Iversons Liquid Medicine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iverson_4x4

Reaction score
Hello Tin Boaters! I have been a lurker for a few years now, and I have to give you guys a hand for the awesome work that y'all have done! =D>

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge into modifying a tin... To give some back ground my Father-In-Law and I have been fishing out of one of those older 14ft skinny Jon Boats for the past 10 years. (He was my college professor and friend before my Father-In-Law... that's a whole other story!! HA!) Well, between the both of us you've got 500lbs, add in the tackle and the boat just isn't that sturdy. So I told him I was going to find a wider boat, I was looking for a 1448 or 1648. Well, I stumbled across one I couldn't pass up on. I found 1648 SeaNymph Bass Attacker w/ trailer & 50hp Mercury Motor on it for $500 dollars. The guy I bought it from had plans on gutting it and restoring it himself. Well he go the decking up and called it quits. He already had (2) 12'X4' sheets of 1/8" Aluminum for the decking & electrical switch panel that he through in for the same price.

To be honest I wasn't going to do a build write up due to not having a lot of time or $$$ to get it all done quickly. Well I got to thinking about it and as many ideas and help that I have got from this forum it would be selfish to not do one. Who knows, I a may give somebody and idea about something and that's what it is all about. But since I wasn't originally going to do a write up, I don't have the start pictures. Luckily I am not that far into the project so you didn't miss much. (Everyone knows what foam removal looks like and what a pain it is!!)

Here we go, what you have been waiting for! This is my new to me boat... Liquid Medicine:
1806e0b1-ebd5-4cac-adcd-d2c1a51beaf9.jpg

My plans for this boat is to turn it to all electric. As you can see above I already removed the Motor & Steering Column. All of the lakes we fish are electric only lakes. I figure I can sell the Motor probably for more than what I got in the boat and put it back in the boat!

Well, to get the project started I stripped all the foam out, and applied GluvIt to the rivets on the inside of the Hull. Before I did the GluvIt I did fill the boat full of water, and none of the rivets leaked. Since I was already down this far I figured a little insurance wouldn't hurt anything. As mentioned earlier, I don't have in progress pictures of this, but I do have one of the GluvIt dried:

GLUVIT.jpeg

Next I redone all rivets on the rib braces that support the lower decking. Then I installed Blue Board foam in the lower decking, and then riveted aluminum decking to the ribs I reset. I lucked up and a buddy of mine had (9) sheets of Blue Board left over from a project (He is a home builder), and gave them to me for the FREE!! I was so grateful as this is going to be a budget build. Now don't get me wrong, just because it is going to be a budget build doesn't mean I am going to cut the corners.

Well, I got the go from a buddy of mine that is a welder... :twisted: So I started mocking a few things up. Since this is going to be an all electric boat, I want to extend the wiring housing that used to hold the throttle lever. Right at the Bow Casting Deck I Mocked up a console that will house a removable face plate that will hold all my switches. Then I got to playing around with my trolling motor mount, and decided I wanted to mount it straight instead of diagonal... this of course meant I need to extend the top platform out a little. Then I got to looking around and decided I needed more storage room, so I mocked up a storage compartment on the Stern Casting Deck to copy on both sides. The seat supports were weak, so he is going to strengthen them up, probably completely redo them. Its at his work place now being done... I cant wait to see the final outcome.

Here are my Mock Ups, you can see the lower decking that I have already added:

Switch Console with Extended Wiring Housing
a10d9bdd-371e-4cca-b79a-5f3247a54b32.jpg

406c4fc9-bec7-4814-bdf1-8fba55742714.jpg

0370f19b-f446-4994-b399-67c5a5154985.jpg

Rear Compartments in the rear casting decks. Only mocked up one, but getting the compartments on both sides:
253378b1-e014-4979-8aaa-6d9b9b9b8d67.jpg

Extending platform to mount trolling motor straight:
846f0c48-cf3c-4b3c-9493-a124e21845e2.jpg

Complete view of mock up from the rear:
7200cb07-eed6-4ad6-a2fe-e1cdf5b713ac.jpg

Well, that is where I am now... waiting. Hopefully I will have it back next weekend. This build is going to take some time, but I think the outcome will be well worth it. With my wife not working and going to school & a 3 year old little girl money can be tight sometimes. My wifes uncle used to be a boat mechanic, and he is supposed to take a look at the motor I have and getting back running again. He said it probably only needs the carbs cleaned out. It was running, and had a new water pump put in, but that was about a year ago. Yes, I have had the boat that long and just now getting to where I can work on it :cry: . If I can hurry up and get it running and sell it I will have the rest of the funds for the carpeting, fish finder, & etc.

