1985 Sea Nymph bass boat hull up custom rebuild

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

This is my first time posting!

Project boat= 1985 Sea Nymph Bass Attacker 16.5' with a 40hp Evinrude

This took me 7 months working mostly 1-2 days a week with a few setbacks and constant re-imagining along the way. I decided to document my project as I worked and then post all at once, instead of updates along the way.

Forgive my lack of details about materials, sizes and written information in general... I will rely more on pictures to explain than anything else.

Here is the Bass boat to Center console flats boat story. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chiroflorida on 26 Oct 2014, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

PA Delaware Fisher

Post by PA Delaware Fisher »

That's awesome man! Enjoy it!

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

First on the list is replacing the (mulch-like) transom...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

While the boat is mostly stripped down, it was time to flip it over prep and steel-flex the bottom and paint the sides.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

Next step is the floor. I am lucky enough to have a metal recycling center nearby that sells aluminum fairly cheap.

I ran irrigation drip hose up the chines in order to run wiring under the flooring.
I laid down foam for floatation and sound reduction.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

I chose the center console style at this point... This is where I got creative...

I repurposed an angle-sided aluminum truck tool box.. It turned out better than I expected and makes a great, lockable electronics storage area. It holds an onboard 3 bank charger and a battery. Near the steering wheel I mounted a switch panel and gas gauge.

The steering cable was long enough to reach, but i had to buy longer shift and throttle cables. The controls were easiest to mount on the left side of the console. It was awkward to use at first, but after 5 minutes it seemed natural.
Last edited by chiroflorida on 26 Oct 2014, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

Now on to the rear deck, flotation sections, storage areas and hatches.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

The front deck was originally two-leveled, so I added a support brace in the center and along the edges to make it into a single front deck. There is open storage underneath, a 12 gallon aluminum fuel tank, a trolling battery and two sections of closed storage. I then added decking along the gunnels (repurposed bleacher seat) to connect the front and rear decking.
Last edited by chiroflorida on 26 Oct 2014, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

While creating this post, I realize that there are a few details I still need to get pictures of... I will soon post pictures of the gas filler hatch and the front compartments.

As with any project, I still have some work to do. I plan on adding a swim platform with a ladder in the near future.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Thank you to all who have posted their projects before me, it was a great asset in helping with mine!

PA Delaware Fisher

Post by PA Delaware Fisher »

VERY impressed with your console idea!!! =D> I might use that. You would prob be able to sell some if you made a few!

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

Thanks! -The original idea came from this forum!

I forgot to mention some other finishing touches...

I used inexpensive interlocking foam mat on the deck for comfort and glued it down with 3M adhesive...

I put in flush mount LED navigation lights in the front...

I installed a three bank charger in the center console... One battery in the back, one in the console, and one up front...

The original 40hp Evinrude had issues, so i switched it out with a 60hp Johnson....
Last edited by chiroflorida on 26 Oct 2014, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

One more glimpse at the starting point..

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

Today I took a few more photos of the boat, highlighting the storage compartments I built into the decking and the unusual gas filler hatch.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

I forgot to mention the hatch handles I used. They are Southco brand stainless handles. I found them on eBay at a reasonable price. They work very well with the thin aluminum decking i used.

chiroflorida

Post by chiroflorida »

Lately I've been fishing more than working on the boat, but I have managed to add a few more things.

I glued down foam mat to the floor for a cleaner look, sound reduction and a bit of traction. It also helps keep my rods and reels in better shape when trailering the boat.

I used 5200, glueing the floor section first, then each side.

When time allows, I have plans to add LED strip lighting inside the boat, a tilt/trim unit and a swim ladder.