Alumancraft 1442 Console? Center or Side?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarba11

Reaction score
I have a newer 1442 rivet Alumacraft that is currently electric only. Looking to ad a 20-25hp outboard and want a console. Like the style of a center but am not opposed to a side if that is more practical. Not too concerned about the room lost with a center, I usually stay put when I'm fishing. Any thoughts on a center in a 1442? Will stability be an issue? Pictures would also help if there are any, haven't seen much on this...

A center console in a 42" wide boat will limit the amount of room you have to maneuver around the sides when going from the front to the back, while a side console will have all your body weight to one side of the boat.

In my opinion a side console is more practical in a boat that small.

I have a 15 footer haven't measured the width yet but I'm pretty sure its a 1542. It has a side console that I like a lot, but I am considering moving the console forward and centering it up on the bench because I don't like how low the wheel sits, it would also allow me to make the rear deck bigger. I would say 1442 isn't too small, just watch the width of a center console otherwise you are going to have hard getting around it.

20140115_171359_zpsyeyofhab.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341120#p341120 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » Yesterday, 16:08[/url]"]Honestly....no console. Tiller is the best option for a 1442.

+1. I'm a big fan of tillers too. I use one along with a grab bar on my 20hp and it works great. It lets me sit, stand and move around freely while underway while still keeping my weight along the center line. I made both my tiller extender and grab bar out of PVC and they both work great. You can also buy fancy carbon fiber and aluminum versions if you have the money. If you go the console route, bear in mind it's gonna cost you. There are lots of little bits and pieces (cables, fittings, binnacle, etc...) all of which can nickle and dime you to death and will eventually fail and need to be replaced, so take your time before you start spending your money. If you have to have a console, I would go with a center console with a jump seat in front of it, again to keep the weight evenly distributed along the center line. If you go with a side console, the boat will probably lean and pull to that side when you're alone and underway. You can get trim tabs to compensate, but that's more time and money. While a side console does let a passenger sit next to you, it also puts more weight in the rear of the vessel. It's all a balancing act. So you'll just have to find the best set up for your situation most of the time. There is not "perfect" layout. Keep us posted.

Latest posts