My Alumacraft Journey

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
Been awhile, Greetings again Tinboats. Had a Cskiff for quite sometime but Im back in the game. The story begins several months ago..

(Pic 1) I purchased an 06' 1436 w/ 04' 25hp, 06 Trailer for $1500. Nice little rig.

(Pic 2) My third or fourth time taking it out I managed a stress fracture along the bottom of the boat. Lots of water. Had to pull the drain plug and goose it back to the ramp. Made it! [-o<

Afterwards I decided its best to get something bit wider with a transom rating to match the motor. So sold it as is and..

(Pic 3) Went to Academy and bit the bullet on a 2014 1540.

Attachments

• beachin.jpg
    beachin.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,357
  • really.jpg
    really.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,357
  • q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,357
I've got some friends that join me occasionally, both prefer the bow which makes me nervous..

(Pic 1) Here they are now up the creek looking for trouble..

(Pic 2) So I decided on some Handrails on the bow and stern to help keep them inside the boat. Also helps when they are seated properly and others to have something to hold onto.. This little rig will do around 27-30mph.

(Pic 3) In addition I asked the weld shop to extend the bow platform by fabbing the braces for me.. No 2x4 hacks on this new boat! Total material / labor cost $350.

Attachments

• wled2.jpg
    wled2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,353
  • welded.jpg
    welded.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,353
  • creekn.jpg
    creekn.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,353
Meanwhile the trailer was worrying me.. The tires were dry rotted, the lights didn't work, and the bunk hardware had scummed to the salt. It was also a 14' trailer with a 15' boat a top.. Not big deal but none the less.. While I was at Academy last they had a 15' New trailer for $600, so I sold mine for $350 and bought a new trailer..

Also started work on cutting out the platform from 3/4 ply, and painted the hand rails. The Rustoleum Deep Forest green camo cans seem to match fine with OEM color.. Went everywhere looking for OD. No dice.

More to come:
Carpet deck, Depth Finder, Nav lights, Forward mounted Batt Box and gas tank, nic knacish...

Attachments

• decker.jpg
    decker.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,351
  • hadn.jpg
    hadn.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,351
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,351
Looks very clean. The weld shop did you proud.

New trailer? Wow. Can't say I've ever had one of those.

Is it wonderful? I bet it is wonderful.

:)

Love the railings, was thinking of adding a lower one to my boat for looks and as something to grab on if need be. Not bad on the money spent either. 8)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364324#p364324 said:
gillhunter » Today, 16:18[/url]"]Good to see you back sixgun! Good looking project.

Thanks Gill ! I'll be looking to take part in the next box pass. Still have my Tboat shirt. Wear it proudly.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364323#p364323 said:
Ail » Today, 15:57[/url]"]Love the railings, was thinking of adding a lower one to my boat for looks and as something to grab on if need be. Not bad on the money spent either. 8)

There are several aluminum weld shops in and around my town... Prices aren't too bad. This one particular shop has done a console tower for me, flotation pods, and more. Love fab work..

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364306#p364306 said:
Kismet » Today, 13:31[/url]"]

New trailer? Wow. Can't say I've ever had one of those.

Is it wonderful? I bet it is wonderful.

:)

Lol! It is nice. My first. Makes me want to go out of state.

(McClain was kind enough to provide the cheapest lights possible. Will have to be replaced as they have stopped working already.) On the plus side the box on the trailer is aluminum! I'll concede but I'll still be making a call to inform them in hopes they will change their setup so the next guy doesn't get the short stick.

--------------

Was able to finish up some lose ends tonight. Got the carpet on the deck, mounted the motor, applied my Reg #s and some grip tape. Heads up to all those that slip and slide on their tin.. Don't go to HD or Lowes and buy that expensive slip grip tape. Just go on ebay and buy some skate board grip tape. It's cheap , lasts forever, and has great adhesive. I still have a 1'x5' sheet. I'll be wearing it out shortly.

I'll be selling my giant ice eating igloo shortly and swap it out for a little Yeti 35. Should free up a lot of room. Just waiting on one to pop on on Clist.. Should take a week or so, down here they are everywhere. You've got to be insane to buy one new.

Attachments

• decker1.jpg
    decker1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,300
  • grippersticker.jpg
    grippersticker.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,300
  • sider.jpg
    sider.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,300
Those are some nice railings. I have a short story to share in relation to that bow riding. Back wgen I wasnt as worried about safety, my at the time 8 and 9 yr old daughters were riding on the bow. I was barely going fast enough to hold the boat on plane. With a descent chop I failed to identify a rock about the size of a vw bug sticking about 4-6 inches above the water. Needless to say we we hit it and launched the boat barely touching the skeg. The boat slowed so fast that I watched in horror as my kids went over the bow and under the running boat. In a panic I raised the motor not even taking it out of gear. One child washed off to the side and I couldnt find my youngest. As I was getting ready to jump in she popped up next to the boat and later explained she had managed to hold onto the keel when she went over. Thank god they survived with only bumps and bruises. Every since that day, nobody rides on the bow, kill switch on wrist, and jackets on while under way

Latest posts