Mirrocraft ???? Closed to open bow conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Silver

Reaction score
Good day to all.
The snow has finally melted, so this project can get underway. However, I would like some help in identifying my new-to-me boat.
All I know is that this is a mirrocraft. Other than that I have no idea what year or model this is. PO said that this boat used to have a windshield. It measures 16 ft from the top of the bow to the transom. Widest portion measures 73 inches (just after the dashboard). Transom width measures 64 inches and 20 inches high. Sides are 24 inches from gunnels down to the bottom.
The plan is to remove the bow cover and get more space in her.
Not sure on how to post images, so hope this works!

IMG_156835476749291.jpegIMG_156844276615014.jpeg
IMG_156847882541529.jpeg
IMG_156860386936059.jpeg

I was able to get a 1988 60hp Mariner OB for her, elec start with remote and steering.
The final look hasnt been decided. I am still thinking of a color scheme for her. Any ideas? Any and all recommendations are welcome.
I will also be getting the world's ugliest trailer that came with her up to snuff, to match the update on the boat.

Thanks in advance to all.
Rob

Can you remove the bow cover without doing any damage to the boat or cover?
I like little runabouts and personally wouldn't do it. Can you find an open boat to start with?

+1. It would be a shame to cut into an old, vintage tinny that's made it intact this long :/ Why try to turn a car into a truck anyway? Besides, the cap on some of these old hulls is actually structural and cannot/should not be altered. I would look for a Jon boat or semi-V hull with an open bow. Thankfully, they're cheap as chips and usually posted on c-list for a few hundred bucks. Maybe you can even trade some one.

Kfa, lckstk,

Based on your recommendations, I had to rethink all the pros and cons of making her into an open bow.
The reason I would like to open her up is for added casting space for when I am fishing. But, a friend of mine gave me a great idea, and now I have come up with a plan on how to keep her as a closed bow.
The new idea will still require me to "shave off" some of the bow cover .....about 4-6".....and re-do the dashboard. In the end, it should still give me good storage space under there while giving me a good casting platform up front.

I will have to see if these ideas will translate nicely into the real world.
If not, I will need to open her up.

At the price I got her for, I will be hard pressed to find a better deal, or even a swap. What really drew me to this boat is how deep it is and how much I can raise the floor while still keeping at least 18-20" of side wall inside the boat.

Wish me luck!

Most of those closed bow boats used the top piece as the structure to hold the nose together. Remove/alter it and you may weaken it too much. Take lots of pics and post them so we all can see what you are doing and give us all a few days to respond.

Latest posts