14' Arkansas Traveler

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Hey guys, Been lurking a while. Bought a 14' Arkansas Traveler and started my build on it. Thought I would start a Build thread, to keep up with it.
Here is when I brought it home.

After gutting all the seats and 200lbs of water logged foam.

Here is a Evinrude 66' 5hp I bought for $40.

All cleaned up and Primered inside.

Two coats of Rustolium grey
Front deck framing started. All 2x2.

Rear Deck Framing

60' Evinrude 18hp Fastwin, bought for $50, This will go on boat and sell the 5hp.

Frame for Plano tackle boxes, will be built into front deck.

Front deck almost done. You can see the built in tackle storage.

It is a slow process, will add more as I get it done. Trying to get done by spring, to start fishing!

Welcome bulrid8, your build is moving right along. I really like you racking system for the plano storage, very nice. Keep up the good work.

Very cool boat. Looks like you bought the utility fishing boat version and I bought the ski boat version ( same hull design different interior layout ). I'm going to try to get mine finished by the time the crappie start to move in. Very cool boat cant wait to see it finished.

Very cool boat. Looks like you bought the utility fishing boat version and I bought the ski boat version ( same hull design different interior layout ). I'm going to try to get mine finished by the time the crappie start to move in. Very cool boat cant wait to see it finished.

You are doing a great job on your rebuild! I like your tackle box trays, did you use screws or rivets to fasten the metal together?

Thanks guys. The frame for tackle boxes is all riveted. About 30 minutes to design and build it.

...Long time lurker, first time posting...

I had to jump in on the conversation to say that I have the exact same boat! Mine still has the bench seats. I bought it last June, replaced the wood, and fished out of it as is. Over the last month I have added 2 seats, a fish finder, and a bow mount trolling motor. Eventually I want to put down a floor and add a front deck.

It's interesting that yours has the middle bench support cut down because that's exactly what I have been thinking about doing. I would love to put one big floor in the middle with some storage boxes on the side that can double as seats when I bring 2 people along.

I'm also interested to know how that 18hp moves it along. I have a 6 and it's pretty dang slow. That was before I overhauled it this winter, though. It may be a little better now.

Anyway, it's a great boat with lots of character. You're going to love it.

I haven't even had the 18hp on it yet. Just bought it last week. I did take the middle bench out and it will have a flat floor with storage boxes on each side. Putting a 7' box on one side for rod storage and a 4' on the other side for general storage. The sides are secured to the front and back deck, for support. Once I get boxes built, I will see if it needs the sides attached there too.

On a hold with the inside, so I can take boat off trailer and do the bottom. Plus rework the trailer. Then I will finish the inside.

One thing I will say with these boats, is the wood have held up great. The transom and gunnels are original and in great shape, from sitting in the weather. I did spar them heavily and am thinking of doing a cover over gunnels so it protects them more.

Same thing for my boat with the wood. It's new enough (1961 :LOL2: ) that it doesn't have wood gunnels but it still has the original transom. All I did was sand it down and apply spar urethane to it.
transom002_zpseaed8577.jpg

sanded
001_zpsafd0db03.jpg

spar urethaned

I'm really interested to see how your boat comes out. It sounds similar to what I was thinking on mine. Looking forward to seeing more of your build!

Mine is a 1960 (I think). The gunnels are just in fair shape. Some sections of the outer rim are rotted and about a foot or two is missing on the back left. Transom is solid, though. I am going to re-water proof it, but it has years of service left.

I am also impressed with the rivets. I have not found any of them to leak.

What did you use to cut the middle bench support?

CCM, have you had your boat out yet? What motor do you run?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343897#p343897 said:
CSL » 05 Mar 2014, 21:59[/url]"]I'm really interested to see how your boat comes out. It sounds similar to what I was thinking on mine. Looking forward to seeing more of your build!

Mine is a 1960 (I think). The gunnels are just in fair shape. Some sections of the outer rim are rotted and about a foot or two is missing on the back left. Transom is solid, though. I am going to re-water proof it, but it has years of service left.

I fished my boat pretty hard for two years. Tore it down to do some maintenance and make it more fishable. I want to make it look nice it was real ratty before with 8-10 layers of peeling paint. It had a makeshift casting deck that worked ok but the boat had little to no storage. But now that is going to change. Check out my build too https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33352#p342522 . I currently run a 2011 4hp 4 stroke Tohatsu.

CSL » 05 Mar 2014, 22:59[/url]"]I'm really interested to see how your boat comes out. It sounds similar to what I was thinking on mine. Looking forward to seeing more of your build!

My middle support was cut down when I got it. It had a flimsy aluminum floor in it already. The side brackets were still mounted to haul. I pulled them and filled in holes.

ccm said:
CSL » 05 Mar 2014, 21:59[/url]"]I'm really interested to see how your boat comes out. It sounds similar to what I was thinking on mine. Looking forward to seeing more of your build!

I fished my boat pretty hard for two years. Tore it down to do some maintenance and make it more fishable. I want to make it look nice it was real ratty before with 8-10 layers of peeling paint. It had a makeshift casting deck that worked ok but the boat had little to no storage. But now that is going to change. Check out my build too https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33352#p342522 . I currently run a 2011 4hp 4 stroke Tohatsu.

Subscribed!

Well, I wire wheeled the entire bottom. Had to get all the bondo off it that someone thought was a good patch material. Then used Coat-it on all the seams and rivets. Once it dries it will get sanded and primed, then four coats of Rustolium grey on bottom. The upper half will be blue. That will get done, once its back on trailer.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394382907661.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394382907661.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 3,108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394382928263.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394382928263.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3,108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394382943789.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394382943789.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394382957193.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394382957193.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,108
Finished up bottom paint. Three coats of Rustoleum grey. Then made a cover support, before the rain hit!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394978292603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394978292603.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 734
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394978367201.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394978367201.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 734
Thanks. Haven't decided if top half will be red or blue. Letting the wife decide, so she feels involved!

Been working on back side boxes. One side is switch panel,storage and cupholder. Other side is radio, 12v outlets and dry storage for cell phone.

Will have a charger and aux wire to radio in compartment. That way I can listen to Pandora, while fishing. Still have to finish up both of them, then start on side boxes.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395266352569.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395266352569.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 686
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395266372558.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395266372558.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 686
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395266390028.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395266390028.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 686
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395266409080.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395266409080.jpg