I will be the first to admit that I am not boat savvy, and don't know a thing about boat motors. If this one checks out and runs good what would be a good price on it? It's a 4-Cylinder Mercury 50HP with the hydraulic Tilt/Trim. I am not sure of its age, but the Serial # is A133058, at least I think... It was on stamped on a plate, but that may be the serial number for part that holds the foot???? Like I said, I know nothing about them! :oops:

00dfd25b-547e-4646-8862-456c8e5b5601.jpg

a0a553f8-926f-4000-b16b-a5b39443301f.jpg

4ad94625-1f5a-48ac-873e-f176d09fb528.jpg

I guess I could tell/show y'all my vision on what I want this boat to turn out like! Once I get it back from the welding shop I am going to redo the transom, haven't decided if I am going back with wood or aluminum, the casting decks are going to be wood, grey carpet, and I want to paint the boat black & red. The paint scheme may be a bit ambitious, but I think I can do it. Since I have had some free time on my hands this week I done a little sketch up. Its a bit "Trackerish". I am going to leave the bottom of the Hull Bare Aluminum, and just paint the interior and above the water line. I'll get someone to do the vinyl lettering "Liquid Medication" at the rear of the boat when I go get my registration numbers put back on.

1227418d-b96b-46d5-be03-fef6458438b9.jpg

Looks like it will be an awesome boat! Good to see someone else from around here, too. I am curious, though. Where are there electric only lakes around here? I'm not really interested in fishing them, I'm just curious is all.

Thanks!

I fish a lot down at Camp Mac. Its a private lake at the foot of Cheaha Mountain. You have to live on it to have access, luckily my wife's Grandmother has a house on it! Its not technically an electric only lake, but it is not really big enough for a motor at the same time. Whenever Camp Mac is in session (Kids Camp on the side of the lake) they let the kids ski in the middle, but all they are doing is circles. I would say that it is somewhere around 50-60 acres. (The Top Lake, I haven't ever fished the bottom.) Everyone that lives on the lake just uses trolling motors, keeps it quite and no one has to worry about wakes.

As for the other electric only lakes I go to Coleman Lake & Sweet Water Lake which is in the Talladega State Forest, a couple of water reservoirs such as Hillabee which is also on the side of Cheaha Mountain, Shin Bone Water Shed which is close to Delta, and the last on would be Delta State Lakes.

Now if I lived up your way near Guntersville there would be no way I would even think about removing my gas motor! You have some great fishing up that way!

For motor 800 seems reasonable asking price with hopes of getting 6 or 7. Nice boat! Score on the aluminum!

Pweisbrod said:
For motor 800 seems reasonable asking price with hopes of getting 6 or 7. Nice boat! Score on the aluminum!

Thanks Pweisbrod! That's what I was wanting to hear!! If I can get around 600-700 then it would be as if someone paid me 100-200 dollars to come and get the boat, trailer, aluminum, & etc! My goal is to build a good quality fishing boat on the cheap. Those two hardly ever go hand in hand, but with the free fabrications/welding, free aluminum, free blue board foam, and as soon as I can get this motor sold I think I will be heading down the right track. Unfortunately I just found out tonight that my wife's uncle had a heart cath today, so I am not sure when he will be to take a look at the engine. I may hook the water up to it and put in some fresh gas/oil and see if I can't get her to fire up over the weekend. The faster I can get it running the faster I can sell it!

Got around to tinkering with the motor today, and was successful! I'll be putting it up for sale as soon as I can determine its year.

I am not sure how to post a Video, but here it is running.

Card Board is turning into Aluminum!! I can't wait to get it back and start prepping for paint!

Console w/ wiring housing extension:
1f23a64a-afda-4efb-9a6c-e057498622ad.jpg

Full Plate closing in back storage area:
2d345bae-e4b9-407d-9af3-dfc935106fc3.jpg

Rear Storage Compartments:
8075d790-1e97-4ef1-9642-809a4994f93c.jpg

634f7c41-6399-4304-afdb-43a51e2e8179.jpg

Platform Extenstion to mount trolling motor straight:
8552d7e2-3fd0-46fc-ac21-933ebc684b32.jpg

wingsnhammers said:
Dang! You are really moving right along! You are going to have an awesome boat for next to nothing.

Thanks! I am hoping to have the motor sold tomorrow. I have had several potential buyers, but I think the guy that is coming tomorrow is pretty serious since he is driving 60+ miles to check it out. I hope it does sell soon, that's going to speed things along quicker. I have everything line up to buy, just waiting on the funds! I am going to keep a cost list as soon as I start making all the purchases, I've got some pretty big plans!

Just ordered my carpet and glue from Sportsmanship Guide. $176.21 including shipping for 8'x25' of grey carpet & 1 gallon of carpet adhesive. That takes care of that. Now I have a large order to place at iBoats.com. They are having a huge Spring Sale right now where you can save 20-30% on most items.

