighten this out? Will heat help bend it easier?
uploadfromtaptalk1360808256297.jpg

Any one ever have their boat bead blasted? My car painter buddy was saying that its an option vs wire brushing. Sounds easier, but may not be cost effective. I haven't looked to much into that option.
Hope to get more done this weekend. The wife works this sat. and I'm on daddy duty, so I'll be working on it during nap times. LOL
Till next time
Andrew

In my experience you just have to live with that dented rub rail, or you force it back out then weld up the crack that's going to appear and it will still look dented. Just call it a battle scar from from 25+ years of service.

Besides chicks dig scars!

andrax said:
The rub rail is dented in a couple of spots
Anybody have any ideas on how to straighten this out? Will heat help bend it easier?
View attachment 1
It looks like the inside of the rail is mostly good, but the outside of the rail has been "rolled down" by an impact.
If you want to try rolling it it back out, get the biggest pair of channel lock pliers you can find and wrap the jaws with
a couple of bandaids with the pads on the inside of the jaws to keep from scaring the rail. Work from the outside to the center
of the dent and go slow. Hope this helps, that's a real :) nice tin.
Jerry

Lowe 2070 CC said:
In my experience you just have to live with that dented rub rail, or you force it back out then weld up the crack that's going to appear and it will still look dented. Just call it a battle scar from from 25+ years of service.

Besides chicks dig scars!

I'd leave it there too!

I figured as much about the dented rail. Kinda like those cars you see, where the owner tried to get the dents out, and it looks worse.

Like this: uploadfromtaptalk1360888055302.jpg

We'll just have to see:?:

Andrew great boat,

I’m with Jerry on this one, it’s probably not going to come out perfect but if you go slow you can get it close. I gorillad mine and put a small cracked in it. Nothing a little JB weld and some paint can’t fix.
What motor are you running?

What about finding a broom stick handle or some other sort of round bar that is the same size as the space behind the rail and drive it down behind the bend? Should get it pretty close to the way it was. Personally I would leave it as it is though.
Chris

Country Dave said:
Andrew great boat,

I’m with Jerry on this one, it’s probably not going to come out perfect but if you go slow you can get it close. I gorillad mine and put a small cracked in it. Nothing a little JB weld and some paint can’t fix.

I've got a 1986 90hp Evinrude on it. Wish I had a 115.

andrax said:

I'm with you on putting as much HP as you are rated for (can afford), but that being said I have a 2060 F&F work boat running a merc bigfoot 60 fourstroke that (while not a 115) will impress you.

andrax said:
Country Dave said:
Andrew great boat,

I would think a 90 would push it pretty good if propped right. I’m a little over powered put hey it just kind of worked out that way. If money wasn’t an issue at all, I would be running a new Yamaha F90, but I’m happy with what I have. :D

Well, I never said I wasn't happy with it :smile: it's a solid motor. But like they say, you can chit in one hand...and wish in the other:grin:

uploadfromtaptalk1363974746088.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363974776088.jpg

Boat is stripped,
next step: transom!
Wondering if I can get by without welding the pitting. JB weld? Going to pull the wood out this weekend, Just have to cut the transom cap off. Going to the welder for some other stuff after the 1st of the month.
I ended up scoring a deal on a 110hp evinrude. The previous owner hit a stump going 40mph and poked a big hole in the hull of his bass boat. Ouch.
My wife told me I need to hurry up and finish this boat so we can get on the water...
Andrew

That is a nice looking boat. I am in the process of fixing up my fishing/duck boat. Are you dead set on using Grizzly Grip?

Not dead set. I like the feel of hydro turf, but it doesn't look like it will last. I found this stuff https://sprayonbedliners.info/home.html the kit comes with the spray gun. I think its like linex
I don't know though. They are sending me a sample.

What do y'all think about it?
Still waiting on the welder and paint on the outside. We'll just have to see.
Andrew

I got my samples of linerextreeme. It looks and feels great. I'm going to line the inside of my boat with it. The kit come with the spray gun to apply it. All I need to do is finish everything else!
Transom gets cut open and removed tomorrow:shock:

Latest posts