Unknown 12' Aluminum V Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Y_J

Reaction score
This is my first post on TinBoats but have been reading a lot the last few nights, here. I recently bought a 12' aluminum V hull with an old Gamefisher 3.5 HP outboard. The boat it's self has absolutely no identifying marks, stamps, or tags other than inside the transom is a 5 digit number stamped. "20430". I don't know what make the boat is or the year model either and the seller didn't know either. If anyone could help with the ID I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll post a couple of pics of it tomorrow night.
I want to seal up some cracks in the upper edges. Was thinking of JB Weld. I also want to put a few wood planks down on the floor to have a flat surface to stand/walk on. (I'm not the steadiest stander at times) :lol: Good thing I can swim. I've got a few more ideas floating around in the head but don't want to over do the weight. Especially since I don't even know what the safe weight limit is on this boat. I'd also like to find out the max HP motor for this boat if I can.
Its intended purpose is the same as most folks here, FISHING, lakes and a couple of the rivers here.
If any of ya'll have any ideas or thoughts on this double project (boat and motor) I sure would welcome any kind of input. Thanks in advance.

YJ

Welcome to TinBoats! :WELCOME: I'm not a big fan of JB Weld on aluminum boats because it tends to crack over time. I suggest 3M5200. If your wanting a relatively quick fix I'd go with the fast cure which will cure in 24 hours. I just bought a tube to seal all of the seams and rivets on my 14ft v hull. when you post some pics of your boat I'll see if I can ID it, but I'm sure somebody on this forum will know what you have.

Thanks so much, ccm. I wrote the 3M5200 down so I can go check into it. The photos are coming right up. Thanks again.

As promised, here are the photos that I took today. Well, some of them :roll: Click the photos to enlarge.

12' Aluminum Boat 1 by Herb Dunn (YosemiteJunkie), on Flickr

12' Aluminum Boat 2 by Herb Dunn (YosemiteJunkie), on Flickr

12' Aluminum Boat 3 by Herb Dunn (YosemiteJunkie), on Flickr

12' Aluminum Boat 4 by Herb Dunn (YosemiteJunkie), on Flickr

12' Aluminum Boat 5 by Herb Dunn (YosemiteJunkie), on Flickr

12' Aluminum Boat 6 by Herb Dunn (YosemiteJunkie), on Flickr. This is the 5 digit number I spoke of.

Thank you, again for any help, ideas, or thoughts.

From the pics it looks like there is some issue with the gunnels. The metal seems like it has a lot of wrinkles in it from stress. Usually there is an extruded aluminum profile used for the gunnels that's welded or riveted on and acts to strengthen the sides of the boat. It's hard to know from the photographs whether yours has them or not. It looks like the sides terminate with a sort of half-round bend. If you can incorporate some way to beef up the gunnels with whatever work you might plan it would be a good idea.

Thank you, Bobberboy. This is my first boat and plan on learning a lot about all this from it. Talk about a learning curve :)
So, over time, I'll be looking to ya'll quit abit. Thanks again.