I guess now I should start a running cost list so that I won't forget anything and it will be easy to keep up with.

Boat Purchase:
Sea Nymph 16-1/2' Bass Attacker Boat - $500
Boat Trailer - Came w/ Boat "Free"
50HP Mercury Motor - Came w/ Boat "Free"

Interior:
(2) 12'x4'x1/8" Sheets of Aluminum - Came w/ Boat "Free"
Welding & Fabricating to my design - Gift From Friend "Free"
(9) Sheets of Blue Board Foam - Gift From Friend "Free"
Rivets - $10
GluvIt - $40
8'x25' Gray Lancer Marine Carpet - $132
(1) Gallon of Lancer Marine Carpet Adhesive - $25
(2) Tempress Red/Gray Navistyle High Back Folding Chairs @ $107 each - $214
(6) Seadog Large Flush Pull Handles @ $2 each - $12
(4) Marine East 4" Black Nylon Cleats @ $2.50 each - $10
(2) Marine East Cup Holders w/ Drains @ $2.50 each - $5
(6) Marine East Black 3" Anti-Chaff Rings @ $3 each - $18

Electrical:
2008 Motorguide Pro Series 75# Thrust 24V Trolling Motor - $100
(1) Marinco 3-wire Connect Pro Trolling Motor Receptacle, Plug & 6 Guage Wire Adapter Kit - $57
(1) 6-Gang Fuse/Switch Panel - Came W/ Boat "Free"
(1) Seasense 5-gang Fuse/Switch Panel w/ outlet - $31
(1) Sea Choice 48" LED Stern Anchor Light w/ Base - $42
(1) Seasense LED Bow Navigation Light - $39
(2) Seasense Mini LED Courtesy Lights @ $5 each - $10

Pumps/Plumbing:
(1) Attwood Sahara 500GPH Automatic Bilge Pump - $43
(2) Attwood Tsunami 500GPH Livewell Pumps @ 24 each - $48
(1) T-H Marine Automatic Aerator Timer & Switch - $59
(1) Flow-Rite Power Stream Nozzle - $11
(1) Flow-Rite Pump-Out/Recirc Aerator Combo w/ (1) 3/4" Black Thru-Hull - $22
(3) Flow-Rite 3/4" Black Thru-Hull @ $4 each - $12

I will continue to update this list as the build goes on.

Well, I am going to be ate up with anticipation for this new stuff to come in. This build is worst than crack, I cant keep my mind off of it!

Last night I started a wiring schematic for the boat and finished it up today. Until I get all of the equipment in I wont know what size ckt breakers and fuses I need, this is just more or less something for me to go by for pulling the wires in. I have never rewired or in this case wire a boat before, but I think that what I have is correct. If any of you electrical gurus see something wrong please let me know!! I tried to use pictures of all of the items I ordered or have for the diagram. For some reason some of the lines are hard to read in the picture when I uploaded, but if you zoom in you can see them. The yellow one (which will be brown) between the aerator and the timer is the worst one to see, but that is the common between the aerator pump & switch.

d3503266-2f79-4595-9099-6d727c062a0d.jpg

What a score on the Tin! =D> Your updates will make that the perfect all-electric. I saw you only ordered 1 gal of carpet glue. I would consider getting another gal. That tin has alot of angles and if you spread the glue to thin (it should be a 1/8 notch) I don't think it will last very long and you will end up repairing in the near future. With the amount your putting into this tin another $ 25 for piece of mind makes sense to me. My 2 cents. More pics!!

hueydr said:
What a score on the Tin! =D> Your updates will make that the perfect all-electric. I saw you only ordered 1 gal of carpet glue. I would consider getting another gal. That tin has alot of angles and if you spread the glue to thin (it should be a 1/8 notch) I don't think it will last very long and you will end up repairing in the near future. With the amount your putting into this tin another $ 25 for piece of mind makes sense to me. My 2 cents. More pics!!
Thanks!! I thought about the glue, and I think I should have enough. The boats not getting a whole lot of carpet, just on top of the decking. If I see I am running short ill place another order. They were pretty quick about getting it here. The left over carpet I was planning on redoing my bunks on the trailer, in which I can use staples also. Thanks for the advice!!

Well got some free time this weekend to get a little more done.

First I recruited some help to clean out the boat:
15313b68-cbfc-4b45-b89c-1193328b4530.jpg

While I had some help I fugered I might as well get started on yanking out the transom:
c8059fde-c19d-4811-9e4a-2cc5b314d223.jpg

d1f6d431-f9df-492f-82d0-0f92e8c09a3f.jpg

Cut the new transom, here is the test fit:
2d8eeeeb-6a51-4976-8555-c9ab4da73c38.jpg

Now it's glued and drying over night. Tomorrow I'll put the first coat of sealer on it.

Latest posts