Aluminum Bass Tracker Renovation.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restrained

Reaction score
I have been a lurker here and figured it was time to speak up. My name is Mike and the wife and I reside in Northeast Ohio.

Years ago I owned a Bass Tracker and loved it dearly. Unfortunately life happened and I was forced to part with the boat because of a divorce.

Recently I purchased a small 12' aluminum MirroCraft deep V hull. I was not happy with the handling of the V hull especially if I stood on the elevated fishing platform. I decided to move forward to a larger, wider, and more stable fishing platform so the search was on.

The things I wanted most was a aluminum boat. Something that I could launch easily if I was alone. A modified V hull as was my 1st Tracker. 16 foot in overall length. I really liked the idea of stick steering from the front of the boat. And a large livewell.

Several months after my search started I found a boat to my liking on Craigslist. The boat is a 1992 Bass Tracker PanFish 16 Special, equipped with a Evinrude Force oil ejected 40 HP outboard.

The boat has some issues, soft flooring, worn out carpet, electrical issues, and in need of a general face-lift. My plans are to totally gut the boat and work from the hull up.

I'm sure I'll ask more than a question or two and if you aren't already bored to death please stick with me. Sure it's going to be fun. (Wink)

What it looked like when I drug it home.

Attachments

• boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,315
  • boat8.jpg
    boat8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,315
Two more before the start of the demolition.

Attachments

• boat9.jpg
    boat9.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3,310
  • boat10.jpg
    boat10.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 3,310
The boat at one time was a home for hungry mice. There were more than a few wires with little or no insulation and they built nests in the flotation foam.

Attachments

• boat12.jpg
    boat12.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3,307
  • boat13.jpg
    boat13.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,307
Off come the seats and livewell and some wood

Attachments

• boat14.jpg
    boat14.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3,306
Here I have straightened the rub rail, the winch has already been replaced.

Attachments

• boat15.jpg
    boat15.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,303
Some of the rotted wood. It is not my intention to replace the wood as I would rather use 3/16" thick aluminum sheet so this never happens again.

Attachments

• boat17.jpg
    boat17.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 3,298
As I pulled the floor I ran into many more the the mouse hotels.YUK!
The foam must have been open cell as it was waterlogged and heavy. In their infinite wisdom Tracker for some unknown reason used steel screws. The best way I fount to deal with them was a air chisel.

Attachments

• boat18.jpg
    boat18.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3,274
Look at this mess, here you can see a mouse hotel.

Attachments

• boat19.jpg
    boat19.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 3,271
Wonder what the record is for the most mice nests found in a boat? I might be the winner.

Attachments

• boat20.jpg
    boat20.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 3,270
Anyone want any wet wood or foamboard?

Attachments

• boat21.jpg
    boat21.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 3,267
First cleaning with a special chemical that we use to clean air conditioners.

Attachments

• boat22.jpg.jpg
    boat22.jpg.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 3,264
After second application of cleaner followed by a good rinse

Attachments

• boat23.jpg
    boat23.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 946
I sprayed a small spot on the lower portion of the boat to see how well it cleaned the crud off. See for yourself

Attachments

• boat24.jpg
    boat24.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 946
Here yu can see the crap rolling off even before its rinsed. This all takes place in less than 5 minutes

Attachments

• boat25.jpg
    boat25.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 946
Are we having fun yet? Well it's been a long day, been up since 3AM so I'm going to hit the rack. More to come.....

Attachments

• boat26.jpg
    boat26.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 945
Looks like a good start. The Panfish always was one of my favorite designs. Open floor with enough room to work and play. Sadly Tracker builds cheap production boats and sell them at a premium. At least you can tell where the screw heads are by the rust. :)

Suggestions, go .100" max for you floor. You can probably get away with .062 if the frame span isn't over 16" or .80". 3/16" is way too heavy for the application.

For the foam I'd use the rigid panels and cut them to fit under the floor (as long as you have a lot more of it up high so the hull doesn't turn turtle it it sinks).